Reload this Page >

Goods to follow - photos

Goods to follow - photos

Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:04 pm
robjmitch74

robjmitch74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goods to follow - photos

Hi,

All was progressing well with our planned move and we have Robinsons coming to ship our possessions on 20/21 October. As part of our discussion I was clarifying with them that they would prepare a detailed inventory list of items which we could add canadian dollar values to to use as our goods to follow list which is fine. However, they have now mentioned that we need to take photos of all our possessions we are shipping and burn these to a CD to present to customs as proof of ownership.

Apparently, customs in Canada have introduced this requirement in the last month, however, I've never heard of it before or from and of the other companies we had quote and can't find any information/guidance on this anywhere.

Is anyone aware of this requirement and what the guidance is. For example, we are shipping 100s of CDs and DVDs which we have packed into flight cases to reduce space. I presume we would not be required to take a photo of every individual CD/DVD but taking a photo of a flight case wouldn't prove anything?!

As it's only a week until we ship any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Rob
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future
Default Re: Goods to follow - photos

Originally Posted by robjmitch74
Hi,

All was progressing well with our planned move and we have Robinsons coming to ship our possessions on 20/21 October. As part of our discussion I was clarifying with them that they would prepare a detailed inventory list of items which we could add canadian dollar values to to use as our goods to follow list which is fine. However, they have now mentioned that we need to take photos of all our possessions we are shipping and burn these to a CD to present to customs as proof of ownership.

Apparently, customs in Canada have introduced this requirement in the last month, however, I've never heard of it before or from and of the other companies we had quote and can't find any information/guidance on this anywhere.

Is anyone aware of this requirement and what the guidance is. For example, we are shipping 100s of CDs and DVDs which we have packed into flight cases to reduce space. I presume we would not be required to take a photo of every individual CD/DVD but taking a photo of a flight case wouldn't prove anything?!

Thanks

Rob
We came over in Sept 4th and didn't have to take any photos of our possessions. We just showed them the intinary that the removal company gave us and they didn't even look at the insurance document. When the goods arrived we then took the itinary and insurance that showed the value in dollars, signed a piece of paper to claim our goods and that was that. So I am not at all aware of this so called new procedure. Roughly, when was this introduced?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Anita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really nice

Originally Posted by robjmitch74
Hi,

Thanks

Rob
Hi, We are shipping next week with Fox, they haven't told us this & I only spoke to them today with some queries. Also we had quotes from Robinsons & pickfords, neither of them said this.
We landed in June & took our goods to follow list with us, I think it recommended that you take photos of valuables, but we didn't bother & no-one asked for them.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:38 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that your removal company is talking rubbish.
The official cbsa guide http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4151-eng.html doesn't mention this at all, except in respect to jewelry.

I would recommend that you politely point your removal company in the direction of this official guide and decline to take such worthless photos.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:41 pm
robjmitch74

Thanks guys,

All Robinsons have told me is that it was changed in the last month and forms part of the 'proof of ownership' of goods (ie. it proves ownership, possession and use for those items which are old and we no longer have the receipts for)? No one mentioned it at the time of quote, not even Robinsons.

Apparently we can take photos of items together, ie. a photo of a room, but need to make sure that all items are included on a photo? I've asked them for guidance and all they've given me is the FIDI document from June 06 which is no help at all as obviously it was before the change!?!?

I've queried it a number of times as they keep giving me contradictory advice, ie. one minute I need to include all items, the next I can just take a photo of a box of books not showing them all?!? I presume they mean that as long as each individual item on the goods to follow checklist has a photo then grouped items can just have a group photo, but really feel like I'm blundering around in the dark!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:46 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I state again there is NOTHING on the CBSA ( they are the ones who deal with importing/exporting stuff) about this.
I know that packing your stuff up is stressfull, so I can understand how this is making you feel.
If you are really concerned then give the CBSA a call. They are usually very helpful in these situations.

I would then , obviously, go with their advice.

I would also be tempted to say a few choice words to your movers about actually knowing what they are talking about !
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

I too think they may be talking cobblers.... Vancouver Customs didn't even want to see our list when we moved here in June.

Unless there is a notice posted on the CBSA site I wouldn't worry.... maybe give them a call if you're worried, they are very easy to deal with.

If you have a digital camera, why not just take pictures of your house as is, and as you are packing.... Not in any real detail..... and just keep the pics on the memory card just in case?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:49 pm
Professional Cat herder

contact info for you

If you have any other questions, contact the Border Information Service (BIS) line. This is a 24-hour telephone service that automatically answers all incoming calls and provides general border services information. You can access BIS free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access BIS by calling 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. local time, Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak directly to an agent by pressing “0” at any time.

I agree that there is no harm in taking piccies but I'm angry on your behalf because half the time it seems that removal companies that really should know better come up with all kinds of crap. It's completely uncalled for and really adds to the stress!!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

jagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of light

I photographs jewelery but not other belongings such computers, furniture etc.., when I moved the stuff in, I affixed the copy of the Goods to follow form on the packing so that I don't get duty charged.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:05 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I have just phoned Canada Border Services Agency's toll free number. The woman who answered the phone said that there is no requirement to photograph possessions (except jewellery, in which case photographs are recommended).

She said that it might be an idea to print the brochure for new settlers on CBSA's website and show it to the shipping company that has made an erroneous claim about the requirements.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:37 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

We moved over just under 3weeks ago and never had to provide photo's of our stuff.

It maybe worth sacking them and getting a new company in.
We had to goto customs to clear our goods to follow and they just took a top copy and stamped our lists, ours was just grouped togeather nothing special and the customs guy never looked at it.

i went through months of worrying about of goods to follow and they never bothered with it
So like the others have said "i think your company is talking rubbish"

Good luck
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:53 pm
robjmitch74

Thanks everybody for all your help.

Glad to hear there's no issue - amazing how these things panic you as it gets closer to move date and can't quite believe that companies can have so little idea about what is required!

Let's just hope it's plain sailing from here on in!

Thanks

Rob
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Anita100
Hi, We are shipping next week with Fox, they haven't told us this & I only spoke to them today with some queries. Also we had quotes from Robinsons & pickfords, neither of them said this.
We landed in June & took our goods to follow list with us, I think it recommended that you take photos of valuables, but we didn't bother & no-one asked for them.
Hi Anita

We shipped with Fox they were plain sailing with no hiccups. Good luck with the move and see you soon.

Rachel