Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is this a good offer for Nova Scotia?

Is this a good offer for Nova Scotia?

Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all
Default Is this a good offer for Nova Scotia?

Hello all,

does anyone know if $25 p/h is a good wage for a CNC Machinist in Nova Scotia.

Also, if I had a 30,000 dollar deposit, what sort of house could I afford on this wage??

what are the power bills etc per month roughly???

cheers, Grant and Debs
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:19 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this a good offer for Nova Scotia?

I dont know that I can possibly answer, but I thought I would offer some reply.

No idea about what a CNC machinist would expect to earn here (not sure what one is) but that is an average wage I would say. Try to remember that you would lose approximately 1/3 in tax each year, and you would expect to get paid fortnightly as in NZ. I think minimum wages are around $8 and for an example a nurse would expect to get paid between $25 and $30 per hour. So more if you can get it would be nice, but not bad going otherwise. Someone else might be able to offer more insight there.

Check out an affordability calculator to see what a down payment of 30,000 would buy you. It all depends on length of term of the mortgage and annual income etc. I would say you are looking at around $250,000-275,000. Those are figures we have crunched previously.

As for power bills - rather depends upon what you are running and how you are heating your house. Most agree that electric heat is more expensive than oil, and there is little natural gas heat as yet here, though that is changing. There are some houses that also have a propane or woodburning fire for nother form of heat, and not a bad idea if there are power outages etc. On average people have told me to expect to heat and power a house for approx $150-250 per month, averaged out over the year. There is of course property tax too, much like in NZ. But you can get a phone, broadband and cable bundle for $100 per month.

Grocery bills each week tend to be around $200-300 for a family of 4-6, but be warned, wine is FAR more expensive than in NZ. Though I did find some NZ wine in the Australian section, it was $13 ($16 NZ) for what I would pay $5 for in NZ. I am thinking of checking out the US/Canadian wine to see if it is cheaper.

Does that help? Dont forget to ask an employer for relocation assistance, some will offer you something - they would likely do so for someone relocating within Canada. Just a thought.

Hope that helps, its late and its all I can think of!

Last edited by Poppy2; Mar 6th 2008 at 4:22 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Poppy2
I dont know that I can possibly answer, but I thought I would offer some reply.

No idea about what a CNC machinist would expect to earn here (not sure what one is) but that is an average wage I would say. Try to remember that you would lose approximately 1/3 in tax each year, and you would expect to get paid fortnightly as in NZ. I think minimum wages are around $8 and for an example a nurse would expect to get paid between $25 and $30 per hour. So more if you can get it would be nice, but not bad going otherwise. Someone else might be able to offer more insight there.

Check out an affordability calculator to see what a down payment of 30,000 would buy you. It all depends on length of term of the mortgage and annual income etc. I would say you are looking at around $250,000-275,000. Those are figures we have crunched previously.

As for power bills - rather depends upon what you are running and how you are heating your house. Most agree that electric heat is more expensive than oil, and there is little natural gas heat as yet here, though that is changing. There are some houses that also have a propane or woodburning fire for nother form of heat, and not a bad idea if there are power outages etc. On average people have told me to expect to heat and power a house for approx $150-250 per month, averaged out over the year. There is of course property tax too, much like in NZ. But you can get a phone, broadband and cable bundle for $100 per month.

Grocery bills each week tend to be around $200-300 for a family of 4-6, but be warned, wine is FAR more expensive than in NZ. Though I did find some NZ wine in the Australian section, it was $13 ($16 NZ) for what I would pay $5 for in NZ. I am thinking of checking out the US/Canadian wine to see if it is cheaper.

Does that help? Dont forget to ask an employer for relocation assistance, some will offer you something - they would likely do so for someone relocating within Canada. Just a thought.

Hope that helps, its late and its all I can think of!
thanks for the info. will be sure to ask about relocation assistanc e for sure!!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

There is a great variation in house prices around Nova Scotia and also within the same areas. The most expensive being ocean front properties all over the province. One thing to watch for is the deed transfer tax. It various quite alot between locations.http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/property/...2.46.1064.1100 We live on a border between two counties with one charging 0.5% whilst the other charges nothing. Fortunately even though our property is in the same location it happened to be the right side of the invisible line, saving us quite alot of money. This can then cover all the other cost involved in the purchase. New properties have the full amount of HST of 13% usually included in the listing price on MLS.
A wood furnace is the cheapest form of heating, but a combination of both a wood and oil furnace works very well. Oil heat does not give off the same amount of warmth but they are very convenient. Electric heat is the most expensive.
I agree with poppy2 on the weekly food shop. Our local wine http://www.jostwine.com/ is excellent and the best buy. There are many farmers markets around for very reasonable organic foods.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 8:25 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grantanddebs
Hello all,

Also, if I had a 30,000 dollar deposit, what sort of house could I afford on this wage??

cheers, Grant and Debs

NS... a job?

TAKE IT!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

cheers, Grant and Debs

Congratulations on the job offer
So much depends on where in Nova Scotia you would be living.
In some areas you could live almost mortgage free on $30, 000.
In Halifax it would probably only amount to a 10% deposit.
Poppy2 has given good advice about figures, but don't forget to also add in cost of water/electricty and insurance, especially for cars, as this can be very expensive.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 1:10 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect $25 an hour is a reasonable rate for a CNC machinist. If I get a chance I'll ask the owner of the CNC machining business I use in Dartmouth what he pays. The question really is 'What do you make as a CNC machinist in the UK?' and does $25 an hour enable the same quality of life in Canada.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
NS... a job?

TAKE IT!
Cheeky west coaster
Old Mar 7th 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

davesharronn is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
i and my wife are moving to ns later this year (dave and sharronn), i have a job with imp aerospace and have a relocation package ,the wages for a skilled fitter are $23 basic and time and a half overtime for monday through to sat and double on sunday with medical and other things thrown in
hope this helps
dave
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

cheers, Grant and Debs
Hi,

A rule of thumb with lenders is no more than 32% of gross monthly salary on housing, and a maximum of 40% GDR (gross debt ratio) total of gross monthly salary going to ALL debt payments - including mortgage.

So - assuming a gross salary of $50,000; that would translate into about $1300 per month for housing expense. This usually has to include Mortgage (principle and interest), property tax and heating cost (and/or 50% of Condo fees if buying a Condo). Gross debt load wasn't taken into account, and may also affect this number if you have a lot.

Roughly, that translates into a maximum mortgage amount of $230,000 if I assume a 25 year mortgage at 5% interest. BUT - I did NOT included Property taxes or Heating, as I haven't a clue what that would be out there - 'cos I'm out here; where the property tax would possibly pay a mortgage out there).
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Calgal
Hi,

A rule of thumb with lenders is no more than 32% of gross monthly salary on housing, and a maximum of 40% GDR (gross debt ratio) total of gross monthly salary going to ALL debt payments - including mortgage.

So - assuming a gross salary of $50,000; that would translate into about $1300 per month for housing expense. This usually has to include Mortgage (principle and interest), property tax and heating cost (and/or 50% of Condo fees if buying a Condo). Gross debt load wasn't taken into account, and may also affect this number if you have a lot.

Roughly, that translates into a maximum mortgage amount of $230,000 if I assume a 25 year mortgage at 5% interest. BUT - I did NOT included Property taxes or Heating, as I haven't a clue what that would be out there - 'cos I'm out here; where the property tax would possibly pay a mortgage out there).
thanks for the info. gives me a rough idea of what to expect.

cheers ;-)
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:52 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

It's a good offer for a machinist!

Wages for Colchester County, NS
http://www.labourmarketinformation.c...l=&new_search=

Online tax calculator
http://www.taxtips.ca/calculators/taxcalculator.htm

Cost of living ballpark figures
http://www.ir.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx...5-2733ec016b77

I've been offered a job for 54K and I'm jumping at it because it gets me to Canada without any problems or delays. And if I'm feeling the pinch in 12 months: who cares? I'll be PR then and I can do whatever I want! Having lived abroad before I can tell you that you'll be so goggle-eyed at all the new, shiny things that in the first 12 months that you won't even care what your salary is.

Last edited by wbexpat; Mar 7th 2008 at 10:00 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:10 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Compared to you guys I'm getting buttons for wages but I'm going for it and yes I will be own my own so I suppose it helps. I will still be counting the pennies but I am looking forward to it and the opportunities it will give me.

Lost a lot in the last few months so nothing else left to loose so Canada here I come....

Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:47 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Compared to you guys I'm getting buttons for wages but I'm going for it and yes I will be own my own so I suppose it helps. I will still be counting the pennies but I am looking forward to it and the opportunities it will give me.

Lost a lot in the last few months so nothing else left to loose so Canada here I come....

Bringing over your huge portion of positive attitude will go a very long way Emma

NS here you come
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:04 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

cheers, Grant and Debs

As others have said, housing varies greatly depending on where you are moving to. Have you checked out MLS? It also has a mortgage calculator.

Re utility bills. For us, they are more expensive than the UK but I see you are heading to NS from NZ so I can't really compare.

For what it's worth, I think that $25 is a pretty decent wage for NS. Will you also have paid overtime on top? Will your partner be also be working, even p/t?

Just had a look at Job Bank website and searched on CNC - only a few came up. All were salary negotiable except for one job was in Truro which was only paying $13-14 per hour http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/JobResult_e...ent&Student=No

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.