Goods Landing

Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all
Default Goods Landing

Hi All,

Have had a look on the wiki and search but no luck, please can some let me know the answers to following questions please?!

goods landing - do you need to include everything? like watch, jewelery that you are wearing, toiletries in suitcase etc....

for both the goods landing and goods to follow, does the value of both lists have to be $10,000 or can it be $10,000 each or more, just trying to find out if it matters how much the total value has to be, i dont want to end up paying any tax on the goods....

Thanks,

MR79
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods Landing

Total Value does not matter. I think you are confusing it with the $10k level for CASH that you have to fill out the money laundering related form for.

The goods to follow forms typically apply to goods that are not in your immediate possession (ie in a container etc)
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

thanks...

another poster mentioned something about having to pay tax on goods over $10,000....i know about the cash bit....
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:59 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MR79

Was el-richo on this thread where I heard about the $10k too:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...93#post8150793

Bali
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

yep thats the one, im currently compiling the lists and just bit unsure about when doing the valuations....
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

A. Drewry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MR79
thanks...

another poster mentioned something about having to pay tax on goods over $10,000....i know about the cash bit....
New to this site, but had a referral from here so I though that I should check it out. I am a British expat working for an International Removals company (Taylor International).

The customs rule is that if you have any single item worth more than $10k in the shipment then they may charge you duties and taxes over and above the 10k (duty and tax amount is approx. 33%). The rule varies slightly depending on how you are coming to Canada. Work permit vs. landed vs. returning Canadian etc.

Good luck,

Arthur Drewry

Last edited by iaink; Dec 7th 2009 at 7:16 pm. Reason: Please keep business related links to your sig file.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah t'was me. It was just something the customs officer said when we "landed" the other week. She said we'd have to pay duty on any individual item (not total value of all goods) over the value of $10k.

I'd never heard that before until that point.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks.

as long as the lists can over $10,000 thats ok, the single items that over $10,000 i can scale back under $10,000.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

A. Drewry is an unknown quantity at this point

Good thinking. It is also helpful to take your movers inventory / packing list with you when you fly into Canada. You can use this list for the "list of goods to follow". By doing this you can save yourself alot of time! I have seen people value the inventory also - just put a value next to each box / item.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

JohnMarkh is an unknown quantity at this point

How detailed should be the list?
I have downloaded the http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...laires/b4a.pdf form and I hope I do not need to go as detailed as:
1. "Red Coat" - £35,
2. "Black Wool Coat" - £65,
3. etc.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 3:24 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MR79
thanks.

as long as the lists can over $10,000 thats ok, the single items that over $10,000 i can scale back under $10,000.
But make sure the value you put is reasonable. "Massaging" the truth may be a fact of life but being caught out in a lie is bad news. Don't assume that customs officers are stupid.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 6:41 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnMarkh
How detailed should be the list?
I have downloaded the http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...laires/b4a.pdf form and I hope I do not need to go as detailed as:
1. "Red Coat" - £35,
2. "Black Wool Coat" - £65,
3. etc.
We completed the forms like this and it was perfectly fine when we landed:

1, "Clothing" - £xxxx
2, "Jewellery" - £xxxx
3, "Suitcase x3" - £xxxx
4, "Linens" - £xxxx
etc