Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good (Young/Trendy) Hairdresser in North Van/Downtown

Good (Young/Trendy) Hairdresser in North Van/Downtown

Old Dec 9th 2007, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

missmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nice
Default Good (Young/Trendy) Hairdresser in North Van/Downtown

Hiya, just wondering if any of you ladies out there can recommend a good fashionable not extortionately priced hairdresser either in North Van or Downtown?

I went to one a few weeks ago just up from the quay either on 1st or 2nd for my fringe cutting and the salon manager was telling me how they'd been to the Toni & Guy show in Vegas so I thought they must be quite 'with it' so I booked for it all cutting today as I haven't had it done since just before we arrived here 3months ago!!. I was really nervous as you get used to your hairdressers way of cutting it don't you? and they know what you like etc but OMG I was right to be nervous. I mean I'm no expert but she had the most retarded way of blowdrying my hair. She even forgot to condition it for gods sake! AND this is the Manager!! I have a shortish young trendy bob so it needs a bit of TLC but not much but she didn't dry it evenly so some bits looked like a mushroom and then other bits she didn't even touch with the brush so I asked her to run a pair of straightners over it to try and make it look more even but OMG (again!!!) she showed me the back of my head and where she'd put the layers she'd straightened but she'd made them poker straight so I just had lines across the back of my head - has she not heard of blending?!?!:curse: I would have normally said something but seeing as she'd made a mess of it already I didn't want her to touch it any more.
I'm just hoping it's better when i've rewashed it and dryed it tomorrow.

Sorry i know I've just gone off and ranted but I'm gutted. So if anyone has any recommendations I would be so SO grateful as there's no way i'm going back there and If it still looks rubbish tomorrow i'm going to have to find somewhere else to go to put it right (and I'm scared).

What's Toni & Guy like here?

Am I wrong in thinking I can get a decent cut for around $50-60.00??

Many MANY thanks in advance

MissMellyShoes
Old Dec 9th 2007, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good (Young/Trendy) Hairdresser in North Van/Downtown

Oh no ! Another hairdressing thread

Oh, I feel for you - that does sound quite scary and I'd probably be so upset I'd be speechless (and I'll get in before anyone else - yes that would be quite rare).

Fingers crossed that somebody can recommend somebody I won't hold my breath

I ended up paying $140 for a cut and a two-colour highlight/lowlight last week - don't know if that is good or bad - but thankfully, I really like it - and have now been back twice. So, they do exist, those fabled good hairdressers, honest. Just take some hunting down. Good luck
Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:19 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Canadian world of hairdressing
Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

missmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nice

Originally Posted by Danny B
Oh my god...now I just want to cry

I don't color my hair so thankfully tahat's one less thing to worry about and spend extra cash on if they cock up

Why are they so bad though??

On Lonsdale there's a gazillion salons. I know setting up our own business is supposed to be easy here but surely there has to be some skill involved?!! My UK hairdresser is supposed to be coming over at xmas so I might just buy a pair of scissors and wait for her, then wait another year until she comes for the next ski season

Thanks for the responses guys hopefully someone can recommend someone other than a butcher or a gardner!

MissMellyShoes
Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:36 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missmellyshoes
Hiya, just wondering if any of you ladies out there can recommend a good fashionable not extortionately priced hairdresser either in North Van or Downtown?

I went to one a few weeks ago just up from the quay either on 1st or 2nd for my fringe cutting and the salon manager was telling me how they'd been to the Toni & Guy show in Vegas so I thought they must be quite 'with it' so I booked for it all cutting today as I haven't had it done since just before we arrived here 3months ago!!. I was really nervous as you get used to your hairdressers way of cutting it don't you? and they know what you like etc but OMG I was right to be nervous. I mean I'm no expert but she had the most retarded way of blowdrying my hair. She even forgot to condition it for gods sake! AND this is the Manager!! I have a shortish young trendy bob so it needs a bit of TLC but not much but she didn't dry it evenly so some bits looked like a mushroom and then other bits she didn't even touch with the brush so I asked her to run a pair of straightners over it to try and make it look more even but OMG (again!!!) she showed me the back of my head and where she'd put the layers she'd straightened but she'd made them poker straight so I just had lines across the back of my head - has she not heard of blending?!?!:curse: I would have normally said something but seeing as she'd made a mess of it already I didn't want her to touch it any more.
I'm just hoping it's better when i've rewashed it and dryed it tomorrow.

Sorry i know I've just gone off and ranted but I'm gutted. So if anyone has any recommendations I would be so SO grateful as there's no way i'm going back there and If it still looks rubbish tomorrow i'm going to have to find somewhere else to go to put it right (and I'm scared).

What's Toni & Guy like here?

Many MANY thanks in advance

MissMellyShoes
Try $160 for an average hair cut in Vancouver. No, it won't be anywhere near as good as you are used to. Yes I have rambled on ad nauseum on this subject. Toni & Guy in Vancouver are similar to the UK in name only. They cut so much off my very long hair and utterly screwed up the layers that I had to have it cropped and started again, after a visit home. The hairdresser in Preston that cut my hair just about died when she saw the mess. Crap hairdressing in BC is a familiar story for me......:curse:
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=dingbat;5648879]Try $160 for an average hair cut in Vancouver. No, it won't be anywhere near as good as you are used to. Yes I have rambled on ad nauseum on this subject. Toni & Guy in Vancouver are similar to the UK in name only. They cut so much off my very long hair and utterly screwed up the layers that I had to have it cropped and started again, after a visit home. The hairdresser in Preston that cut my hair just about died when she saw the mess. Crap hairdressing in BC is a familiar story for me......
Oh B*gger!!! Not filling me with much confidence here
Think I might be being a bit extreme thinking about booking a flight back to the UK just for my hair cutting
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:18 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

You could try the stocking cap look, the bandana look, the Tilley hat look, the cowgirl look, the Panama hat look, or the toothless look (achieved by forgoing dental treatment in favour of good haircuts).

Or you could go native.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Dec 9th 2007 at 6:30 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 9th 2007, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

kazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nice

I've had 3 bad cuts in UK this year.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 3:57 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazchug
I've had 3 bad cuts in UK this year.
I went yesterday and the lady that cut my hair had the shakest hands I have ever seen...not a good start! Cut was okay though - nothing special but okay!
Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:07 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it depends how fussy you are. I was very happy with a walk-in cut I got at a shopping mall salon (in Park Royal - not the Mastercuts/Cheapcuts/Kwik-E-Cuts type place near Staples but the salon that has branches on both the north and south side) done by a hairdresser from Slovenia who was sadly heading back to Europe. It was less than $50 but I don't do the blow-drying, products goop thing.

I have also had a couple of appalling cuts from walk-in experiences elsewhere in Metro Vancouver (one I termed the Romulan look, the other the thatched cottage look) that resulted in split ends, uneven patches and resorting to emergency service from OH with his clippers and a pair of nail scissors. I am not generally too fussy about my appearance. I have short thick hair. It grows quickly. A couple of snips every six months does not do it for me. With the exception noted at the top, the hairdressers I have come across do not cut hair so much as fuss around snipping a bit. And as for layers....

Last edited by acer rose; Dec 9th 2007 at 5:09 pm. Reason: price detail
Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:42 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Because according to your logic, no hairdressers ever emigrate to Canada and the Canadian hairdressing schools are never, ever run by a UK -trained hairdresser (yeah right!). Seriously, as I've said before, crap haircuts in the UK is quite usual. Good and bad everywhere.

I can't believe someone has started this moan again. Marmite, sandwiches, bed linens etc etc coming up next, according to the rotation.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:47 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god...now I just want to cry

I don't color my hair so thankfully tahat's one less thing to worry about and spend extra cash on if they cock up

Why are they so bad though??

On Lonsdale there's a gazillion salons. I know setting up our own business is supposed to be easy here but surely there has to be some skill involved?!! My UK hairdresser is supposed to be coming over at xmas so I might just buy a pair of scissors and wait for her, then wait another year until she comes for the next ski season

Thanks for the responses guys hopefully someone can recommend someone other than a butcher or a gardner!

MissMellyShoes
If you're that gullible maybe you just better wait. Think about it, use some logic. Mind you, there are people on here who insist that everyone that gets a hairdo in Canada looks "frightful" and will keep on insisting, even though you haves eyes to see with as well.

This topic has been done to death.,
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:39 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for a No.2 clip all over I can recommend someone who charges $15.00.

Now, I can't say that women's hairdressing is something I have researched in great depth, but ...

There are a lot of hairdressers/stylists who are self-employed. They work from their own studio in their basement, or visit. In my OH's circle of friends none go to downtown salons. You may have a bit of trial and error until you find someone that suits you, and when you do you stick with them. All I can suggest is that you keep on asking friends and acquaintances, or anyone you see with a cut you like, just as you are here.

A self-employed stylist will likely charge around $50-70 dollars. They probably won't take Visa and probably will appreciate being paid in cash. If they do a good job you should tip them an extra $10 so they'll be pleased to have you back.

Or so I'm told.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:48 pm
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

Im a UK hairdresser, qualified in 1989! now also qualified in aromatherapy, hopi ear candle & indian head massage. Looks like I may have a few clients in the Cochrane/Calgary area when I land sometime in 2008!!
Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:29 pm
Painting r own Rainbow

WelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to all

Originally Posted by us3andthedog
Im a UK hairdresser, qualified in 1989! now also qualified in aromatherapy, hopi ear candle & indian head massage. Looks like I may have a few clients in the Cochrane/Calgary area when I land sometime in 2008!!

Hiya

Well, all this hair talk is worrying me already , so even though we are not there yet can i put my name in yr book ready for when i need a cut and highlites .

Thanks

Mrs WDW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.