Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Golf in Calgary

Golf in Calgary

Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Stuart8472 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Golf in Calgary

I've looked at a few courses and I can honestly say that if I were to join a GC it would cost me more than what id likely spend on a car!!

Am I missing something?

Anywhere you can recommend?

Thanks
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:06 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Golf in Calgary

Originally Posted by Stuart8472
I've looked at a few courses and I can honestly say that if I were to join a GC it would cost me more than what id likely spend on a car!!

Am I missing something?

Anywhere you can recommend?

Thanks
Is it important to you that you join a golf club?

A lot of the private clubs allow the public to play also there are six City of Calgary owned golf courses no membership required.

http://www.discovercalgary.com/Tours...s/GolfCourses/
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:06 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Just pay to play on public courses, or Private Clubs open to the public.

A lot of private clubs require you to buy a share, I know the Club nearest to me requires a $20,000 investment for the share, plus annual dues, plus a guaranteed spend in the Bar/Restaurant.

I play at one of many City courses for $28.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Its not a must but in the UK its generally beneficial to have membership somewhere if you're playing once a week.

If you're not a member can you still compete in medals?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know about calgary, but Unless you are joining a course for the social aspect, I figured from a green fees perspective you would have to play a round every week during the season to break even. OK if you are retired I guess.

My local course (36 holes, not fancy, at the end of my road) charge only about $800 a year in fees, but then its only $30 a day to play there.

I did hear that if you know someone who knows someone you can pay $600 and join as a member through a company corporate deal, but I dont have the time to play much anyway.

For the sake of comparison, the very (VERY!) nice new course in town thats about $70 a round in the summer charges $1800 a year for 7 day membership.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:26 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you need to join any clubs unless you want the social factor.

It's easy enough to book a round at most of the private clubs, and all of the municipal courses in Calgary (which I do on-line).

A round once a week would be $1,000 a year tops. Why pay inflated membership fees?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I don't think you need to join any clubs unless you want the social factor.

It's easy enough to book a round at most of the private clubs, and all of the municipal courses in Calgary (which I do on-line).

A round once a week would be $1,000 a year tops. Why pay inflated membership fees?

The OP want s to compete in medals, whatever they are?

Not being a golfer I have no clue.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:35 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Only the kindest of observers would describe me as a golfer too. I like to tell myself that taking 9 strokes on a par 4 is better value-for-money than a miserly birdie.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhh. I missed that. The weekly competition, handicap validation and all that.

There are plenty of competitive weekly house leagues open to non members that allow for all that.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

I appreciate the info guys though I still cant get my head round why something that costs a max of £1000 in Scotland can cost as much as £20,000 (40,000 CAD) in Calgary. Its not like Scotland has an inferior product!!

Iain, are these leagues organised through the golf club or peoples workplaces etc?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Stuart8472

Iain, are these leagues organised through the golf club or peoples workplaces etc?
Both. Most courses seem to have league nights for pay as you go players. Not sure how the handicaping would work as I havent been able to justify the time to join a local league with two small kids at home. I did play in a work based league in the past, and played on a few corporate away day teams too. Nothing too serious.

Regarding the cost of membership, it sort of depends on the status of the course, a top course in the UK will set you back tens of thousands too. Clublink courses with privileges elsewhere will be expensive, for example the Nicklaus course out in Banff will be expensive, so if you want to do the membership thing then shop around, but pay as you play is a practical option, especially while you are still figuring out what each local course has to offer.

One advantage of membership might be free range priveledges if you practice a lot.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 17th 2008 at 3:48 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:42 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

A retired friend of mine plays regularly and joined a local club. He's kept a spreadsheet of his costs to see if the membership cost justified itself.

As long as he plays a minimum of twice a week through the season (including use of a cart, and a bucket of range balls each time) it's worthwhile.

Prices per round locally cost from $12 for the local par 3 pitch and putt, $30-$75 (depending on time of day/week) for a nicely maintained course and up to $130 for somewhere like Tobiano
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H
up to $130 for somewhere like Tobiano
Wow that make Kananaskis look real cheap at $90 for non-residents and only $70 for Alberta residents.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:58 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that make Kananaskis look real cheap at $90 for non-residents and only $70 for Alberta residents.
Yep, it's hard to spend under $150 there by the time you've hit some range balls and had a couple of beers. Beautiful course though.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Only the kindest of observers would describe me as a golfer too. I like to tell myself that taking 9 strokes on a par 4 is better value-for-money than a miserly birdie.
They'd have to be bloody kind. Are you holding the wrong end of the club?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.