Goodbye.....

Old Jun 1st 2012, 4:49 pm
BE gremlin

T-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Goodbye.....

Originally Posted by Tangram
Good news. Sounds like it wasn't Canada in particular you were aiming for, just 'somewhere else'.... maybe it's working out for the best.
Canada was my choice, OH wanted NZ. When we first started looking at emigrating for our next big adventure we met the criteria for Canada but not NZ. How things change
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry it didn't work out the way you wanted. Being shafted by a bureaucratic bollox-up is frustrating at best although more probably soul destroying. Although I tend to agree with el radicchio, not much point moving somewhere like Canada unless you've made a packet beforehand and are retiring or you've got a brilliantly paying excellent job that makes having to be here bearable, I think the UK has more to offer you.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:41 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few friends move to NZ. One couple came home after a year because the pay was shit and they hated it.

The other couple still live there and constantly complain about the way of live, chav mentality of locals, the weather, work, and the distance and cost to actually get anywhere else.

Still, may your dreams come true and your life be full of awesomeness. I hope your next 5 years are as fruitful as the last
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:45 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I have a few friends move to NZ. One couple came home after a year because the pay was shit and they hated it.

The other couple still live there and constantly complain about the way of live, chav mentality of locals, the weather, work, and the distance and cost to actually get anywhere else.

Still, may your dreams come true and your life be full of awesomeness. I hope your next 5 years are as fruitful as the last
Don't you mean more fruitful surely ?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:55 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Don't you mean more fruitful surely ?
I know what i wrote

It's in T-Bags best interest.

Last edited by el_richo; Jun 1st 2012 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by T-Pot
Canada was my choice, OH wanted NZ. When we first started looking at emigrating for our next big adventure we met the criteria for Canada but not NZ. How things change
Are you eligible for NZ now though? NZ seems to go down well with older immigrants, but not so much with younger ones. But the thing is as a NZ citizen you have certain rights in Australia as well.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 1:20 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calliope
Are you eligible for NZ now though? NZ seems to go down well with older immigrants, but not so much with younger ones. But the thing is as a NZ citizen you have certain rights in Australia as well.
My brother has lived in NZ for a number of years with his family and while it's not perfect, they seem very happy. I on the other hand, live in Canada with my family and we are also very happy. I think because he's on North Island and I'm on Vancouver Island, our circumstances and life styles are pretty similar.

Good luck - wherever you end up!
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 7:46 am
BE gremlin

T-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by calliope
The job I do now has an identical job description to the equivalent in NZ, if I apply and am successful they may be prepared to offer me a job to give me the required points while I apply for residence/work permit. With a job offer I appear to have 185 points.

It's worth a shot, if it doesn't work we'll try something else - or just get bored with the while idea and move to Cornwall...
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

The job I do now has an identical job description to the equivalent in NZ, if I apply and am successful they may be prepared to offer me a job to give me the required points while I apply for residence/work permit. With a job offer I appear to have 185 points.

It's worth a shot, if it doesn't work we'll try something else - or just get bored with the while idea and move to Cornwall...
Sounds like a plan
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

soconnell74 is on a distinguished road

I moved over to Canada in 2000 and its great here, but we took a family trip to NZ and Aus last year and loved it over there (so much I'd love to make another move). NZ is such a beautiful country! glad you have a plan forming, some things happen for a reason I guess ;-)
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 8:27 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on what you do for a living. For me, I'd make more in NZ than in Canada and would make significantly less if I moved back to the UK.

I'm a firm believer that you'll get people complaining anywhere they go - it depends on what their expectations where. If you want the city life of London, LA or even Toronto, you'll be disappointed. But if you want a less hectic, laid back life, NZ may be just up your alley. The weather - don't get that one as the weather in NZ is pretty good and compared to what? Lots to see and do in NZ and Aussie is a hop, skip and a jump away. It's obviously a little isolated but everyone knows that before they go, so don't complain about it when you get there.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 9:19 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Hawk13
I guess it depends on what you do for a living. For me, I'd make more in NZ than in Canada and would make significantly less if I moved back to the UK.

I'm a firm believer that you'll get people complaining anywhere they go - it depends on what their expectations where. If you want the city life of London, LA or even Toronto, you'll be disappointed. But if you want a less hectic, laid back life, NZ may be just up your alley. The weather - don't get that one as the weather in NZ is pretty good and compared to what? Lots to see and do in NZ and Aussie is a hop, skip and a jump away. It's obviously a little isolated but everyone knows that before they go, so don't complain about it when you get there.
People will always find something to complain about.

As for depending on the job and income. They were very financially stable but just didn't like the mentality, limited travel, isolation, and general shitness. They wanted to move forward, not back into the 1980's. Granted they'd never set foot there until they moved. It gave them a new love for the UK and they're now thriving back there loving it.

To each his own
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 9:43 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

As for depending on the job and income. They were very financially stable but just didn't like the mentality, limited travel, isolation, and general shitness. They wanted to move forward, not back into the 1980's.
Not sure why they'd move there then - just curious.

For me, I'm a little tired of the rat race here, everyone trying to keep up with the Jones's as they say, buying stuff they don't need, get further into debt - the American way. NZ is a simpler lifestyle - but then the Scottish Highlands would suite just as well (too bad the job opportunities aren't there)

Like you said - to each their own.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 10:52 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Not sure why they'd move there then - just curious.

For me, I'm a little tired of the rat race here, everyone trying to keep up with the Jones's as they say, buying stuff they don't need, get further into debt - the American way. NZ is a simpler lifestyle - but then the Scottish Highlands would suite just as well (too bad the job opportunities aren't there)

Like you said - to each their own.
They moved their because they believed the hype at both ends. The uk media hyperbole and the often touted simple heavenly NZ lifestyle. They did what many people do and for them it was a great experience that allowed them to appreciate what they had which enabled a much improved mindset and appreciation when they returned to the UK.

Keeping up with the jones is a a westernised (and probably industrialized country) thing so unless you truly moved into the middle of nowhere or into 3rd world poverty, it'll be there.

Personally, I choose not to play that game and stay out of the rat race. It's achievable no matter where you live. I had the same in London and loved it too. The main problem is lifestyle choice. Most people want the best of both worlds and it's simply not possible for them.

I count my lucky chickens every day and am always appreciative and content with what I have as often as possible. For me that's one of the keys to being happy. I couldn't live like many on here, always looking for the elusive nirvana.

Time for another beer
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

They moved their because they believed the hype at both ends. The uk media hyperbole and the often touted simple heavenly NZ lifestyle. They did what many people do and for them it was a great experience that allowed them to appreciate what they had which enabled a much improved mindset and appreciation when they returned to the UK.

Keeping up with the jones is a a westernised (and probably industrialized country) thing so unless you truly moved into the middle of nowhere or into 3rd world poverty, it'll be there.

Personally, I choose not to play that game and stay out of the rat race. It's achievable no matter where you live. I had the same in London and loved it too. The main problem is lifestyle choice. Most people want the best of both worlds and it's simply not possible for them.

I count my lucky chickens every day and am always appreciative and content with what I have as often as possible. For me that's one of the keys to being happy. I couldn't live like many on here, always looking for the elusive nirvana.

Time for another beer
I concur

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.