Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good Evening from Manchester

Good Evening from Manchester

Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Caimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant future
Default Good Evening from Manchester

Dear All,

I thought I would take the plunge and introduce myself (formally) as I have been perusing the site for a couple of weeks. Having read and re-read many of the posts, I feel like I know some of you! I had no idea that a site containing so much valuable & informative advice could be so funny too!!!!

My family and I applied for PR residency in September last year but quickly realised we needed to up the ante if we were serious about a life in Canada.
We have previously lived in Australia for a very brief period when we obtained PR in 1999. However, we did not make it over there until I was seven months pregnant with our second child & very quickly returned. Although the move had been planned for almost six years, because of a real run of bad luck we did not have the emotional strength required to 'weather' such a big move under the circumstances. We feel reasonably experienced in the trials & tribulations of emigration & all the more cautious for it.

So here we are in 2008, some six years after 'our big move' and still unsettled.
We visited my cousin who lives near to Brantford last year who absolutely adores Canada & her life over there. We felt very comfortable too and could envisage settling & embracing a new life in Ontario but still wish to consider our options in other provinces first. This is where the BE website comes in and my (bordering on fanatical) reading of it!

For the record, my husband is a carpenter/joiner and I am due to qualify as a counsellor within the next twelve months. (From my limited research so far, my qualification will not be much use but I ain't giving up yet!) My OH has been offered a job in Vancouver (via Shadi Norman) but we are holding off as unsure as to where to consider to live...cost of living, salary, equity, etc.

Oh, and I almost forgot, we have two children, aged 11 and 6.

Look forward to contributing to the forums and feeling supported throughout this next phase in our lives.

Jo-Anne

Right. I am Canada'd out and off to the cinema to switch off. Have a great evening all...!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 8:57 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Evening from Manchester

Hello, Jo-Anne, and welcome to the BE forum. Hope you enjoyed your movie, and all the best with your next round of emigration. I guess you're now officially a "Ping Pong Pom." Don't worry, I'm a ping ponger myself, but can't call myself a Ping Pong Pom, since I'm not British.
x
Old Jul 5th 2008, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Caimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant future

Thanks Judy for the warm welcome. The movie was debatable and the ending very depressing....(The Mist)...should have stayed at home to do some more reseach on Nova Scotia....!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome from another Manc.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:28 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Helllo and wellllcome
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Hello and thank you both for the welcome. It really does make a difference when you join something like this and you can get a sense of the person sat at a keyboard rather than some officious faceless bod!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:47 am
Just Joined

samkhan will become famous soon enough

Hi, and welcome.

We've recently moved not too far from you...town called Nelson near Burnley.
Good luck with your plans

Sam
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:55 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samkhan
Hi, and welcome.

We've recently moved not too far from you...town called Nelson near Burnley.
Good luck with your plans

Sam
Say to my In-laws will you.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:37 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Hi and welcome to the forum
Not far from you in lancashire.
Good luck on your journey

Gill
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Hi Everyone

I have not really been on the site for a few days but thank you all for a warm welcome.