Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good Laws or Bad ?

Good Laws or Bad ?

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Laws or Bad ?

I visit regularly and just don't have the same experience as you.
Nor do most tourists. But they don't have to live and work in areas full of chavs.

Similarly, I had no problems in Israel when I visited a few years ago, then a few days after I left a friend of a friend was killed by a bomb on a bus. Which of those 'experiences' should we listen to?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think the use of the grinning graphic in post 17 is racist. The text is borderline; it's narrow minded and suggests someone who believes the content of the Daily Mail but it's not hate speech in the sense of the law in Canada.

Again, do you have a link for the story cited in post 1?

I don't have time to search for the story, but I am vaguely familiar with it and it has been reported. There is a bit of an upswell in public indignation about the lack of victim support in the uk at present, though the catalyst seems to be the appalling strike rates on getting rapists jailed (and even getting rape reported sadly).
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:28 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

This is, of course, bollocks. I expect the tragic tale of the brave old lady bitch slapping the Eastern European Muslim immigrant scounger chav scum same-sex married kiddy fiddlers is bollocks too, but without a link it's hard to be certain.
I agree with you for once your comments are bollocks, do you need to have you hand held with links all the time, either do some research to prove someones comments wrong or don't bother answering.

Have a nice day, but I can give you a link for that.

But here's one for you

http://www.acslpa.org/n_armed_citizen_reports.htm - fear or self-defence prompted the shooting?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Nor do most tourists. But they don't have to live and work in areas full of chavs.

Similarly, I had no problems in Israel when I visited a few years ago, then a few days after I left a friend of a friend was killed by a bomb on a bus. Which of those 'experiences' should we listen to?
But it depends on where you live in the Uk too. The inner cities are bound to be worse for all sorts of crime and I think that Nottingham is currently topping the league tables for drug related violent crime. But of course crime rates are up all over the UK and violent crime is up most of all.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grah
I agree with you for once your comments are bollocks, do you need to have you hand held with links all the time, either do some research to prove someones comments wrong or don't bother answering.

But here's one for you

http://www.acslpa.org/n_armed_citizen_reports.htm - fear or self-defence prompted the shooting?
Actually I think that the person asserting something as fact should provide the proof that it is so.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:32 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Think I saw this a few weeks back. If its the same story, it was some "old dear" in Wales who on further reading was hardly the type you'd call a lovable old dear.

The only difference in my view between issues like this in the UK and Canada are in Canada they are infrequently reported.

You get scroats here too !!!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
I don't have time to search for the story, but I am vaguely familiar with it and it has been reported. There is a bit of an upswell in public indignation about the lack of victim support in the uk at present, though the catalyst seems to be the appalling strike rates on getting rapists jailed (and even getting rape reported sadly).
An "upswell", crikey!

The catalyst is unlikely to have been the rate of anything but the pursuit of sales by the gutter press; hence the request for a link.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:34 pm
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of

I am quite happy to hit an arrogant person no matter the age. I remember I got off the train at Brighton station and walked past the cab stand and there was a business man of around 40 who obviously stressed shouted 'F**K OFF' at a 10 year old disabled kid.

I know you are going to wander why so i will tell you. This kid asked the man if he could use the 'disabled taxi' because his brother was in a wheel chair.

This is why i proceeded up to the bloke and smaked him, he then apoligised to the family and allowed them on the cab.

remember it is not only kids that set the example of 'ill manners' but choices we make everyday.

I am aware this man will probably think that i was in the wrong and to some extent i was. But he wouldn't listen any other way.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Or perhaps they're moving to the UK for a better life

You are aware that there are Eastern Europeans and Muslims in Canada as well?
Whats wrong being a young educated Pole and moving to the UK for a better life. Would you leave a country with 20% unemployment and move to a country that needs skilled people such as plumber etc or just do the low paid jobs that many Brits do not want to do. Just go to Canada and talk to the immigrants in Tim Horton's selling coffee and asked what "degree" do you have.

I worked in Canada with many Polish and Ukrainian people, some were new to Canada, some were 2nd or 3rd generation. Seemed pretty hardworking and pleasant people to me. I lived next door to a Polish family in London many years ago found them very hospitable and helpful people.

It is said there are 400 000 Polish Canadians and 2.7 million Ukrainian Canadians. If you do not like immigrants do not move to Canada.

You will become "not another bloody Brit" and a few times I heard "all these immigrants are taking our jobs". I just thought it was funny moving to a country made up of immigrants. Immigrants not likely new immigrants which made me laugh.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

An "upswell", crikey!

The catalyst is unlikely to have been the rate of anything but the pursuit of sales by the gutter press; hence the request for a link.
Sorry, crap word I know. But this time the complaints about the treatment of rape victims hasn't been media-led and not all of us here read the red-tops.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone making a sensationalist claim ought to be able to substantiate it. Here we have a story which the original poster is using to advance a political position, in order that we can properly deride the poster for taking that political position, we need to know the source of the story. It's not reasonable to ask everyone who doesn't believe the story to prove that it was never published in a reputable journal.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

But here's one for you

I don't see how the links relates, by the way, it describes some nutcases shooting out of their windows but doesn't discuss the legality of that action. I don't believe that there is any state in which it is lawful to shoot people in the street because you believe they have insulted you.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:45 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

I think the use of the grinning graphic in post 17 is racist. The text is borderline; it's narrow minded and suggests someone who believes the content of the Daily Mail but it's not hate speech in the sense of the law in Canada.

I knew you would jump in here, how did I guess

Link to, No as it was a newspaper not an internet story

And as to grins being racist, that's just your interpretation

As to the original post I am looking for views on whether you think it is right, regardless of proving the story is true which I believe could welll be in our society as it is now, because law punishes the victims not the perpetrators.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by sinope
Sorry, crap word I know. But this time the complaints about the treatment of rape victims hasn't been media-led and not all of us here read the red-tops.
I was giggling at the use of the word, sorry, I meant no offense. I have been following the rape victim debate in the Guardian both in print and on their talkboard. That's a complicated issue whereas the tale we have here seems far too clear cut to be true, it put me in mind of the Tony Martin case.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:52 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Note that as a prospective immigrant who works with many young people I do not wish to be associated with many of the comments here. For what it is worth, the original story could well be this one

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/5392322.stm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.