Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Google to list property ....

Google to list property ....

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Google to list property ....

In the UK at least.... (link)

I guess it's too much to ask for something similar to happen here, would be cool though
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice
Default Re: Google to list property ....

Originally Posted by Alan2005

I guess it's too much to ask for something similar to happen here, would be cool though
Canada does appear to lag behind UK on its use of the web
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

1. Go to maps.google.com (not maps.google.ca)
2. Click the 'More' button (next to 'Traffic').
3. Select 'Real Estate...'
4. Scroll to desired Canadian location

Tada...Canada is 'with' the times.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005

But who will pick up expats from the airport and refund 25% of the fee (an admission that they charge at least 25% too much) to them?

Who will provide them with PMs and tell them great things about the community they are about to move to?
Old Dec 4th 2009, 12:06 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
But who will pick up expats from the airport and refund 25% of the fee (an admission that they charge at least 25% too much) to them?

Who will provide them with PMs and tell them great things about the community they are about to move to?
Its a tough business to make money in, especially when you are starting out, you will often find new agents offering all sorts of deals just to get their foot in the door.

If they are providing a good, professional service, then they can market their services any way they want, if that involves discounts etc., they are no different to every other business out there, that offers discount coupons, sales, etc. Except of course lawyers, who never discount their services .
Old Dec 4th 2009, 12:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
1. Go to maps.google.com (not maps.google.ca)
2. Click the 'More' button (next to 'Traffic').
3. Select 'Real Estate...'
4. Scroll to desired Canadian location

Tada...Canada is 'with' the times.
Ooh, it works. Does this explain why realtor.ca (mls.ca as was) is way less comprehensive than it used to be?

There's a house for sale around the corner which is not listed on realtor but shows up on google.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 12:54 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Almost Canadian;8144934]But who will pick up expats from the airport and refund 25% of the fee (an admission that they charge at least 25% too much) to them?

i have and do help lots of expats move over. I have never charged them for my services and thus never given them 25% refund for something they didn't pay for. If you are talking about the 25% of the commission i earn when they buy a house. Why would I do that. When i was in the Police in the UK I never gave someone 25% of my pay. Why would i be expected to do it in Canada.

But i must remember to try it. Go to the doctor (who i do not pay for directly) and then for him having the 'privilege' of writing me a prescription i shall ask him for 25 % of his pay

There are plenty of realtors doing lots of work and have no need to cheapen themselves by offering big discounts, those that do are never in business for long or just do the job as a second job to pay for clothes or vacations. Those that are in business for an income that can feed the kids etc offer quality of service and are keen to get repeat business which sustains them through good and bad economies.

Last edited by Helen Parnell; Dec 4th 2009 at 12:57 am.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 2:39 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
Canada does appear to lag behind UK on its use of the web
No shit sherlock

Behave you.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Helen Parnell;8145148]

i have and do help lots of expats move over. I have never charged them for my services and thus never given them 25% refund for something they didn't pay for. If you are talking about the 25% of the commission i earn when they buy a house. Why would I do that. When i was in the Police in the UK I never gave someone 25% of my pay. Why would i be expected to do it in Canada.

But i must remember to try it. Go to the doctor (who i do not pay for directly) and then for him having the 'privilege' of writing me a prescription i shall ask him for 25 % of his pay

There are plenty of realtors doing lots of work and have no need to cheapen themselves by offering big discounts, those that do are never in business for long or just do the job as a second job to pay for clothes or vacations. Those that are in business for an income that can feed the kids etc offer quality of service and are keen to get repeat business which sustains them through good and bad economies.
As this is directed at the way I do business I will explain why I choose to work this way.

To start with this is not a second job for me, I work to feed the kids too.

I enjoy what I do and I work very very hard ensuring my clients get good quality service and I get lots of referrals and repeat business.

Many Realtors offer deals to their clients and the only difference with me is I offer the discounts up front.

With regards to the 25% cash back I give to buyers, I am able to do this by keeping my over heads low. As I don't have to spend thousands in advertising or other costs, I am able to pass these savings back to my clients, the business model sells itself and is proving to be very successful.

Another thing I never do is criticize the way other Realtors go about their business as this is not professional. At the end of the day people have a choice and many vote with their pockets.

Almost Canadian - I don't charge a penny for the relocation assistance I give to people and I even extend my help to people that are not buying houses.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:19 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Sam-in-Okotoks;8145369]
Originally Posted by Helen Parnell

As this is directed at the way I do business I will explain why I choose to work this way.

To start with this is not a second job for me, I work to feed the kids too.

I enjoy what I do and I work very very hard ensuring my clients get good quality service and I get lots of referrals and repeat business.

Many Realtors offer deals to their clients and the only difference with me is I offer the discounts up front.

With regards to the 25% cash back I give to buyers, I am able to do this by keeping my over heads low. As I don't have to spend thousands in advertising or other costs, I am able to pass these savings back to my clients, the business model sells itself and is proving to be very successful.

Another thing I never do is criticize the way other Realtors go about their business as this is not professional. At the end of the day people have a choice and many vote with their pockets.

Almost Canadian - I don't charge a penny for the relocation assistance I give to people and I even extend my help to people that are not buying houses.

i was not directing this to you. i was just responding to 'almost Canadians post'

Note to all realtors. This post is not directed to anyone. If you feel it is directly at you, then it is not.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:23 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

i was not directing this to you. i was just responding to 'almost Canadians post'

Note to all realtors. This post is not directed to anyone. If you feel it is directly at you, then it is not.
Wether it was directed at Sam or not it was a 'brutal and unnecessary post.
You do business your way, Sam does business her way. Neither is right, neither is wrong.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Wether it was directed at Sam or not it was a 'brutal and unnecessary post.
You do business your way, Sam does business her way. Neither is right, neither is wrong.
Sorry i just think you all just missed my point of the post.

WHY should I give 25% of my pay to some one who used my services.

butch ..... I can not remember what you do, but can i have 25% of your pay please.

Realtors are small time business people, most on average are not the next Donald Trump or Bill Gates. So why do people expect a 25% refund when they are trying to earn a living to feed their kids and pay their college fees.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:35 am
Banned

Sorry i just think you all just missed my point of the post.

WHY should I give 25% of my pay to some one who used my services.

butch ..... I can not remember what you do, but can i have 25% of your pay please.

Realtors are small time business people, most on average are not the next Donald Trump or Bill Gates. So why do people expect a 25% refund when they are trying to earn a living to feed their kids and pay their college fees.
People do NOT expect a refund, it is NOT a refund, one of the realtors I use reduces his fees IF he acts for both parties, I DO NOT ask for this he offers it, IF he were to stop offering this I WOULD NOT stop using his services as he is an EXCELLENT realtor who goes ABOVE and BEYOND what I expect.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
People do NOT expect a refund, it is NOT a refund, one of the realtors I use reduces his fees IF he acts for both parties, I DO NOT ask for this he offers it, IF he were to stop offering this I WOULD NOT stop using his services as he is an EXCELLENT realtor who goes ABOVE and BEYOND what I expect.
Obviously you do not expect a refund, but then if you were selling a house then you are the one paying the realtor and is in a position to negotiate. but to quote 'almost canadian'

'But who will pick up expats from the airport and refund 25% of the fee (an admission that they charge at least 25% too much) to them?'

Indicates to me that some are offering a refund. If they are expats getting pick up at the airport and are buying a house then they are not paying in the first place. They are getting paid 25% of someone's pay.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 6:12 am
Banned

Obviously you do not expect a refund, but then if you were selling a house then you are the one paying the realtor and is in a position to negotiate. but to quote 'almost canadian'

'But who will pick up expats from the airport and refund 25% of the fee (an admission that they charge at least 25% too much) to them?'

Indicates to me that some are offering a refund. If they are expats getting pick up at the airport and are buying a house then they are not paying in the first place. They are getting paid 25% of someone's pay.
OK Helen let me explain how the process works in YOUR business.

Generally there are TWO agents
one the listing OR selling agent (they act for the vendor)
two the BUYING agent (they act for the purchaser)

The BUYER PAYS for the house (do you understand that PAYS), the money (usually) goes to a SOLICITOR, they then pay off THE MORTGAGOR, then the LISTING Agent and BUYING Agent (this payment is generally called COMMISSION), any money left is paid to the VENDOR. Notice how the VENDOR at no point parts with any money?

Now the BUYING agent (in the case under discussion) decides to give 25% or their COMMISSION (note COMMISSION NOT PAY) to the BUYER. This is NOT a refund.

PLEASE note that (AFAIK) NO realtor will EVER keep 100% of the commission made (they have to pay the broker, office staff, fuel costs yada yada yada) so COMMISSION will NEVER be the same as PAY. PAY is what you get in YOUR POCKET (OK thats net pay I agree).

ONCE AGAIN I Reiterate
a) The PURCHASER pays the Realtor NOT the VENDOR
b) COMMISSION is NOT the same as PAY
c) just to make it clear to AC even if I agree homes are over priced its 12.5% not 25% (the commission usually being split 50/50)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.