Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Goodbye to the SIN card

Goodbye to the SIN card

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:14 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goodbye to the SIN card

I've got to say nothing more clearly illustrates the difference between Canada and the US than this.

In Canada, they're scrapping the SIN card. If someone starts work for you, you're allowed under privacy laws to "request" (but not demand) that they provide ID so that you confirm who they are. If you have doubts, you can phone up Service Canada on a 800 number, sit there for ages, give them the SIN and they will "verify" it for you, which basically means they match the number to the name. None of which prevents someone from using someone else's number, nor for example could they tell you if the person has lost their PR status.

In the US, they've proposed (and will likely implement) biometric SSN cards, and employers will have a card reader to read the chip on the card, and the card reader will be linked to DHS SAVE in order to establish that the person is in fact authorized to work.

Currently, you have to give an I-9 to the employer and under penalty of perjury punishable by five years in prison, state how and why you are authorized to work and give ID listed on the form to prove it. Employers are also subject to sanction if they fail to collect the information or commit fraud.

In addition, there is the "E-verify" system that employers can sign up to (in a lot of States, have to sign up to) which also is linked to DHS SAVE to determine employment eligibility and the employer types in all the information from the I-9. And - they're linking it into all the DMV databases so the employer can see their ID photo in the system.

Land of the free, home of the brave...
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I've got to say nothing more clearly illustrates the difference between Canada and the US than this.
The method of administration of work identification numbers differs. Ah! At last I see how there's a great gulf between the way of life in the US and in Canada.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In Canada, they're scrapping the SIN card. If someone starts work for you, you're allowed under privacy laws to "request" (but not demand) that they provide ID so that you confirm who they are. If you have doubts, you can phone up Service Canada on a 800 number, sit there for ages, give them the SIN and they will "verify" it for you, which basically means they match the number to the name. None of which prevents someone from using someone else's number, nor for example could they tell you if the person has lost their PR status.

In the US, they've proposed (and will likely implement) biometric SSN cards, and employers will have a card reader to read the chip on the card, and the card reader will be linked to DHS SAVE in order to establish that the person is in fact authorized to work.

Currently, you have to give an I-9 to the employer and under penalty of perjury punishable by five years in prison, state how and why you are authorized to work and give ID listed on the form to prove it. Employers are also subject to sanction if they fail to collect the information or commit fraud.

In addition, there is the "E-verify" system that employers can sign up to (in a lot of States, have to sign up to) which also is linked to DHS SAVE to determine employment eligibility and the employer types in all the information from the I-9. And - they're linking it into all the DMV databases so the employer can see their ID photo in the system.

Land of the free, home of the brave...

I'll venture a guess and say there are a larger number of people trying to work in the US illegally vs Canada, so gotta have some sort of secure program in place to ensure only those legally allowed to work are working.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I have my old cardboard NI card as do I the original grey bi-fold 'National Identity' card from when I was born which has an expiry date on it for when I turned 16.

with Canada on ID, everything is tagged back to your SIN number - from the provincial health card, passport, drivers license, bank accounts & credit cards. Canada has 'big brother' mastered.

In the UK government department, last I found out was that they are still behind the times sharing interpepartment info or database cross checking
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I'll venture a guess and say there are a larger number of people trying to work in the US illegally vs Canada, so gotta have some sort of secure program in place to ensure only those legally allowed to work are working.
Bingo!
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:54 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
No longer being issued as of yesterday. New applicants or those switching over a temporary SIN (beginning with a 9) will just get a paper based letter/printout of the number.

Existing cards obviously remain valid and temporary cards will remain valid until their expiry date.
I still have my old SIN card but it doesn't have an expiry date.

Didn't know this:

Social Insurance Numbers that begin with the number "9" are issued to temporary residents who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents (e.g., foreign students, individuals on work visas).

And I didn't know this:

Social Insurance Numbers can be validated through a simple check digit process called the Luhn Algorithm.
046 454 286 <--- A fictitious, but valid SIN
121 212 121 <--- Multiply each top number by the number below it.

So the result of the multiplication is:
086 858 276

Then, add all of the digits together:
0+8+6+8+5+8+2+7+6=50

If the SIN is valid, this number will be evenly divisible by 10
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:21 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

with Canada on ID, everything is tagged back to your SIN number - from the provincial health card, passport, drivers license, bank accounts & credit cards. Canada has 'big brother' mastered.

In the UK government department, last I found out was that they are still behind the times sharing interpepartment info or database cross checking
Had to get a copy of my driving licence recently. DVLA wanted my NI number and passport number as well as my licence number
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:48 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
I still have my old SIN card but it doesn't have an expiry date.

Didn't know this:

Social Insurance Numbers that begin with the number "9" are issued to temporary residents who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents (e.g., foreign students, individuals on work visas).

And I didn't know this:

Social Insurance Numbers can be validated through a simple check digit process called the Luhn Algorithm.

086 858 276

0+8+6+8+5+8+2+7+6=50

lots of "not immediately obvious" math or formatting tricks like this around.

Ontario driving licence numbers are another with some particular "rules" that allow the casual observer to determine if they're real or not.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 6:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The method of administration of work identification numbers differs. Ah! At last I see how there's a great gulf between the way of life in the US and in Canada.
Oh come on, in Canada it's so laissez-faire and they almost don't care at all, in the US they're spending billions on it, literally. And in Canada there's some guy at the end of the phone and in the US they're trying to use technology to do it all. Typical Canada v. US contrast.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 6:23 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

I doubt there's that much of a difference. Loads of people working illegally in Canada. The difference is that Canada is more immigrant friendly and in the US there is total paranoia. Obviously if you can GET a work permit there are less people who are going to be illegally present.

Last edited by Steve_; Apr 4th 2014 at 6:27 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 6:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Hawk13

086 858 276

0+8+6+8+5+8+2+7+6=50

So that's what that payroll software I installed for some client was doing when I was testing it. I wondered why it rejected some numbers.

But anyway, it doesn't stop ID theft and under privacy law (which varies depending on where you live in Canada) you cannot demand any other ID to go with it. You can only request it.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 6:44 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

So that's what that payroll software I installed for some client was doing when I was testing it. I wondered why it rejected some numbers.

But anyway, it doesn't stop ID theft and under privacy law (which varies depending on where you live in Canada) you cannot demand any other ID to go with it. You can only request it.
Now that you know the algorithm you can generate your own valid SINs for whatever you like
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any 'hard' numbers for illegals in Canada vs. the US?
Old Apr 5th 2014, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt there's that much of a difference. Loads of people working illegally in Canada. The difference is that Canada is more immigrant friendly and in the US there is total paranoia. Obviously if you can GET a work permit there are less people who are going to be illegally present.
The US doesn't need to be immigration friendly.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 2:38 pm
The ride never ends

The US doesn't need to be immigration friendly.
Why do you think that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.