Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good Laws or Bad ?

Good Laws or Bad ?

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Laws or Bad ?

Originally Posted by Canada2006
There are loads of people coming too - it's sooo good.

How many places in the world are worse than the UK? I'd frankly feel safer in the UK than South Africa, for instance.
South Africa is slipping into anarchy from what I hear but no-one likes to say it because we're all so blinking PC nowadays. But then anywhere in a state of flux is going to be dodgy and that accounts for most of the countries in the world. Definitely better off in the yucky uk although I do agree that things are getting worse here. I also agree that it isn't the immigrants who are generally very hardworking, it's the 'home-grown' kids.

It is sooo hard not to slip into cliche-speak too. I felt an urge to write 'feral yobs' and 'binge-drinking culture' just then.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:27 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

There are loads of people coming too - it's sooo good.

How many places in the world are worse than the UK? I'd frankly feel safer in the UK than South Africa, for instance.
Yes but you're just talking about all the Muslims and Eastern Europeans coming over who are motivated by either the money they hear they can earn or the handouts they can get for nothing
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
Yes but you're just talking about all the Muslims and Eastern Europeans coming over who are motivated by either the money they hear they can earn or the handouts they can get for nothing

Or perhaps they're moving to the UK for a better life

You are aware that there are Eastern Europeans and Muslims in Canada as well?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:44 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Cobblers!

1. You don't go to the UK for handouts. Frankly, France is far more generous. I just can't see anyone uprouting their whole family to go and live on unemployment benefit (to which they'd have no entitlement). Have you ever tried to live on benefits????? I'd rather stay farming in Eastern Europe.

2. East Europeans emmigrate for the same reasons we do. The experience, to learn a foreign language, culture, see the world and yes, to earn more money. What's wrong with that?

If you're ready to put down the Daily mail, Sun, Star or whatever you're reading, do some research on the benefits of immigration/emmigration and you'll learn just why Canada what's you to go there and the UK government is welcoming all the Polish plummers they can get.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:49 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

I'd also like to add that when I lived in the UK:

- I went binge-drinking at the weekend.
- A group of teenagers of which I was a part walked around the town at night. A wee bit drunk.
- I used to drink in pubs underage.
- I once witnessed a fight in a pub. Got out of there quicksmart.
- Was once in a car where one of the occupants hollered "it's a sixty zone" at some slow driver.

I'm glad in the UK you can go out and have a good time. In general it's well managed and there are very few real problems even amongst the chavs and chavettes. I think that, apart from the odd excess and rotten potato, everyone pretty much respects each other.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

The stupid thing is, fifty years ago if kids had been behaving this way the woman would have given them a slap and told their parents, who'd have made sure they didn't do it again. If the kids had complained to the police, they'd have given the kids another slap and told them not to be so stupid in future... and that would have been that.

Today, though, it's the victims who are threatened by the police while the criminals are free to do what they want. Whereas in the past there was a long progression from being told off to ending up in jail, today kids get away with anything until the day they finally step over the line and find themselves locked up. Trying to stop a kid from doing anything is considered 'child abuse', but at the same time the government complain when parents don't stop their kids from doing it.

I was watching one of these 'fly on the wall' cop shows while visiting my parents a while back and the chavs they were investigating seemed to think they could do whatever they wanted, then started crying like little girls when the cops slapped hand-cuffs on them and stuck them in a jail cell... and most were such stupid spoilt brats that the cops seemed to be having a hard time keeping a straight face while dealing with them. It's insane.

As for South Africa, yes, from what I've been reading lately it's an utter disaster zone that makes Britain look like paradise. But the fact that it would decline into Zimbabwe II was eminently predictable long ago... very few ex-colonies have prospered in Africa, and South Africa's emigration rate is huge.

I think that, apart from the odd excess and rotten potato, everyone pretty much respects each other.
Which parallel universe do you live in?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:17 pm
C'est correck

Originally Posted by MarkG

Same as yours. 99% of people do respect each other.

That's a big positive.

When I go to the mall at the weekend, 100s of people pass me by and cause no trouble. People open the doors so I can get my stroller into shops. It's fine, no problels. Most people respect each other.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
and in the US she could have shot the lot dead and got away with it on the grounds they frightened her.
This is, of course, bollocks. I expect the tragic tale of the brave old lady bitch slapping the Eastern European Muslim immigrant scounger chav scum same-sex married kiddy fiddlers is bollocks too, but without a link it's hard to be certain.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:31 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Hooray to the mother who slapped the rowdy teens, no one (including kids) has the right to bully or terrify anyone else

That was an effective deterent to me as a kid, do something bad and have to face the consequences... nowdays "the consequences" is not getting to play the X-Box or having to sit on a "naughty step" for a few minutes. I can see the naughty step helps dictate the authority in the household but the "punishment" being doled out nowdays I'd have probably just laughed at when I was a teen.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Same as yours. 99% of people do respect each other.
That may be true of 'people', but it sure ain't true of the chavs around here... they have no respect for anyone, including themselves.

When I go to the mall at the weekend, 100s of people pass me by and cause no trouble.
That's because the chavs are too busy shop-lifting.

In any case, your location says 'Brussels', so what do you know about the accelerating decline of the UK?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:51 pm
C'est correck

In any case, your location says 'Brussels', so what do you know about the accelerating decline of the UK?
I visit regularly and just don't have the same experience as you. I think it's all Daily Mail inspired b*****ks.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:53 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Or perhaps they're moving to the UK for a better life

You are aware that there are Eastern Europeans and Muslims in Canada as well?
If you are trying to say I'm racist you couldn't be further down the wrong alley and I do not have a phobia of any race AND I haven't mentioned bombers at all
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:54 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Cobblers!
Now now don't chuck your dolly around too much
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:56 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

The stupid thing is, fifty years ago if kids had been behaving this way the woman would have given them a slap and told their parents, who'd have made sure they didn't do it again. If the kids had complained to the police, they'd have given the kids another slap and told them not to be so stupid in future... and that would have been that.

Today, though, it's the victims who are threatened by the police while the criminals are free to do what they want. Whereas in the past there was a long progression from being told off to ending up in jail, today kids get away with anything until the day they finally step over the line and find themselves locked up. Trying to stop a kid from doing anything is considered 'child abuse', but at the same time the government complain when parents don't stop their kids from doing it.

I was watching one of these 'fly on the wall' cop shows while visiting my parents a while back and the chavs they were investigating seemed to think they could do whatever they wanted, then started crying like little girls when the cops slapped hand-cuffs on them and stuck them in a jail cell... and most were such stupid spoilt brats that the cops seemed to be having a hard time keeping a straight face while dealing with them. It's insane.

As for South Africa, yes, from what I've been reading lately it's an utter disaster zone that makes Britain look like paradise. But the fact that it would decline into Zimbabwe II was eminently predictable long ago... very few ex-colonies have prospered in Africa, and South Africa's emigration rate is huge.
Well said Mark, at least someone can interpret the topic correctly
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are trying to say I'm racist you couldn't be further down the wrong alley and I do not have a phobia of any race AND I haven't mentioned bombers at all
I think the use of the grinning graphic in post 17 is racist. The text is borderline; it's narrow minded and suggests someone who believes the content of the Daily Mail but it's not hate speech in the sense of the law in Canada.

Again, do you have a link for the story cited in post 1?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.