Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

good dentist in calgary?

good dentist in calgary?

Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of
Default good dentist in calgary?

now ive got all these benefits from work, im thinking i should actually use them and get a dentist!

can anyone recommend a good one? ive never had any dental work, but wouldnt mind a check up and a good polish!
thanks
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of
Default Re: good dentist in calgary?

I've yet to find a good dentist here. I get the feeling mine is only interested in paying for his next vacation.

I went to this guy downtown who told me I had an abcess, needed two wisdom teeth out that hadn't come through as well as various fillings etc at a ridiculous cost running into thousands of dollars. He tried to scare me telling me I could potentially die and suffer various health problems if I didn't have the work done. He also tried to get me to have them whitened, which I hated. Any dentist knows teeth aren't white! That's cosmetic, not dentistry.

Anyway, I smelt bullshit and stuck with a scale and polish, which was amazing. I had my mouth overhauled a couple of weeks before I left for canada by my dentist back in the UK who gave me a clean bill before leaving so I thought it was odd the dentist here was telling me I needed all this work. I wish I could find a dentist I can trust here so if anyone has any Calgary recommendations let me know too!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

susie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura about

hi
we moved to cochrane -not calgary but just outside the north west in cochrane and found a good dentist . its called 5th avenue dental clinic , good service and will bill insurance directly ,also very child friendly if you have kids . have not got the no with me at present pm me and ill get back to you if this is any help
susie q
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:15 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

I can thoroughly recommend Ellen Fletcher. She has been very good with us. She is in Heritage Plaza at the cross roads with Heritage and Macleod. When I asked about one old filling being replaced (my old dentist had mentioned this) she said no it had lots of life left.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:46 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
now ive got all these benefits from work, im thinking i should actually use them and get a dentist!

can anyone recommend a good one? ive never had any dental work, but wouldnt mind a check up and a good polish!
thanks

Most people I know including myself go to Dr Dibasio (name spelt totally wrong) but his surgery is just along from the RCMP office in Cochrane.

To put everyone minds at rest, there are no cheap dentists If you find one then he is doing something wrong.

My biggest irk is Blue Cross will say we cover this treatment for example $60 but the dentist can say we charge $80. So we pay for insurance to cover, but dentists can charge what they like and we have to pay the difference.

I had to have a root canal treatment done and it used up all my allowance for the year

Any Dr Dibasio is still a good dentist, and does not charge any more or less than all the other dentist's.

Add this to your list of things never seen:
1) A poor dentist
2) An Unemployed dentist
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

And get ready for the British teeth comments!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:58 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by triumphguy

To add to my earlier post.

In England dentists recommend a check up every 6 months. (which we did) In Canada dentists say every 9 months
the insurance company say every year!!

Some one is wrong.

My money is on the insurance company, especially after watching 'sicko'
Old Dec 30th 2008, 2:46 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Why, is there something wrong with them?
Old Dec 30th 2008, 2:55 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest irk is Blue Cross will say we cover this treatment for example $60 but the dentist can say we charge $80. So we pay for insurance to cover, but dentists can charge what they like and we have to pay the difference.

There is a usually a schedule of fees issued by the Provincial College of Dentists or whatever it's called. Insurance plans normally pay a percentage of these fees leaving a shortfall to be paid by the patient. There's the odd exception where the total bill will be covered. Rumour has it that dentists run two schedules of fees. A lower one for those without an insurance plan and the other for those who do.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 5:13 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
To add to my earlier post.

In England dentists recommend a check up every 6 months. (which we did) In Canada dentists say every 9 months
the insurance company say every year!!

Some one is wrong.

My money is on the insurance company, especially after watching 'sicko'
These days I think two visits to the hygenist in a year is more important, the dentist once every twelve months.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 3:30 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kittykerr

thanks
I love my dentist (well as much as you can love a dentist!) I see Dr Zybutz at Mayfair Place (Glenmore and Elbow) and definitely recommend him and his team. My first enconter with him was as an emergancy appoinment and he removed a wisdom tooth there and then. Found the price reasonable as I had no insurance at the time (about $250 for the emergancy extraction, appoinment and full set of X-rays) He agreed with my UK dentists that I only really needed to see him once a year, but to see the hygenist every 6 months. As I hadn't seen a dentist for at least 5 years before that visit I was happy
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Three that I think are good:

Dr. Krahn if you are in the north (far north) of the city - in Country Hills

Dr. Kowaluk on Elbow Dr at 75th St. (our current one)

Dr. Ewart on MacLeod Tr. Our kids have no fear of the dentist because of him.