British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Goodbye Canada Hello Capital Gains Tax (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/goodbye-canada-hello-capital-gains-tax-829938/)

feelbritish Mar 29th 2014 3:53 pm

Goodbye Canada Hello Capital Gains Tax

It was suggested I post this here for input from any expats on the Canadian forum who have had this problem! Here is my original post:

Yesterday we were at our accountants office doing our annual business and personal tax and while chatting we mentioned we were thinking of returning to UK. As we have property there we have discovered that we have to pay Capital Gains Tax on the increase in the value.

As we left in 2002 and prices rose extremely high after that and have not really dropped much in our area we are going to be saddled with a large bill. We are extremely upset to say the least. This property is in UK, not Canada and we owned it before we emigrated and have been paying tax to Canada on the rental income every year since we have lived here.

How did other expats deal with this issue? We are looking at a large sum here and we are retiring so could not do with this curved ball

bats Mar 29th 2014 4:46 pm

Re: Goodbye Canada Hello Capital Gains Tax

Don't sell it.

Gozit Mar 29th 2014 4:48 pm

Should I post my grandparents' issue in here too or in it's own thread ?

rivingtonpike Mar 29th 2014 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 11195851)
It was suggested I post this here for input from any expats on the Canadian forum who have had this problem! Here is my original post:

Yesterday we were at our accountants office doing our annual business and personal tax and while chatting we mentioned we were thinking of returning to UK. As we have property there we have discovered that we have to pay Capital Gains Tax on the increase in the value.

As we left in 2002 and prices rose extremely high after that and have not really dropped much in our area we are going to be saddled with a large bill. We are extremely upset to say the least. This property is in UK, not Canada and we owned it before we emigrated and have been paying tax to Canada on the rental income every year since we have lived here.

How did other expats deal with this issue? We are looking at a large sum here and we are retiring so could not do with this curved ball

isn't it the case that if you move back into the house for a period of time and it becomes your primary residence, there's n o CGT to pay?

JAJ Mar 29th 2014 4:51 pm

And the original thread, to avoid duplication of comments, etc. is:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829817

dgagitw Mar 29th 2014 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11195877)
Don't sell it.

That's not an option. You are charged CGT as if you did sell it at the point you leave Canada.

OP - some ideas:

- if you've been in Canada less than 5 years then property you never bought into the country is excluded from the rule
- check into the primary residence thing, although it sounds unlikely to work to me
- move back to the UK near the start of January. That should minimise the hit I think. (Check that one with a tax accountant).

JonboyE Mar 29th 2014 8:57 pm

AFAIK there is no way around it. JAJ's comment on exchange rates is very pertinent. The gain may be a lot less that you fear. The maximum tax bill will be 23.5% of the gain in Canadian dollars. Less if you don't have much other income in the year.

The way I prefer to think of it is that you get to keep 76.5% or more of the gain you accrued for doing, well, absolutely nothing.

JonboyE Mar 29th 2014 11:50 pm

Just to add to an earlier suggestion you can minimize tax by leaving Canada at the beginning of January when you do not have any other taxable income in the year. Using 2013 rates, if your capital gain in $ was 500,000 then you would both pay $35,000 in tax. 70/500 is 14%. Not unreasonable IMO.

feelbritish Mar 30th 2014 4:00 am

Thanks JonboyE was waiting for your input! Thank you. I appreciate the suggestion that we leave in January. We have to pay it so we now need to know when is the best time to leave! And pay less tax.:fingerscrossed:

So I guess I may not be taking the Queen Mary 2 after all!

Jingsamichty Mar 30th 2014 2:49 pm

Is the capital gain based on the figures reported in the T1135s?

dgagitw Mar 30th 2014 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11196877)

Given that the T1135 only used to ask for broad bands for valuations for overseas assets then I don't see that any calculation could be driven from them. The amounts should be roughly reconcilable though. E.g. declaring a 1000 gain when you've been claiming to have 1,000,000 in assets might set some alaram bells off.

Jingsamichty Mar 30th 2014 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by dgagitw (Post 11196900)
Given that the T1135 only used to ask for broad bands for valuations for overseas assets then I don't see that any calculation could be driven from them. The amounts should be roughly reconcilable though. E.g. declaring a 1000 gain when you've been claiming to have 1,000,000 in assets might set some alaram bells off.

So what is actual liability for CGT based on? What if you 'just leave' Canada, will they come chasing you for a valuation?

feelbritish Mar 30th 2014 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11196877)

yes, we have declared property we own since we arrived and have also paid tax on the rental income we have received from it.

feelbritish Mar 30th 2014 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11196911)
So what is actual liability for CGT based on? What if you 'just leave' Canada, will they come chasing you for a valuation?

That is something we thought of as well, but do not want something like this hanging over our heads and any future come back. UK also taxes us on CGT so we have to make sure that we don't get taxed twice!

JonboyE Mar 30th 2014 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11196911)
So what is actual liability for CGT based on?

It is based on the increase in value, in Canadian dollars, during the time you live in Canada.

What if you 'just leave' Canada, will they come chasing you for a valuation?
The Canadian tax system is based on the assumption that everybody will diligently and honestly report their taxable income. There is a form (T1243) that you are supposed to complete to calculate gains and losses on emigration. They could cross reference this to T1135s you have filed.

The CRA have a special unit that tracks down undeclared foreign property of Canadian tax payers. They can search the UK Land Registry for example. However, their target is people who have c. $50 million in foreign assets. I have no idea how much effort they would put into tracking down people who failed to report more modest amounts.

I guess it is a bit like earning cash in hand and not reporting it. Some people do this and get away with it, others don't.

Jingsamichty Mar 30th 2014 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11196949)
It is based on the increase in value, in Canadian dollars, during the time you live in Canada.

The Canadian tax system is based on the assumption that everybody will diligently and honestly report their taxable income. There is a form (T1243) that you are supposed to complete to calculate gains and losses on emigration. They could cross reference this to T1135s you have filed.

The CRA have a special unit that tracks down undeclared foreign property of Canadian tax payers. They can search the UK Land Registry for example. However, their target is people who have c. $50 million in foreign assets. I have no idea how much effort they would put into tracking down people who failed to report more modest amounts.

I guess it is a bit like earning cash in hand and not reporting it. Some people do this and get away with it, others don't.

Thank you for that information, Jonboy.

feelbritish Mar 30th 2014 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11196949)

Thanks for making that so clear to us. We have decided not to take a chance, as we probably will not have the cash later, nor do we want it hanging over our heads.

feelbritish Mar 30th 2014 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 11195883)
isn't it the case that if you move back into the house for a period of time and it becomes your primary residence, there's n o CGT to pay?

I wish that was the case but sadly I don't think so.

Jingsamichty Mar 30th 2014 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 11196997)
Thanks for making that so clear to us. We have decided not to take a chance, as we probably will not have the cash later, nor do we want it hanging over our heads.

How do you intend to volunteer this information to the taxman?

feelbritish Mar 30th 2014 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11197088)
How do you intend to volunteer this information to the taxman?

We have to fill in a form with our final tax returns for the year that we leave. They already know we have property because we had to declare it when we arrived. We then get a valuation, take off what improvements to the property and that is the sum we declare.

Jingsamichty Mar 30th 2014 7:01 pm

Can the valuation be self-declared?

JonboyE Mar 30th 2014 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11197093)
Can the valuation be self-declared?

Yes. However, the CRA can ask for evidence. If you can't produce documentary evidence to support your valuation the CRA could substitute a higher one and then it will be up to you to prove their valuation is wrong rather than prove yours is right. An appraisal will protect you.

I deal with a lot more immigrants than emigrants but I have yet to see the CRA challenge a self-declared valuation. This is not to say that they never will, but I suspect if the value declared seems reasonable, and especially if it is accompanied by a large cheque, a return will be accepted as filed.

Jingsamichty Mar 30th 2014 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11197112)
Yes. However, the CRA can ask for evidence. If you can't produce documentary evidence to support your valuation the CRA could substitute a higher one and then it will be up to you to prove their valuation is wrong rather than prove yours is right. An appraisal will protect you.

I deal with a lot more immigrants than emigrants but I have yet to see the CRA challenge a self-declared valuation. This is not to say that they never will, but I suspect if the value declared seems reasonable, and especially if it is accompanied by a large cheque, a return will be accepted as filed.

I was thinking more about trying to submit a self-declaration accompanied by a rebate for a capital loss?

Jingsamichty Mar 30th 2014 8:33 pm

Jon, what do you make of this? (values for illustrative purposes only)

2007 - became tax resident in Canada. UK property worth GBP300,000. At 2007 exchange rate (2.20) this is worth $660,000.

2014 - leaves Canada. UK property worth GBP350,000, plus had GBP100,000 of refurbishment. At 2014 exchange rates (1.80) that's $630,000 value plus $180,000 refurbishment.

Could I claim a capital loss from 2007 to 2014 of:

$660,000 less ($630,000 + $180,000) = -$150,000?

;)

JonboyE Mar 30th 2014 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11197137)
I was thinking more about trying to submit a self-declaration accompanied by a rebate for a capital loss?

If the filing will result in a tax refund there is a significantly increased chance that the CRA will want to see supporting documentation.

dgagitw Mar 30th 2014 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11197196)

2007 - became tax resident in Canada. UK property worth GBP300,000. At 2007 exchange rate (2.20) this is worth $660,000.

2014 - leaves Canada. UK property worth GBP350,000, plus had GBP100,000 of refurbishment. At 2014 exchange rates (1.80) that's $630,000 value plus $180,000 refurbishment.

;)

That's a slightly implausible change in valuation for that specific time period except maybe for Northern Ireland...

Jingsamichty Mar 30th 2014 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by dgagitw (Post 11197239)
That's a slightly implausible change in valuation for that specific time period except maybe for Northern Ireland...

Implausible or not, if you could produce such valuations, would it fly with the CRA? And can the refurb costs be added to the tax set-off?

Novocastrian Mar 30th 2014 9:14 pm

Or for Norfolk. ;)

JAJ Mar 30th 2014 9:31 pm

Implausible, as in too much of an increase, or too little?
2007 was a peak year for U.K. property prices, and in nominal terms, prices (at least on average) have not yet recovered to that peak.

Jingsamichty Mar 30th 2014 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11197246)
Or for Norfolk. ;)

Well, I agree that Norfolk isn't full of Russians and Chinese snapping up property like there's no tomorrow, but we have done rather better than that. I was just pondering on how one might present a situation to one's maximum advantage. ;)

Jingsamichty Mar 30th 2014 9:40 pm

Anyway, the numbers are just an example, it's the principle of the valuation/exchange rate and documented refurb costs being offset against CGT to make a capital loss, and therefore a rebate against income tax paid, that I'm really interested to know.

Novocastrian Mar 30th 2014 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11197242)
Implausible or not, if you could produce such valuations, would it fly with the CRA? And can the refurb costs be added to the tax set-off?

You'd need to have kept all the receipts and not have done any renos on the black.

But you'd never do that, oh no. ;)

Edit: thinking about it, I wonder if you'd need to use the exchange rates for the time(s) the improvements were done. Dunno.

JonboyE Mar 30th 2014 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11197196)

;)

FMV on emigration £350,000 @ 1.8 = $630,000

Original tax cost £300,000 @ 2.2 = $660,000
Additional cost £100,000 @ 1.8 = $180,000.

On paper a $210,000 capital loss. (50% allowable.)

Spending £100,000 to achieve a £50,000 increase in market value might cause someone to take notice.

Is the house in joint names with Mrs. Jingsamichty? If so, you would put half on your tax return. Did Mrs. Jingsamichty and children live in the house for some of this time?

Most importantly, you can only claim capital losses against capital gains this year or any of the three preceding years. If you haven't paid tax on capital gains then there is no refund to be had. (You can carry capital losses forward indefinitely but if you are leaving this is not much use.)

JonboyE Mar 30th 2014 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11197277)
You'd need to have kept all the receipts and not have done any renos on the black.

But you'd never do that, oh no. ;)

Edit: thinking about it, I wonder if you'd need to use the exchange rates for the time(s) the improvements were done. Dunno.

Yes.

Jingsamichty Mar 30th 2014 10:10 pm

Jonboy, the font of all tax knowledge, I thankee.

It was a largely hypothetical question, the UK housing market has of course meant that house prices have risen a lot more than my example- even in Norfolk, Novo! I was more curious to see whether the exchange rate fluctuation and refurb costs alone could negate a potential capital gain, and it would seem they can.

All irrelevant in my case as I have never paid any CGT so have nothing to offset a Capital Loss against anyway. Now, if you could offset it against Income Tax, I'd have been very interested... :rofl:

Something for the OP to consider though, before she writes the cheque.

Novocastrian Mar 30th 2014 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11197298)
Jonboy, the font of all tax knowledge, I thankee.

It was a largely hypothetical question, the UK housing market has of course meant that house prices have risen a lot more than my example- even in Norfolk, Novo! I was more curious to see whether the exchange rate fluctuation and refurb costs alone could negate a potential capital gain, and it would seem they can.

All irrelevant in my case as I have never paid any CGT so have nothing to offset a Capital Loss against anyway. Now, if you could offset it against Income Tax, I'd have been very interested... :rofl:

Something for the OP to consider though, before she writes the cheque.

Yea, that's the catch. A CG loss doesn't equate to a refund, just to an offset against other CGT.

Edit: But since we perhaps have Jon's attention at the moment, do I have any CGT exposure on my soon-to-be retirement home in France? I paid cash for it in 2008 and will be leaving Canada next year. I doubt it's increased in value at all, except for renovations we've done. But should I get it revalued before we leave? I was tax resident in Canada when we bought it, it's never been rented and I haven't reported it on T1135 because it is property for personal use.

JonboyE Mar 30th 2014 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11197301)
Yea, that's the catch. A CG loss doesn't equate to a refund, just to an offset against other CGT.

Edit: But since we perhaps have Jon's attention at the moment, do I have any CGT exposure on my soon-to-be retirement home in France? I paid cash for it in 2008 and will be leaving Canada next year. I doubt it's increased in value at all, except for renovations we've done. But should I get it revalued before we leave? I was tax resident in Canada when we bought it, it's never been rented and I haven't reported it on T1135 because it is property for personal use.

If it is personal use property you are OK on the T1135 but yes, there is potential for a capital gain. I tend to be risk averse so if I was in your situation I would get an appraisal - even if it was just from a realtor rather than a qualified surveyor.

Novocastrian Mar 31st 2014 2:16 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11197385)
If it is personal use property you are OK on the T1135 but yes, there is potential for a capital gain. I tend to be risk averse so if I was in your situation I would get an appraisal - even if it was just from a realtor rather than a qualified surveyor.

Thanks Jon. And sorry for the late reply but we had dinner guests. :(

OK, but since qualified surveyors are not a French breed, I'll talk to M. Gosselin, the agent immobilier this summer.

99problems Mar 31st 2014 9:39 pm

Just a thought but exchange rate in 2002 was 2.25CAD$ to the pound and is now 1.85 so 40c lower. It would be possible to demonstrate an appreciation or gain in value of the asset but a loss when converted to CAD$ in whihc any CGT must be paid. Hence potetnially a refund would be owing as you have paid tax in CAD$ on rental income during that period. It seems to me you have been incredibly honest - I simply would not have declared income earned abroad - CRA isn't much brighter than HMRC.

R I C H Mar 31st 2014 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by 99problems (Post 11198899)
It seems to me you have been incredibly honest - I simply would not have declared income earned abroad - CRA isn't much brighter than HMRC.

How much experience do you actually have of dealing with CRA? - You've been here less than 2 years.

I got audited within 3 months of arriving in Canada and starting a business here. CRA can be very thorough.