Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good coffee or it's all off!

Good coffee or it's all off!

Old Jul 6th 2005, 3:37 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Good coffee or it's all off!

Now, an important point that's been skittering around my chemically dependant mind (caffeine) for a while.

Tell me the coffee's good in Canada? No, forget that, tell me it's GREAT

Didn't get a chance last year to try Tim Hortons only the stuff that Starbarf sold and it's consistent with what we get here - Consistently crap!

Please reassure my expresso alter-ego.

Right, now back to spooning those beans down my throat - water's for wimps.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

KHutchison is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good coffee or it's all off!

Originally Posted by Madmac
Now, an important point that's been skittering around my chemically dependant mind (caffeine) for a while.

Didn't get a chance last year to try Tim Hortons only the stuff that Starbarf sold and it's consistent with what we get here - Consistently crap!

Right, now back to spooning those beans down my throat - water's for wimps.
The few times I've had it when I've been in Canada I've found Tim Hortons to be the dogs b@ll@cks. Don't know what they put in it but I found myself craving for it. When I move to Canada later this year it'll be Tim Hortons and a doughnut for breakfast! Best way to start the day.

Kev.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 4:05 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KHutchison
The few times I've had it when I've been in Canada I've found Tim Hortons to be the dogs b@ll@cks. Don't know what they put in it but I found myself craving for it. When I move to Canada later this year it'll be Tim Hortons and a doughnut for breakfast! Best way to start the day.

Kev.
I find Tim's coffee a bit weak, actually, but each to their own.

Coffee addicts will be pleased to know that it's cheap here. A 1kg tin of Maxwell House or Folgers costs about $6. You can even buy Tim's coffee in the supermarkets, although it's more expensive (over $10/kg, I think).

A doughnut for breakfast every day? Do you know how much dental care costs here?

You're on a slippery slope. Doughnuts first. Next it'll be Lay-Z-Boy chairs and sofas with built-in TV remotes, telephones, beer-holders and ultimately, catheters.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 4:13 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well its depends on what you consider great coffee....

If it's the stuff you get in France, Italy and parts of Germany.... then Tough!!

if you like your coffee ala Starbucks...then you'll be fine... its all large portions, cream and sugar with a dough nut.... oh and a marginaly higher caffine content..

here its quantity over quality.....
Old Jul 6th 2005, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I find Tim's coffee a bit weak, actually, but each to their own.

Coffee addicts will be pleased to know that it's cheap here. A 1kg tin of Maxwell House or Folgers costs about $6. You can even buy Tim's coffee in the supermarkets, although it's more expensive (over $10/kg, I think).

A doughnut for breakfast every day? Do you know how much dental care costs here?

You're on a slippery slope. Doughnuts first. Next it'll be Lay-Z-Boy chairs and sofas with built-in TV remotes, telephones, beer-holders and ultimately, catheters.
WOW!! - the Canadian lifestyle seems better every day - does Tim Hortons do deliveries so I don't have to get out of that wonderful Lay-Z-Boy chair you described. And if I can dip my doughnut in my coffee I won't need teeth!!
Cheers mate.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Location: SHEFFIELD uk can't wait to move in our house in Louisbourg N.S as soon as possible
louisbourg will become famous soon enough

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo got me going

13 DAYS TO A TIM HORTON'S FRENCH VANILLA YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!

i can't stand the filter coffee ............sorry , instant nescafe only , all my family know not to bother putting the coffee pot on while we are in town

just "get the kettle on love "
Old Jul 6th 2005, 4:44 pm

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Well its depends on what you consider great coffee....

If it's the stuff you get in France, Italy and parts of Germany.... then Tough!!

if you like your coffee ala Starbucks...then you'll be fine... its all large portions, cream and sugar with a dough nut.... oh and a marginaly higher caffine content..

here its quantity over quality.....
Great coffee=black, strong enough to stand a spoon in and makes your heart pound way up past the safe level!

..but hey, I like cappuccino too
Old Jul 6th 2005, 4:46 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisbourg
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo got me going

13 DAYS TO A TIM HORTON'S FRENCH VANILLA YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!

i can't stand the filter coffee ............sorry , instant nescafe only , all my family know not to bother putting the coffee pot on while we are in town

just "get the kettle on love "

You're going to be in trouble here. Instant Coffee is crap.

I thought I wouldn't live without a cup of instant in the morning, but now I'd rather have a cup of freshly brewed coffee anytime. When I was back in the UK a fortnight ago, I realised how truely awful instant coffee is.

If you're worried about how long it takes to brew a cup, get a coffee maker that you can set to brew for when you get up in the morning.

I get all my coffee at Costco. It's really really good and really cheap. Where else can you get 2kg of Jamaican Blue Mountain for $22...
Old Jul 6th 2005, 4:51 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KHutchison
WOW!! - the Canadian lifestyle seems better every day - does Tim Hortons do deliveries so I don't have to get out of that wonderful Lay-Z-Boy chair you described. And if I can dip my doughnut in my coffee I won't need teeth!!
Cheers mate.
Dear God! I think the first items you'll need to buy when you land are a John Deere baseball cap and a wifebeater. You could well prove to be history's first long-distance redneck.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Dear God! I think the first items you'll need to buy when you land are a John Deere baseball cap and a wifebeater. You could well prove to be history's first long-distance redneck.
Aw, and there's me thinking that the Laz-Y-Boy chair could double as a ride-around lawnmower. Seriously though I'm a hard-working Scot who's looking forward to a new life in Canada minus the baseball cap and not so much as an argument with my lovely wife!
Old Jul 6th 2005, 5:38 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisbourg

i can't stand the filter coffee ............sorry
Dont be sorry, just dont tell Immigration, its ground to refuse entry. This whole country is fuelled by cheap (but good) filter coffee and nicotine. I was rather surprised when Tim Horton wasn't voted greatest ever Canadian.

If its any consolation you arent the only one. My boss is also a freak who prefers Nescafe, so that will make two of you
Old Jul 6th 2005, 6:07 pm

Got to be better than a Burberry (Pronounced BURRRR BRAY) baseball cap and a pint of wifebeater (Stella Artois to the uninitiated) eh Khutchison?
Old Jul 6th 2005, 6:14 pm

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have trouble getting good coffe out, just go to Superstore and get ground Lavazza, Illy etc - I couldn't survive without these crucial supplies!

Old Jul 6th 2005, 6:32 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by NewCalgarian
If you have trouble getting good coffe out, just go to Superstore and get ground Lavazza, Illy etc - I couldn't survive without these crucial supplies!

Better still why not go to a speciality coffee shop that sells only beans that they roast in the store? (Yokas in Vancouver comes to mind) You get great beans, you grind it the way you like. Coffee is too important to buy some tin.

PMM
Old Jul 6th 2005, 6:33 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I have just returned from another visit to Canada. The first visit we made we stayed in a hotel and had the filter coffee they provide in the rooms, it was vile, and is in just about every hotel room in Vancouver and surrounds.( same in USA)
By the end of the trip we we were dying for a nice cuppa, and could only find instant Maxwell house. This was so bad we ended up leaving it in the hotel.
Tim Hortons is consistentaly weak to me. Huge cups amount to nothing, and their filter coffee to take home is no better. As for cappuchino, unless you want French Vanilla or some other flavour then dont ask for one unless in Starbucks.
I have had several trips in the last year, and the only, and I mean only thing i miss, is nice coffee, if you like it strong and black ( coffee!!) like me that is.
I took a passion for cappuchinos some time ago, and thought this may solve the problem. Wrong! Starbucks seem to use week coffee but i think they use skimmed milk and tastes watered down.
I like black coffee that blows your head off in the morning.

Then a miracle happened! well two!! I have found a little internet cafe near where we will be living, and they do the most fantastic cappuchino ever, I drool at the thought of it, and it is always first call in the town. They do loads of wonderful drinks and amazing smoothies, and I can buy coffee beans or ground in loads of strengths etc.
Then on my way home i found a small farm shop that has opened their own coffee bar, they also have lovely coffee, and sell the beans too.

So answer is find the small shops that sell the beans and try before you buy, then grind your own!
In the supermarket near us they also have racks of coffee beans in a dispenser, so you can select just a few of to try before you commit to a huge amount.

As for instant, I could only find Nescafe and Maxwell House and dont like either. So it is filter all the time, and I take Carte Noir out each trip!! incase the filer machine goes belly up.

As for Tea!!!!!!!! i dont drink the stuff, but my daughter had a similar problem, but found PG Tips in a supermarket even though it was expensive.

QUOTE=Madmac]Now, an important point that's been skittering around my chemically dependant mind (caffeine) for a while.

Right, now back to spooning those beans down my throat - water's for wimps.[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.