Reload this Page >

Good areas to live close to Bombardier

Good areas to live close to Bombardier

Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Cygnus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good areas to live close to Bombardier

Hi there,

It looks like my OH will be getting at job at Bombardier at their facility that's close to Montreal Trudeau airport (sorry, I don't know the name of the area).

I was just wondering if anyone could possibly recommend any good areas for us to live which would be easy for him to commute to work?

Even better, can anyone recommend any particular apartment complexes/townhomes where the rent is under $1000 a month and allows cats? I've been searching on the internet and it is like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Many thanks in advance.

Josie

Last edited by Cygnus; Jan 13th 2009 at 8:48 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good areas to live close to Bombardier

Aircraft or rail?

Bombardier Aircraft are based at Montreal-Mirabel Airport in South-Western Quebec, and Bombardier for the trains are at Sault-Saint-Marie in Northern Ontario I think.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

laidback4 is on a distinguished road

There's also a Bombardier aircraft plant in Toronto
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry - I forgot to say it was Montreal. My apologies - I will try and edit my original thread title.

It will be the aerospace.

Thanks.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Mirabel Airport is about 50km by road from Trudeau Airport, about 40-60 mins drive time depending on traffic and which route you take.

Blaineville, Sainte-Therese and Boisebriande are areas reasonably close to Mirabel, but I don't know what they're like to live in. Check Realtor.ca for prices to rent or buy.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cygnus
Sorry - I forgot to say it was Montreal. My apologies - I will try and edit my original thread title.

It will be the aerospace.

Thanks.
If it is Mirabel for the workplace, you could live in Hawkesbury, Ontario and commute....it is probably a 30-40 minute drive on pretty quiet roads. Hawkesbury is probably cheaper than the Montreal suburbs listed for housing. However, it isn't the most happening place in the world and high quality education in english may not be that easy. Hawkesbury is 85% francophone as I found out making a presentation to the Town Council.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

Good point. The places I listed are going to be Francophone too.

I suppose depending on how far hubby is prepared to commute and how fluent in French they want to get, Cornwall Ontario is another option.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:33 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Mirabel Airport is about 50km by road from Trudeau Airport, about 40-60 mins drive time depending on traffic and which route you take.

Blaineville, Sainte-Therese and Boisebriande are areas reasonably close to Mirabel, but I don't know what they're like to live in. Check Realtor.ca for prices to rent or buy.
In addition to the manufacturing base at Mirabel, Bombardier Aerospace has a (maintenance?) facility at Trudeau, on the northeast corner of the airport. Perhaps this is what the OP meant?

To the OP, Trudeau airport is in the suburb of Dorval (until it was renamed a couple of years ago it was known simply as Aéroport Montréal-Dorval). A realtor.ca search around there might turn up something. My brother-in-law had an apartment there a while back, just south of Hwy 20, when he worked locally. It was nothing special, but he and his roommate were able to afford to live quite well on not much, so I imagine rent wasn't too high.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Aircraft or rail?

Bombardier Aircraft are based at Montreal-Mirabel Airport in South-Western Quebec, and Bombardier for the trains are at Sault-Saint-Marie in Northern Ontario I think.
Ah - I think they have a facility that's not far from Montreal Trudeau airport - it's certainly not Mirabel. I wish I knew a bit more, OH is out there at the moment.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
In addition to the manufacturing base at Mirabel, Bombardier Aerospace has a (maintenance?) facility at Trudeau, on the northeast corner of the airport. Perhaps this is what the OP meant?

To the OP, Trudeau airport is in the suburb of Dorval (until it was renamed a couple of years ago it was known simply as Aéroport Montréal-Dorval). A realtor.ca search around there might turn up something. My brother-in-law had an apartment there a while back, just south of Hwy 20, when he worked locally. It was nothing special, but he and his roommate were able to afford to live quite well on not much, so I imagine rent wasn't too high.
Yes, that's the one at the maintenance place! Thank you!

So I guess places just to the west of Dorval should be ok? I don't think my OH wants to commute more than 15 mins each way.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Yes, that's the one at the maintenance place! Thank you!

So I guess places just to the west of Dorval should be ok? I don't think my OH wants to commute more than 15 mins each way.
If the french thing is not your bag, I'd recommend South Lancaster, Ontario, or Hudson, QC or St. Lazare, QC.

Not sure about your budget, but South Lancaster is the cheapest, but furthest.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not really bothered about the French thing - I would rather try and immerse myself into the French culture if at all possible!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not really bothered about the French thing - I would rather try and immerse myself into the French culture if at all possible!
Good for you...many BE posters are not as enlightened.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

We are in Pointe Claire which is west of the airport. Great facilities (olympic size indoor pool, 7 outdoor pools, large public library, skating rink etc etc ) and close to the lake. Not too much aircraft noise (only notice it in the summer). Some areas of Dorval you have the planes right overhead. And only 10mins drive to the airport. Any other questions, happy to help.