Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Goods to follow?

Goods to follow?

Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

giggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nice
Default Goods to follow?

Hi,we are moving out to Canada in just over a weeks time and the shipping firm is collecting our things on Monday.They are providing a list of items for us to show immigration on arrival,my question is this all we need to show as goods to follow or do we need any other forms?
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:27 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goods to follow?

Hello there, my shippers who are coming on the 14th Jan told me the shippers listed everything and we just gave that to immigration, but not according to the ever famous "WIKI" good article here : http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow

If this is what you have to do for goods to follow I would take the time to fill them in too no matter what the shipping company said.

Good luck with your big move
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by giggimickey
Hi,we are moving out to Canada in just over a weeks time and the shipping firm is collecting our things on Monday.They are providing a list of items for us to show immigration on arrival,my question is this all we need to show as goods to follow or do we need any other forms?
The list supplied by the Shippers is exactly what I used as "goods to follow" - just filled in approx values next to each item on the list with a total at the end. Also hand written list with values of "goods accompanying" list (laptops, cameras etc).
This was accepted without any problem, both at the airport when we arrived and again when I went and cleared customs after our container eventually arrived.

I made copies of everything to hand over and this was appreciated as it saved them having to get up and walk over to the copy machine!

Here's a pic of page 1 of my list.

Good luck.

Rob.
Attached Thumbnails Goods to follow?-gtf-1.jpg  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

really useful
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

giggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nice

Thanks for your response much appreciated.
Good luck with everyone in the same boat.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
The list supplied by the Shippers is exactly what I used as "goods to follow" - just filled in approx values next to each item on the list with a total at the end. Also hand written list with values of "goods accompanying" list (laptops, cameras etc).
This was accepted without any problem, both at the airport when we arrived and again when I went and cleared customs after our container eventually arrived.

I made copies of everything to hand over and this was appreciated as it saved them having to get up and walk over to the copy machine!

Here's a pic of page 1 of my list.

Good luck.

Rob.
Rob - are the B4e forms not really needed after all then
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:24 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

i'd say the official forms are a help. what ever list you bring with you they will complete their b4 form as a cover.

sorting through my stuff and deciding what to take i made my own list in an excel sheet.
at landing the officer just wrote on the b4 form: "see attached list, 10 pages, total value cad xxx". i didn't do the clearing myself - but i would have heard if it had been a problem.

remember to include serial numbers for electronic goods and the like, include the approximate value - with a total on the last page, numerate your pages as page x of y and leave a bit of space for their stamp on each page. as rob said, bringing a copy speeds the process up.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by lof
i'd say the official forms are a help. what ever list you bring with you they will complete their b4 form as a cover.

sorting through my stuff and deciding what to take i made my own list in an excel sheet.
at landing the officer just wrote on the b4 form: "see attached list, 10 pages, total value cad xxx". i didn't do the clearing myself - but i would have heard if it had been a problem.

remember to include serial numbers for electronic goods and the like, include the approximate value - with a total on the last page, numerate your pages as page x of y and leave a bit of space for their stamp on each page. as rob said, bringing a copy speeds the process up.
As ever lof...many thanks
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alvic
Rob - are the B4e forms not really needed after all then
I didn't use them and neither did the customs man that dealt with us. We just took them to the office as directed to get the official "Casual Goods Accounting Document" and that was that.

These were what I used when clearing my goods through customs after the container arrived.

So I guess it's not really important what form it's on, more that you have listed all the goods to follow and the VALUE which is what they need.

You are entitled to bring your goods and they can arrive at a future date, but there has to be a cut off, you can't indefinitely be bringing in more stuff.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:19 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't use them and neither did the customs man that dealt with us. We just took them to the office as directed to get the official "Casual Goods Accounting Document" and that was that.

These were what I used when clearing my goods through customs after the container arrived.

So I guess it's not really important what form it's on, more that you have listed all the goods to follow and the VALUE which is what they need.

You are entitled to bring your goods and they can arrive at a future date, but there has to be a cut off, you can't indefinitely be bringing in more stuff.
rob, if i'm not very much mistaken the cut off for bringing in your household / personal goods tax and duty exempt is defined by what you have on the gtf-list and not a time line.

that's why i tell people to put on their list everything that they might think of bringing over. if they decide to give it away or sell or dump it in the uk - nothing happens. if they decide to bring it and it's not on the list there might be hassle and money involved.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lof
rob, if i'm not very much mistaken the cut off for bringing in your household / personal goods tax and duty exempt is defined by what you have on the gtf-list and not a time line.

that's why i tell people to put on their list everything that they might think of bringing over. if they decide to give it away or sell or dump it in the uk - nothing happens. if they decide to bring it and it's not on the list there might be hassle and money involved.
Yes, that's what I was trying to say - if it's not on your GTF list then you will pay duty on it, so it is indeed best to put it on your GTF list if you are unsure.
The same goes for those landning then actually moving later - put it all on your GTF list and decided closer to what exactly you are going to ship.

Another point to note is that when I went to clear my container through customs I was asked if there was anything else to come that I wanted to add to my list. After that he stamped the forms and it was a done deal.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 12:01 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well our customs man went and fetched a pile of blank B4 forms for us to fill in at immigration (without asking if we'd done them) and was very surprised (and pleased) when I handed over the ones I'd already done.

I would say you are more likely to need them than not...