Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good Laws or Bad ?

Good Laws or Bad ?

Old Oct 4th 2006, 12:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good Laws or Bad ?

Originally Posted by dbd33
There is, in fact, an argument that stopping smoking overnight causes such a disruption to the body that it's best not done while pregnant. I certainly found that switching from a pack of Marlboro a day to no smoking caused physical symptoms likely to be deleterious to a baby. If the pregnancy is unplanned cutting down on smoking once it's discovered might be the best course.
I don't think that applies only to pregnancy. I knew a bloke in Oakville, a heavy smoker, who underwent bypass surgery (quardruple) for a major cholesterol problem. His doctor expressly told him not to stop smoking until after the operation. The shock to his system could easily have killed him.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 1:00 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

There are very many public service announcements on Ontario television and very many rules and regulations intended to make people do the right thing. I think Ontario would be very much a nanny state if the public were law abiding. Fortunately, people are not, there's a huge gulf between the legislators and the public at large and many of the laws churned out by the many levels of government are cheerily ignored. I expect the public service announcements are the same; certainly I see people drinking and driving, bicycling without helmets, prostituting themselves, using drugs and smoking in prohibited locations every day despite relentless wittering against these habits on the television.
You can't stop everyone doing everything that may be dangerous too them, but you can reduce the number through public service advertising. Drinking and Driving is the best example.

Glad to hear that there are Canadians who don't follow all the rules! At least they can make an informed choice - although when it impinges on other people that's a slightly different matter. I don't care if someone falls off their bike and cracks their head open because they had no helment. Their choice. On the otherhand, someone smoking in a confined space near me I don't appreciate.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 1:02 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I don't think that applies only to pregnancy. I knew a bloke in Oakville, a heavy smoker, who underwent bypass surgery (quardruple) for a major cholesterol problem. His doctor expressly told him not to stop smoking until after the operation. The shock to his system could easily have killed him.
If you're a smoker who wants to get pregnant, stop now. If you're pregnant by surprise that stop asap, even if that means withdrawing the drug slowly.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006
I wouldn't confuse the two issues here.

Public education can be done effectively via TV, magazines, educating health professionals. There are lots of good channels. Interestingly, in the US a lot of this is done by NGOs and not the government. There, breastfeeding is advocated for 18months to 2 years rather than the 5 minutes over here in Belgium.

As far as remedial courses in reading and writing for university students, this is more a failure in the secondary and primary schooling systems. I think the New Labour government has actually acted to improve this already. In my opinion, in the UK a lot of work has to be done and it will take a long time to change.
It was more of a generalisation about how school leavers can't read and write so why should they know anything at all about pregnancy.

I agree that govt tv advertising can be very effective, for instance the drink drive campaigns. But I think that league-table driven schooling is damaging the education system and I think that Labour have an awful lot to answer for in the degradation of the exam system, but that is another discussion entirely.

On a personal note, I stopped smoking and drinking when I got pregnant and stayed off the booze for the year of breast feeding my daughter. For me it was a total no-brainer and I found giving up smoking relatively easy (I had been on 20 plus per day, so no small habit). Two years on and I can now have a cup of coffee without craving a cigarette, hurrah!!

It is enormously selfish as well as stupid to smoke and drink whilst pregnant.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I can well believe it. The mental stress alone of going cold turkey would be a big factor.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 1:25 pm
C'est correck

Originally Posted by sinope
It was more of a generalisation about how school leavers can't read and write so why should they know anything at all about pregnancy.

I agree that govt tv advertising can be very effective, for instance the drink drive campaigns. But I think that league-table driven schooling is damaging the education system and I think that Labour have an awful lot to answer for in the degradation of the exam system, but that is another discussion entirely.

On a personal note, I stopped smoking and drinking when I got pregnant and stayed off the booze for the year of breast feeding my daughter. For me it was a total no-brainer and I found giving up smoking relatively easy (I had been on 20 plus per day, so no small habit). Two years on and I can now have a cup of coffee without craving a cigarette, hurrah!!

It is enormously selfish as well as stupid to smoke and drink whilst pregnant.
Well done! And well done for breastfeeding for a year - it's made a hell of a different to your child.

As far as education is concerned, the British public is not ready to face up to what is required to get a cutting edge education system. So newLabour has tried to tweek here and there, but you won't get the necessary results that way.

I do think that somethings are better - more emphasis on literacy and the removal of the real books system makes a lot of sense.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 1:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
On a personal note, I stopped smoking and drinking when I got pregnant and stayed off the booze for the year of breast feeding my daughter.
My wife usually refrained from drinking while she was breast feeding (well, more or less, she is French after all) but made a point of drinking before long flights; something for which the other passengers would have been grateful, had they experienced the alternative.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 1:27 pm
C'est correck

My wife usually refrained from drinking while she was breast feeding (well, more or less, she is French after all) but made a point of drinking before long flights; something for which the other passengers would have been grateful, had they experienced the alternative.
Our friends who are French more or less stopped too. They have different guidance in French hospitals....

I'm glad your wife found a way to enjoy her flights!
Old Oct 4th 2006, 8:26 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Hi

Out of all the people I know, friends and family etc, in the last 10 years only me and one other person has moved away from the UK. One of my friends to Australia, and me to Canada.

The only reason that I uprooted to Canada was for family reasons
So you are saying there aren't that many then, is that right ?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I drove in this morning and heard the local news.

Two kids set fire to a third:

http://tinyurl.com/khaxg

a mother killed her children:

http://tinyurl.com/kojo8

the local ice hockey team lost, though why they put that on the radio I don't know; it's hardly news.

This country's going to the dogs. Maybe I'll try another one.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:33 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

the local ice hockey team lost, though why they put that on the radio I don't know; it's hardly news.

Have young children myself hate hearing this stuff.

The mother killing her children story is ***** awful. Its similar to the one back in the UK press a few weeks back with the guy in Greece and his son.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:46 pm
C'est correck

Originally Posted by Buchan6
Have young children myself hate hearing this stuff.

The mother killing her children story is ***** awful. Its similar to the one back in the UK press a few weeks back with the guy in Greece and his son.
I saw the guy on TV in Greek custody. He looked so ate-up with grief. It's really tragic. Poor children.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:50 pm
C'est correck

We choose our "friends".

Sad.

May I suggest the United Kingdom? Rather than reporting these events as run of the mill news, at least there is a moral out-cry! That's the kind of country for me!

In addition, you'll have no more worries about your local hockey team.... that stress won't be there! Idyllic.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

NewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Canada2006

In addition, you'll have no more worries about your local hockey team.... that stress won't be there! Idyllic.
Are you kidding!! The Sheffield Steelers got off to a dreadful start this season and only now are starting their climb back up to their rightful place in the table.