Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Golf advice needed

Golf advice needed

Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:20 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Golf advice needed

Souvette has decided that we are taking up a new couple's hobby. There is a driving range near us. We are going out on Saturday to buy a club each. But what club? I played golf as a kid, but not very well. Her experience is limited to hacking her way round nine holes at a conference. The aim of this hobby is to belt a few balls, successfully. Should we be looking at long irons instead of woods? I have a vague memory that they are easier to handle.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Golf advice needed

I trust you have stocked up on garish polyester.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I trust you have stocked up on garish polyester.
The sports shop is next to Costco. It can be arranged.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:37 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Souvette has decided that we are taking up a new couple's hobby. There is a driving range near us. We are going out on Saturday to buy a club each. But what club? I played golf as a kid, but not very well. Her experience is limited to hacking her way round nine holes at a conference. The aim of this hobby is to belt a few balls, successfully. Should we be looking at long irons instead of woods? I have a vague memory that they are easier to handle.

Not being a golfer you can take what I say with a pinch of salt.

If you you're going to a driving range wouldn't you need a driver (wood, but mostly made of metal these days)?

Cheers
Steve
Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:41 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Some sort of a mid iron is the best compromise of distance and control, something like a 6 or 7 iron. Places like play it again sports sell individual irons. The longer the club, the harder to control, long irons are also tough to hit right as they are long with small unforgiving club heads, thats why the "hybrid" clubs are so popular now in their place...more forgiving, like a wood, but with a shorter shaft, so easier to hit, and they dont hurt like **** if you "thin" it.

You could get a hybrid I suppose, but if you get a 7 iron, you can also practice the important "touch and feel" parts of the game, like chipping and short shots around the green, a well as full swings at the ball on the range.

Really though at some point if you are going to actually play golf rather than just hit balls (2 different things) you will need a half set at least, including maybe a 3 wood (much easier to get in the air than a driver for a beginner) and a hybrid long iron replacement, as well as a few other irons and putter. Don't rush into that though as there are a few considerations that going into picking clubs that you might miss out on knowing nothing about your own requirements at this stage for shaft stiffness, weight of the heads and so on.

Best advice I can give is to get lessons early on in this adventure, I cant stress enough that its a hard game to self teach, and bad habits formed early on can really hold you back. Our local parks and rec offer cheapish group lessons, and if you can pick up the basics, then progress can be much less frustrating.

Have Fun. Ive never felt the need for garish polyester myself, and seldom see it on the course myself, I've a feeling that's more of a non golfers caricature of what golfers do.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jul 26th 2007 at 3:53 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Some sort of a mid iron is the best compromise of distance and control, something like a 6 or 7 iron. Places like play it again sports sell individual irons. The longer the club, the harder to control, long irons are also tough to hit right as they are long with small unforgiving club heads, thats why the "hybrid" clubs are so popular now in their place...more forgiving, like a wood, but with a shorter shaft, so easier to hit, and the ydont hurt like **** if you "thin" it.

You could get a hybrid I suppose, but if you get a 7 iron, you can also practice the important "touch and feel" parts of the game, like chipping and short shots around the green, a well as full swings at the ball on the range.

Really though at some point if you are going to actually play golf rather than just hit balls (2 different things) you will need a half set at least, including maybe a 3 wood (much easier to get in the air than a drivre for a beginer) and a hybrid long iron replacement, as well as a few other irons and putter. Dont rush into that though as there are a few considerations that going into picking clubs that you might miss out on knowing nothing about your own requirements at this stage for shaft stiffness, weight of the heads and so on.

Best advice I can give is to get lessons early on in this adventure, I cant stress enough that its a hard game to self teach, and bad habits formed early on can really hold you back. Our local parks and rec offer cheapish group lessons, and if you can pick up the basics, then progress can be much less frustrating.

Have Fun. Ive never felt the need for garish polyester myself, and seldom see it on the course myself, ive a feeling thats more of a non golfers characature of what golfers do.
Thank you for that. It's unlikely that we will take up golf proper, not for a few years anyway (we'd never find the time). The main aim is to get a bucket of balls and blast most of them into the air. The mid iron idea sounds spot on.

Come to think of it, really long clubs might not be allowed at that place. It's quite close to a major highway and there is no netting.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:07 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Thank you for that. It's unlikely that we will take up golf proper, not for a few years anyway (we'd never find the time). The main aim is to get a bucket of balls and blast most of them into the air. The mid iron idea sounds spot on.

Come to think of it, really long clubs might not be allowed at that place. It's quite close to a major highway and there is no netting.
Ah yes, the time, tell me about it

Maybe a lofted hybrid would be more forgiving, unless there is a practice green area where you can chip too.

Something like this
http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do...&styleId=21412
comes in his and hers flavours
http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do...&styleId=21414

I would still get a few lessons anyway... it will be far more enjoyable if its not really frustrating.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Have Fun. Ive never felt the need for garish polyester myself, and seldom see it on the course myself, I've a feeling that's more of a non golfers caricature of what golfers do.
Actually it's founded upon repeated analysis of people failing to navigate airports with golf stuff. I always wonder what it is about golf that screws up the perceptions of people who play to the extent that think their clothing acceptable and that a cart with a golf bag placed sideways on it can go into an elevator. I suppose it to be related to the huge quantities of chemicals used to despoil the countryside and create the courses.

Will you be getting a Buick, Souvenir?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Will you be getting a Buick, Souvenir?
Is that some form of examination I didn't get this morning? If it is, I feel cheated. I thought I had collected the full set.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Some sort of a mid iron is the best compromise of distance and control, something like a 6 or 7 iron.
I agree that a 7 iron is the best club to start with. Also, get at least one lesson - the driving range will have a pro that will teach you both together. It is money very well spent.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I agree that a 7 iron is the best club to start with. Also, get at least one lesson - the driving range will have a pro that will teach you both together. It is money very well spent.
Ta. I will raise it with Souvette.

Daft question: can you play a 7 iron off a tee or just off the mat?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Ta. I will raise it with Souvette.

Daft question: can you play a 7 iron off a tee or just off the mat?
Either is fine.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Spoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the rough

Agree with those suggesting a 7 iron. I think the best course of action however is to book in for a couple of lessons. The Golf Pro will almost certainly have some clubs for you to try out without buying one.

If and when you decide the sport is for you, most clubs are pretty forgiving these days. Just make sure you don't get 'blades'. There a bugger to hit for the beginner and higher handicap golfer.

Also get a bright pink Jumper with nice big diamond design on the front.

Have Fun

PS. Serious players avoid 'Mixed Golf' like the plague, although they're not usually prepared to admit it to their wives/ partners
Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:22 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spoons1961
Serious players avoid 'Mixed Golf' like the plague, although they're not usually prepared to admit it to their wives/ partners
Probalbly because the guys get frustrated every time the ladies misjudge a shot. But that's what you get for lying about how long 6 inches is......

Why take up golf if you're only planning on practicing for a few years. Why not take up walking instead, it's much cheaper.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

paul-niki is an unknown quantity at this point

The only issue with lessons is that as a couple you will have the discomfort of some slimy, garishly dressed, wanna be james bond type stood behind your oh with his crotch pushed firmly against her buttocks in a manner that would constitute a good whack in any other circumstances.(My ex left me for a golf instructor, took my 7 wood recovery club..........god i miss that club)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.