Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good Points, Bad Points

Good Points, Bad Points

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:26 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Points, Bad Points

You big soft tower-dwelling boat-watching Westerner.

You have the hands of a woman and the smell of a freshly cleaned toilet. And elderberries.

Originally Posted by el_richo
I took the dog out for a shit this morning and we ran back inside pretty shaprish after we bumped into a black bear.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:41 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
You big soft tower-dwelling boat-watching Westerner.

You have the hands of a woman and the smell of a freshly cleaned toilet. And elderberries.
Did I tell you about the time I broke my toe running away from a spider?
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul0
I'm getting completely confused here.
Myself and my wife are planning to move to Canada next year but by the looks of it, it seems to be a higher percentage of bad points rather then good points.
I do realise that Canada have taxes on most things which can work out expensive and car insurance is expensive etc etc, but I was under the impression that housing was cheaper but then they're people saying it's the same cost as the UK which means it's bloody expensive.
So my question is whats the point of going through all the hassle of trying to get a job offer then sorting your visa out if people are saying "yeah it's sort of ok here in Canada"
We were getting so excited about starting a nice life in Canada but now were just thinking why do so many English move there if it's only kind of ok?
I'm not having ago it's just frustrating when your so looking forward to starting a new life in such a beautiful country and you see something like this thread and it can completely put you off the idea.
Please someone prove me wrong.
I moved here almost 6 months ago and I absolutely *love* it here. I have Calgary half an hour away and the Rockies 40 minutes away. The scenery is beautiful and the air is clean. It is not crowded like England and I have been stuck in traffic only twice since I got here.

This link should show you what there is in Alberta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThFCg0tBDck

If link doesn't work - type in "remember to breathe Alberta" into google.

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:22 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
It's the daily mail. Where my mum and sister live the litter, rabble, and unemployment is not really different to vancouver.

So unfortunately your list is flawed if your Canada cons are based on reality, and your UK cons are based on media perception

So with that in mind, move to Vancouver. It's ace here. I took the dog out for a shit this morning and we ran back inside pretty shaprish after we bumped into a black bear. Last night it was deer. Just bring a nice pair of wellies.
vancouver is much cleaner than Manchester. Also less rabble. Not sure about employment but i suspect that's better too. Although it has more chippys and pubs
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:35 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

vancouver

pros

on day to day basis, life is easier and much more pleasant.
wages more than twice as high...better working conditions
nice climate, beautiful surroundings
decent, safe city, with lots to do, less drunken knobs, less dog crap, litter and vandalisim
progressive ever changing city...
lots of outdoor pursuits year round, easily accessible from the city
my mrs
great range of restaurants and street food
pleasant locals
much less street level anti social behaviour (police better equiped to deal with such issues)
not pre-judged, told what you cant do/be
can retire in 8 years!
no football everywhere you turn....hate the game...

Cons

has become a firmly upper middle class place to make a go of it
rising cost of living (although tempered by higher wages)
family not here
housing too spendy and not as well built
traffic getting worse
winter rains
pubs are mostly crap
no chinese take aways (i miss that curry sauce on me chips)
harder to get away for short trips
access to europe
transit not as good

Last edited by Boy d; Aug 23rd 2012 at 2:41 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:45 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
vancouver is much cleaner than Manchester. Also less rabble. Not sure about employment but i suspect that's better too. Although it has more chippys and pubs
My mum and sister don't live in Manchester.

Surely Didsbury has some cleaner areas and less rabble than areas of East Vancouver or DTES or areas of Surrey or areas of Maple Ridge or...

Either way, the vast majority of areas in the UK aren't full of litter, rabble, or unemployment in the same way as Canada isn't.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 4:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Bottom line. Canada in general is analogous to Michael McIntyre. Pleasant enough on the surface, not funny, boring as hell and eventually bloody irritating.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 5:32 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Bottom line. Canada in general is analogous to Michael McIntyre. Pleasant enough on the surface, not funny, boring as hell and eventually bloody irritating.
And still you don't leave.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 6:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
You're either part of the solution or part of the problem.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:22 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

A very much overused cliche and most inappropriate.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, If Oink can fix canada, then more power to him!

Does seem rather overoptimistic off him, but who am I to burst his bubble!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:48 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Pros

Very friendly locals
Easy access to the ocean
Fantastic summer weather (feels like a summer should do)
Fantastic winter weather (Feels like a winter should do)
Fantastic Fall (Autumn) Picture postcard stuff
Very cheap land prices and hence very cheap property prices
Easy access to UK if you want to visit (Less than a 6 hour flight)
Courteous Drivers everywhere (unless visitors arrive from Ontario !)
Free school buses from the end of your drive to the kids school
Fantastic clear night skies
Cheap gas (petrol)
Easy access to New England and a couple of decent US cities (NYC and Boston)
Staying in the house is seen as weird...outside life is the norm

Cons

Insurance is expensive across the board
Hiring/Recruiting techniques Slow, Old Fashioned and mostly garbage.
Price of Heating Oil (if you have an oil furnace)
Cell Phone plans are expensive
A lot of foods are more expensive, few cheaper.
Flight prices to virtually anywhere are expensive
Online purchasing is not at an advanced stage yet
TV, Internet and Phone packages are more expensive
+virtually nothing of any quality on TV (which helps my last Pro)
Humidity levels in depth of summer can be high

Last edited by jimmydean; Aug 23rd 2012 at 9:02 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Hey, If Oink can fix canada, then more power to him!

Does seem rather overoptimistic off him, but who am I to burst his bubble!
I'd settle for him fixing the Liquor Control Branch.

But Canada might be easier.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:57 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree.

Oink, enough with the tired cliché's. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Id be sick as a parrot if I had to give up my tired old cliches.
YMMV. YNWA... er.... AFLA?

Last edited by iaink; Aug 23rd 2012 at 9:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.