Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Goods to follow question?

Goods to follow question?

Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Tiggy has a brilliant futureTiggy has a brilliant futureTiggy has a brilliant futureTiggy has a brilliant futureTiggy has a brilliant futureTiggy has a brilliant futureTiggy has a brilliant futureTiggy has a brilliant future
Question Goods to follow question?

Our container is due in on the 24th October at Edmonton, just thought I would ask what the procedure is?

I assume when notified, we take our paperwork to customs for stamping and then delivery is arranged.

Would be grateful for any further comments.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to follow question?

Originally Posted by Tiggy
Our container is due in on the 24th October at Edmonton, just thought I would ask what the procedure is?

I assume when notified, we take our paperwork to customs for stamping and then delivery is arranged.

Would be grateful for any further comments.
Take lists to customs office, hang about a bit, chat, answer a few questions (did you live on a farm, have you got any alcohol...) - wait for the officer to call your delivery company and okay the container to be released. Ours did this in person and handed the phone to us after so we could co-ordinate a delivery time.

I'm certain the customs officer had decided that he wasn't going to inspect our container long before he even saw our lists or met us. He also made a quick call to the people on the agricultural side of things which went "You don't want to see it, do you? They're from Great Britain....no....we're not opening it either...."
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:41 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the removals company did all this for you? we get a door to door service, doesn't this mean they release it to the movers??

Confused of Devon
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ki76
I thought the removals company did all this for you? we get a door to door service, doesn't this mean they release it to the movers??

Confused of Devon
You still need to get the goods to follow list checked with customs yourself when your stuff arrives before it can be released and delivered to you. Or that's how it worked for us. We got a call from the company at the canada end to say our stuff was here and they told us where the customs place was. It got delivered a couple of days after we did the goods to follow, which wasn't anywhere near as intense or serious as we'd expected.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 11:54 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
You still need to get the goods to follow list checked with customs yourself when your stuff arrives before it can be released and delivered to you. Or that's how it worked for us. We got a call from the company at the canada end to say our stuff was here and they told us where the customs place was. It got delivered a couple of days after we did the goods to follow, which wasn't anywhere near as intense or serious as we'd expected.
Yep, same for us. We just had to go to the customs office, half a block away from the removals people. The guy there had a copy of our list, and just looked at it and asked if there was anything else we'd brought which wasn't on the list, then rubber-stamped it, and we gave it back to the removals guys and fixed a delivery date.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ki76

Confused of Devon
Hi
we used bishops move, exeter.
the local canadian agents was tippet richardson,
customs on landing weren't really interested in any goods to follow lists. a some weeks later , we had a phone call, a few days before container arrival, asking about customs, they offered to clear the container for us, I asked how much ? they said it was all in the price, I had one form to fill out,( and I didn't have any TV / x box / dvd / video serial numbers or model types etc, I just put down all as nil value due to pal , and the second hand value of computers in canada) but no problems, they express cleared it, and it all arrived OK
all very painless,
but wish we knew it was a one off duty free import of all goods, we might have squeezed in a bit more....
cheers
jerry
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
but wish we knew it was a one off duty free import of all goods, we might have squeezed in a bit more....
Only for used items, which as a general rule seems to be for items that have been unpacked that you have had for more than 6 months before landing.

They don't seem to be that fussy as long as you are honest and not taking the piss. We had a brand new king size matress strill in its original packing that we brought to match one of our beds. They weren't interested when I mentioned it.