Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going out seperately from OH

Going out seperately from OH

Old Jun 26th 2009, 7:43 am
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice
Default Going out seperately from OH

Hi

Work permits permitting, I will be going out seperately to my OH who will follow on a few months later. I'll be taking the kids with me. I am the main applicant and my OH will (hopefully) have a SOWP.

Can someone talk me through how this works please? I'm assuming that I will have to "land" with the children? I don't think I will have a goods to follow list as my OH should be here to the very end what do I do about that, will they expect a goods to follow list?

Also, when I arrive I'm assuming my first stop has to be getting a SIN card before I do anything else is that right?

I'm a little bit nervous about doing this by myself so any help would be appreciated with the practical side of things.

Many thanks

SB
Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:52 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going out seperately from OH

Originally Posted by Sleeping_Beauty45
Hi

Work permits permitting, I will be going out seperately to my OH who will follow on a few months later. I'll be taking the kids with me. I am the main applicant and my OH will (hopefully) have a SOWP.

Can someone talk me through how this works please? I'm assuming that I will have to "land" with the children? I don't think I will have a goods to follow list as my OH should be here to the very end what do I do about that, will they expect a goods to follow list?

Also, when I arrive I'm assuming my first stop has to be getting a SIN card before I do anything else is that right?

I'm a little bit nervous about doing this by myself so any help would be appreciated with the practical side of things.

Many thanks

SB
Yes. Been there done that. Wife and child followed 6 months later with Good to Follow list ( although I had already done it beforehand ).

There is no problem in doing it that way.

Let me know a specific question and I will try to answer it.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi SB - Ref the Goods to Follow - I think this is easier to compile than you think - albeit time consuming. Just go around your house and list, roughly, what you have and what you think you are taking.

ie, 2 boxes of books at $XXX, 4 boxes kids toys at $XXX, 6 boxes kitchenware at $XXX, etc, etc.

If there is stuff in your house that are not sure whether you are bringing or not, put it on the list anyway. It doesn't matter if there is stuff on there that you do not eventually bring - the issue might be with adding stuff afterwards.

But as Tangram says, if it's OK to do at a later point, then leave your hubby to do the list.

Without getting too personal, I notice that with most families, the main applicant arrives first and the other half follows later with the kids. What ages are your kids - how are you going to start a full-time career and sort them out? Do you already have friends or family to help out a bit, or already have any childcare/after-school care in place?

Good luck with everything - I have followed your wobbles Nearly there love!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I think if you are entering Canada on a TWP then when your OH arrives he will have to get a visitors visa on entry and then apply for a change of status to OWP from within Canada. You won't actually be "Landing" as you aren't on a PR visa.

We arrived on a student work permit for me, and and open work permit for MOH. We didn't need a goods to follow list at the airport as we weren't landing but as we also had a PR application in process, we did have the lists and showed them to customs at the airport. When our stuff arrived we took the goods to follow list to the local customs offices to clear it.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 3:57 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

Thank you so much for the info, I will make sure I do some sort of goods to follow list for me but if I manage to leave before the house goes (unlikely now due to the time scales) I may not know everything that we take.

The reason everything is so uncertain is that we are opening a business in Canada, my husband and I work together and so he will stay here running the operations side of things until I have an office set up over there so that we have the absolute minimum of downtime.

This is the reason why it is still so uncertain whether the work permits will be permitted - we don't have jobs as such to go to!

Initially we will be staying with family, hence me taking the kids out, so I'll have lots of help hopefully to start off with.

I'm hoping that my OH will follow within a month or so.

Thanks again for your help and if anyone can send "let them know asap vibes" our way that would also be appreciated. It is now less than a month til we move out of here and I'm definately feeling the strain now.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 7:16 pm
In limbo!

I have another question, when we arrive in Canada do we go through normal passport control or do we go through immigration?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 7:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I have another question, when we arrive in Canada do we go through normal passport control or do we go through immigration?

Many thanks.
You go to passport control just like everyone else. Tell the officer why you are here and they will direct you to the appropriate place.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 7:55 pm
In limbo!

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You go to passport control just like everyone else. Tell the officer why you are here and they will direct you to the appropriate place.
Thank you! I'm getting hung up on tiny details now rather than worrying about the bigger picture (ie, whether we are going to have the work permits in time before we leave the house in three weeks time).
Old Jul 1st 2009, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you! I'm getting hung up on tiny details now rather than worrying about the bigger picture (ie, whether we are going to have the work permits in time before we leave the house in three weeks time).
Hi

I am just curious about which job you would be doing in Canada. I have arrived in Calgary in January this year and the economic recession is here now and the effect is that there has been a recruitment freeze.

Plus the other day i found out that there will be no extension to work permit as from 1st of April 2009, the employer will have to apply for another LMO..it seems they are tightening the screws everywhere they can.

Ibby
Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:01 am
In limbo!

Originally Posted by ibbye13
Hi

I am just curious about which job you would be doing in Canada.
Ibby
.... we are opening a business in Canada ...