Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Goods arrive before me?

Goods arrive before me?

Old May 27th 2008, 8:13 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goods arrive before me?

Hi,
OH is on WP in Toronto, we had planned for our goods to leave at the same time as us, so I would arrive and do 'Goods to follow'.

Container is now going earlier and will arrive before me? Brytor have said that this is not a problem and that OH will just have to go and produce passport, WP and Contract.

Does anyone have any experience of this situation? Container is booked in OH name.

Charlie
Old May 29th 2008, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods arrive before me?

If your OH is already there, and the container is in that name, it shouldn't be a problem..... was a GTF list done when OH arrived?
Old May 29th 2008, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about TWP holders, that's the first thing to look at - I can't seem to find the rules for TWP holders intending to stay <3yrs, but the CBSA site suggests different rules apply.

For PRs whose goods arrive before they do, I think they'll be held in bonded storage which is not cheap at all.

Last edited by Biiiiink; May 29th 2008 at 1:56 pm. Reason: typo
Old May 29th 2008, 1:49 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

People on a TWP of less than 3 years don't need to do a formal GTF list, just a detailed packing list which has to get stamped by the Immigration Officer on arrival.

That's what the CBSA told me, as it's assumed that all the goods are just being temporarily imported, and will all be re-exported within 3 years.
Old May 29th 2008, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

san38 has a spectacular aura aboutsan38 has a spectacular aura aboutsan38 has a spectacular aura about

Roughly how much does it cost to pick up your barrels, containers etc in vancouver?
Old May 30th 2008, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
People on a TWP of less than 3 years don't need to do a formal GTF list, just a detailed packing list which has to get stamped by the Immigration Officer on arrival.

That's what the CBSA told me, as it's assumed that all the goods are just being temporarily imported, and will all be re-exported within 3 years.
Our TWP is for 3 years and they scrutinized my list
Old May 30th 2008, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

Hi Charlie

We arrived in Calgary 2 weeks ago on a TWP. Customs told us they were not interested in our Goods to Follow list or our Goods to Accompany List as we were on a TWP and they assume that you will take home with you what you bring to Canada. They told us to keep our GTF list though in case we apply for PR at a later date and they may request a review. I contacted the shipping company in Calgary on arrival and they confirmed that was correct. Our container arrived on Sunday and we went to Customs to clear it on Monday...Customs asked for our GTF List but were only interested in the total sum of the contents in CAD, she stamped it and our container arrived today.

Hope that helps, I know several people have been told the same at Calgary Airport.

Good Luck

Julie
Old May 30th 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

san38 has a spectacular aura aboutsan38 has a spectacular aura aboutsan38 has a spectacular aura about

Is there a charge/fee for collecting goods? Did not really get an answer before.
Old May 30th 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

Hi Sans

We did not pay a fee when collecting our goods or when we went through customs at Calgary Airport..well except for the pup of course
Old May 30th 2008, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

o thanks for that rhodys, isn't it annoying when u join into a debate on this forum and people just ignore you. I guess that also happens in real life.

I don't just read on here i always like to join in a healthy debate, not to dehumanise anyone or be sarcastic.

I enjoy reading honesty and people's opinions not rude arrogant people, like i dare not name names but if the cap fits then wear it. ha ha ha
Old May 30th 2008, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by san38
o thanks for that rhodys, isn't it annoying when u join into a debate on this forum and people just ignore you. I guess that also happens in real life.

I don't just read on here i always like to join in a healthy debate, not to dehumanise anyone or be sarcastic.

I enjoy reading honesty and people's opinions not rude arrogant people, like i dare not name names but if the cap fits then wear it. ha ha ha
To be fair Sans, burying a question about customs fees in a question about goods arriving before an applicant, isn't the best way to get responses The best way is to start a new thread with a relevant title, i.e. "are fees payable to collect goods from customs?", and not one like "help!" or "need question answered".

People who might know the answer don't read every single thread, especially unhelpfully titled ones, and I don't check way downthread to see if a different question has been asked, don't know about you
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:17 pm

Thanks for the replys.... All really helfpful, and as has been suggested, the difference for us is the fact that we are on WP and are expected to leave.
Charlie
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 6:27 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
To be fair Sans, burying a question about customs fees in a question about goods arriving before an applicant, isn't the best way to get responses The best way is to start a new thread with a relevant title, i.e. "are fees payable to collect goods from customs?", and not one like "help!" or "need question answered".

People who might know the answer don't read every single thread, especially unhelpfully titled ones, and I don't check way downthread to see if a different question has been asked, don't know about you
Somebody call
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:14 pm

Not you babe, it was san38!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sans
Somebody call
Oops, I knew it wasn't you, just my typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.