Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Goods to follow list-How strict?

Goods to follow list-How strict?

Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:53 pm
Finally here!

JimLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goods to follow list-How strict?

Hi All,
We landed in Toronto this past January 2012 and submitted our goods to follow list. We were hoping they would just let us past and not officially use this, till we returned in October, however they did.
We have had to replace a couple items that we listed, such as a lap top and mobile phone. However, since the serial numbers were listed on the original list, are we going to be charged tax on these 2 new items that weren't listed? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jul 24th 2012, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to follow list-How strict?

Originally Posted by JimLondon
Hi All,
We landed in Toronto this past January 2012 and submitted our goods to follow list. We were hoping they would just let us past and not officially use this, till we returned in October, however they did.
We have had to replace a couple items that we listed, such as a lap top and mobile phone. However, since the serial numbers were listed on the original list, are we going to be charged tax on these 2 new items that weren't listed? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
In theory; yes. Practically speaking; I doubt it very much.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:06 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimLondon
Hi All,
Thanks
If you are bringing them with you as luggage rather than shipping them, then they aren't going know are they. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

mcfly1313 is on a distinguished road

dont worry too much... as stated above...... we moved over bringing our bookcases (not on the original list ,different tent and extra electronics... ipods lappies and a couple of other things) there was 2 years between us activating and arriving
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Just let me know which flight you are on and date of arrival and which airport you will be arriving at and I will help you out

Seriously I wouldnt worry about it and as long as the goods have been used it wont be an issue.
Ownership, Possession, and Use
14. For the purposes of tariff item No. 9807.00.00:
(a) “ownership” means that the settler has acquired, by purchase or other means, the legal right to have goods as personal property and to exercise control over their use and disposition. Goods which are leased do not qualify;
(b) “possession” means that the settler has, in person, physically accepted the goods; and
(c) “use” means that the settler has actually put the goods into an action or service for a purpose for which they were designed or intended.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

TravelBunny101 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys wondering if you can please help... i'm using a shipping company to send my personal things to Canada three weeks before i arrive how do i conduct my goods to follow list if my goods will have already arrived? Also yes how strict are they...these are going to be clothes books shoes etc
Old Aug 21st 2012, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

TravelBunny101 is an unknown quantity at this point

also these are my personal items and I'm on IEC i've been getting conflicting info on whether i get charged tax on my items or not can anyone help me please?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question on the goods list. We are on a TWP so understand it's a similar process. How detailed does the goods list have to be? My example being the kids toys, do I have to detail exactly how many toy cars they have or can I just state that it is a box of toys? Same with DVD's, CD's & the like.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

2 x boxes of DVDs, 3 x boxes of toys, 2 x boxes of cutlery etc etc is fine.
Its the brand new stuff not declared we have a problem with or the prohibited goods.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
2 x boxes of DVDs, 3 x boxes of toys, 2 x boxes of cutlery etc etc is fine.
Its the brand new stuff not declared we have a problem with or the prohibited goods.
If we were taking our Xbox & PS3, would I need to state when I bought them? They will be in their original boxes as we keep boxes for everything, but one is 2yrs old & the other about 18mths. We have a few Hot Wheels cars still in their original packaging so would that be classed as new or not? You can see what year they are as it is on the packet & they are all between 2 & 10yrs old.

Thank you once again. You have been a never-ending source of info for us! People like you are truly wonderful, devoting your personal time to our endless amounts of strange questions & panic!
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In your case because you are on a TWP you are exempt from the used goods category as you are only here temporarily and it is expected that the goods will be exported once your TWP expires or the goods have been here for 12 months. All goods are exempt any taxes providing they are for PERSONAL use and not used in a business.
Your goods are not subject to the same restrictions as they would be if you were coming as a Former Resident or coming in as a settler.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-1-1-eng.pdf
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

jerseytocanada is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm landing on wednesday and my wife will follow in a month.

Do we both have to do a goods accompanying and goods to follow lists or do i have to include all her stuff on mine?

Thanks.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If the list is ready then you can present it when you land. If not tell CBSA that there are GTF and your OH will present the list on arrival. One list with copies is sufficient for a family.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

jerseytocanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If the list is ready then you can present it when you land. If not tell CBSA that there are GTF and your OH will present the list on arrival. One list with copies is sufficient for a family.
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply!

Can we both do our own lists? I have sorted everthing I want to bring but my wife hasn't even started on hers yet and I leave here tomorrow?

Thanks.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jerseytocanada
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply!

Can we both do our own lists? I have sorted everthing I want to bring but my wife hasn't even started on hers yet and I leave here tomorrow?

Thanks.
Sure bring your own list if that is what you wish to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.