Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Goods Accompanying & Jewellery

Goods Accompanying & Jewellery

Old Jul 14th 2021, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

dogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Goods Accompanying & Jewellery

Hi All,

Anyone had any practical experience bringing jewellery when landing in Canada?

I want to take the family jewellery with us when we fly out and I believe I will need to declare this as items accompanying me as opposed to those that will follow later. I am doing this in order to keep them safe as they are valuable. DoI need to have it valued prior and photographed?

What is the simplest way of doing this?

Thanks

Many thanks

Last edited by dogstar; Jul 14th 2021 at 6:31 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

dogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods Accompanying & Jewellery

Forgot to add, wife and I are returning to settle therefore I presume we can have one goods accompanying for us both or do we need one each? She is Canadian and returning having spent 12 years in the UK with me and I am going as a PR.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 7:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dogstar
Forgot to add, wife and I are returning to settle therefore I presume we can have one goods accompanying for us both or do we need one each? She is Canadian and returning having spent 12 years in the UK with me and I am going as a PR.
Please see the wiki 2 lists - one is goods to follow, one is goods accompanying... jewellery should be described and photo'd... you may also want to get a valuation

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada

Something like this..
List:
1 diamond ring gold band, 2 ct rose cut - $3000
1 bracelet, silver, inlaid with 6 garnets - $500
1 Rolex watch - serial number x7ubl3-b97b - $600
(don't forget you also need to list any electronic items with their serial numbers too)

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 14th 2021 at 7:41 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Please see the wiki 2 lists - one is goods to follow, one is goods accompanying... jewellery should be described and photo'd... you may also want to get a valuation

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada

Something like this..
List:
1 diamond ring gold band, 2 ct rose cut - $3000
1 bracelet, silver, inlaid with 6 garnets - $500
1 Rolex watch - serial number x7ubl3-b97b - $600
(don't forget you also need to list any electronic items with their serial numbers too)
Siouxie Thanks! I have read the wiki and it make sense however will I still need to take pictures of the jewellery that is accompanying me or just list the individual items and provide the value? What does CBSA do with the pictures? Are they used to x reference if I were to take the items out of the country at some point?

Last edited by dogstar; Jul 15th 2021 at 8:41 am.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Normally with high value jewelry items they should be appraised by a professional/jeweller/gemologist who will give you a certificate as well as taking photos.

From several CBSA D Memorandums
11. It is suggested that former residents obtain an appraisal report from a qualified gemologist, jeweller or their insurance agent for valuable pieces of jewellerythey intend to import. Such jewellery should be individually identified on the list of goods submitted to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-3-2-eng.html

19. It is suggested that settlers importing valuable pieces of jewellery obtain an appraisal report from a qualified gemologist, jeweler, or from their insurance agent. Such jewellery should be individually identified on the list of goods submitted to the CBSA.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-2-1-eng.html

Old Jul 17th 2021, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Normally with high value jewelry items they should be appraised by a professional/jeweller/gemologist who will give you a certificate as well as taking photos.

From several CBSA D Memorandums
11. It is suggested that former residents obtain an appraisal report from a qualified gemologist, jeweller or their insurance agent for valuable pieces of jewellerythey intend to import. Such jewellery should be individually identified on the list of goods submitted to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-3-2-eng.html

19. It is suggested that settlers importing valuable pieces of jewellery obtain an appraisal report from a qualified gemologist, jeweler, or from their insurance agent. Such jewellery should be individually identified on the list of goods submitted to the CBSA.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-2-1-eng.html
Thanks!
Old Jul 17th 2021, 12:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dogstar
Thanks!
You can reuse the documentation when you add "scheduled jewellery" to your house/tenant insurance.
Old Jul 18th 2021, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
You can reuse the documentation when you add "scheduled jewellery" to your house/tenant insurance.
dbd33