Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Got any PEI info

Got any PEI info

Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

marcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Got any PEI info

Hi everyone, we are just new to this forum which i might add is great!! We have just moved to Ontario 5 months ago and I have been really homesick and quite down. I have been reading some of the threads posted on this site over the past few days which have made me lol and some have made me cry (about experiences on moving away from home). I log on to this forum in the morning when i have dropped the kids off at school, then i can't seem to log off!! You lot are so great and it's so good to know that my husband and i can just tippy tappy to expats and get help if we need to or just sit read and enjoy your threads. I can't believe we've been planning our trip to Canada for over 3 years and now we are here, we just find this site!! Could have done with you all alot sooner!!

P.S. we were the ones looking for info on ******** (thanks to all who replied) We are now looking for info on PEI, it looks like a wonderful island is there anyone who lives there or knows anything about it, any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance to such a great bunch!

Last edited by Sue; Oct 27th 2006 at 1:10 pm. Reason: Moved to Canada forum at request of OP
Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:41 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got any PEI info

Originally Posted by marcandclare
We are now looking for info on PEI, it looks like a wonderful island is there anyone who lives there or knows anything about it, any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance to such a great bunch!
Welcome to British Expats, glad to hear you like it here.

Just a little heads up, you've posted this in the wrong forum.

This area "The Maple Leaf" is for off topic stuff, you know like jokes and general messing about. If you are looking for info, say like you wanted info on PEI then you should try the Canada Forum.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

marcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond reputemarcandclare has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Got any PEI info

Originally Posted by Hangman
Welcome to British Expats, glad to hear you like it here.

Just a little heads up, you've posted this in the wrong forum.

This area "The Maple Leaf" is for off topic stuff, you know like jokes and general messing about. If you are looking for info, say like you wanted info on PEI then you should try the Canada Forum.

Cheers
Steve
okay thanks for that, excuse my ignorance but is there a quicker way to transfere it over than typing it all out again!! I,m not to clever with computers!
thanks Clare
Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:24 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

okay thanks for that, excuse my ignorance but is there a quicker way to transfere it over than typing it all out again!! I,m not to clever with computers!
thanks Clare

No retyping required it apears a moderator has done it for you.

Thank you moderator.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 29th 2006, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone, we are just new to this forum which i might add is great!! We have just moved to Ontario 5 months ago and I have been really homesick and quite down. I have been reading some of the threads posted on this site over the past few days which have made me lol and some have made me cry (about experiences on moving away from home). I log on to this forum in the morning when i have dropped the kids off at school, then i can't seem to log off!! You lot are so great and it's so good to know that my husband and i can just tippy tappy to expats and get help if we need to or just sit read and enjoy your threads. I can't believe we've been planning our trip to Canada for over 3 years and now we are here, we just find this site!! Could have done with you all alot sooner!!

P.S. we were the ones looking for info on ******** (thanks to all who replied) We are now looking for info on PEI, it looks like a wonderful island is there anyone who lives there or knows anything about it, any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance to such a great bunch!
Hi,
I am not a regular poster on this forum, but....if you print in P.E.I. at the Search This Forum heading you will have access to information previousaly rendered. I hope things settle for you soon.
Regards.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:41 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

You could do worse than look up or4ngecrush's website. There are some pics you can paper your dreams with

I knew a young Canadian couple who moved out there so ofc their circumstances are different, but they moved back to 'civilisation' as they saw it as soon as they could find a buyer for their house (which they did, quite quickly.) The hubby had spent every summer of his childhood on the island and couldn't wait to move but after he arrived he couldn't (or didn't want to) get a job in the construction field so he spent 6 months on unemployment insurance then got an extremely low paid job as a social worker. Problems with their house - replacing windows, their water in their well being poisoned and unusable until they installed an expensive UV lamp/filter type thing down there - they had a bit of a nightmare... but like I said, circumstances prolly very different for them.

The people I heard were friendly and supportive, very community minded by all accounts, and the landscape is supposed to be idyllic even by Canadian standards.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by windward
You could do worse than look up or4ngecrush's website. There are some pics you can paper your dreams with

I knew a young Canadian couple who moved out there so ofc their circumstances are different, but they moved back to 'civilisation' as they saw it as soon as they could find a buyer for their house (which they did, quite quickly.) The hubby had spent every summer of his childhood on the island and couldn't wait to move but after he arrived he couldn't (or didn't want to) get a job in the construction field so he spent 6 months on unemployment insurance then got an extremely low paid job as a social worker. Problems with their house - replacing windows, their water in their well being poisoned and unusable until they installed an expensive UV lamp/filter type thing down there - they had a bit of a nightmare... but like I said, circumstances prolly very different for them.

The people I heard were friendly and supportive, very community minded by all accounts, and the landscape is supposed to be idyllic even by Canadian standards.
Hi thanks for replying, are you saying that it's not a good place to move to, or was that just your friends experience?
Old Oct 30th 2006, 10:23 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Type PEI into the search function on this forum and you'll get a lot of info - From memory there are several sometime posters who live there.

I've visited PEI in the summer and yes its idyllic in the summer at least. Reminds me of south Devon in UK - rolling hills, red soil and sandy beaches. I really liked the place. BUT, in the summer it is mobbed by tourists which is a good thing - vital if not the most important part of the economy and a bad thing if you dislike tourists. Other industries on PEI seem to be pretty much limited to Potato farming, Anne of Green Gables (a multimillion $ industry in its own right ), Fishing and I think a bit of call centre. In the winter PEI pretty much shuts down and gets a LOT of snow. It's also a little isolated with a flight to Halifax or drive via either ferry or the confederation bridge needed to travel anywhere. The drive is about 5 hrs IIRC.

So it all depends on what your circumstances are and what you want/need to do for a living. If you have money to buy a house outright and what they used to called 'independent means' then it could be great. If you need a regular job to exist then it could be challenging. The job opportunities for decent fulltime well paying jobs are going to be more limited than say Halifax and much more so than TO, Calgary etc. The famous quote 'scenery is great but you can't eat it!' applies.

HTH,
AX
Old Oct 30th 2006, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Type PEI into the search function on this forum and you'll get a lot of info - From memory there are several sometime posters who live there.

I've visited PEI in the summer and yes its idyllic in the summer at least. Reminds me of south Devon in UK - rolling hills, red soil and sandy beaches. I really liked the place. BUT, in the summer it is mobbed by tourists which is a good thing - vital if not the most important part of the economy and a bad thing if you dislike tourists. Other industries on PEI seem to be pretty much limited to Potato farming, Anne of Green Gables (a multimillion $ industry in its own right ), Fishing and I think a bit of call centre. In the winter PEI pretty much shuts down and gets a LOT of snow. It's also a little isolated with a flight to Halifax or drive via either ferry or the confederation bridge needed to travel anywhere. The drive is about 5 hrs IIRC.

So it all depends on what your circumstances are and what you want/need to do for a living. If you have money to buy a house outright and what they used to called 'independent means' then it could be great. If you need a regular job to exist then it could be challenging. The job opportunities for decent fulltime well paying jobs are going to be more limited than say Halifax and much more so than TO, Calgary etc. The famous quote 'scenery is great but you can't eat it!' applies.

HTH,
AX
Hi AX, Thanks for your reply, I'm a nurse and hubby is a plumber, we did a job search and nothing came up for me! so probably not a good place for us to settle.
Thanks for the info take care Clare
Old Oct 31st 2006, 12:53 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Hi thanks for replying, are you saying that it's not a good place to move to, or was that just your friends experience?
Was trying to get some balance in there... it seems a perfect place to move to if you're the right kind of people. The couple mentioned have half their parents on the island who adore it and encourage everyone they can to move there.

Jobs as you have seen seem to be a little thin on the ground though t'internet probably won't give you the whole story. The people I was talking about were quite young - 26 and 32 - and though he couldn't get a job, she found a very good one quite quickly. Worth mentioning again that when they finally did put their house up for sale it was snapped up in a timescale even a Brit would find quite impressive so someone wanted to get out there badly enough and either had the means or the employment arranged to make it work.

's all what you make it =) Knowledge is power and all that.