Going Kamping - newly landed in Nova Scotia

Going Kamping - newly landed in Nova Scotia

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 9:40 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going Kamping - newly landed in Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by el_richo
This is a slightly interesting read on growing old in Canada
http://britishexpats.com/articles/ca...ng-old-canada/
Yes an interesting read and the key sentence starts the last paragraph.

"Overall, in Canada, the onus is still very much on you to take care of your own financial needs in retirement."

If a person has a problem with that then they should really think hard about whether or not they want to come to Canada.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jun 3rd 2011 at 9:42 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Yes an interesting read and the key sentence starts the last paragraph.

"Overall, in Canada, the onus is still very much on you to take care of your own financial needs in retirement."

If a person has a problem with that then they should really think hard about whether or not they want to come to Canada.
I agree, but financial issues are only a small part of it (for the lucky ones like you and me). Piff Poff is right, it's the climate, the lack of culture, the very poor accessibility to anywhere at all, especially in winter, without encountering major problems. But mostly climate.

If I didn't have other options (which I've made sure I do), I'd off myself.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If I didn't have other options (which I've made sure I do), I'd off myself.
I can't say winter is my favourite time of year and I really don't have other options but I seriously doubt I would go that far.

Now if we were to move away from our boys and their families it's a whole other story but that aint gonna happen.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Going Kamping
I guess it depends where you are in Canada - it's a massive place after all. Nova Scotia is obviously one of the smaller provinces so not such a trek to visit places and the winters in this area aren't so harsh.
Quite, as Piff Poff said, it's a massive place which means it's very inconvenient to go anywhere, except to the corner store (if there is one).

NS is indeed one of the smaller provinces, but which places there (again especially in winter) are worth older people going to the trouble of visiting? I submit, none at al.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:36 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I can't say winter is my favourite time of year and I really don't have other options but I seriously doubt I would go that far.

Now if we were to move away from our boys and their families it's a whole other story but that aint gonna happen.
Obviously I respect that, but couldn't you convince your boys and their families to emigrate just like you did? Point out that they'll be old some day.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 5th 2011 at 10:39 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:48 pm

Obviously I respect that, but couldn't you convince your boys and their families to emigrate just like you did? Point out that they'll be old some day.
I could try that but they're young (not yet reached 40) and there's in-law influence.

I have enough trouble trying to convince them to get their cholesterol checked.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:26 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Quite, as Piff Poff said, it's a massive place which means it's very inconvenient to go anywhere, except to the corner store (if there is one).

NS is indeed one of the smaller provinces, but which places there (again especially in winter) are worth older people going to the trouble of visiting? I submit, none at al.
Just the point I was trying to make

The Mall gets very boring, especially when you work there too
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Going Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to all

Ah well, once again the grumps have taken over my thread and once again I will say that I'm sorry you are all so miserable, but at the end of the day the only person who can change that is YOU!

I am a happy, positive person who is in the process of making my dreams come true and I refuse to let those of you with failed dreams to bring me down. If you get knocked down then you climb back up and make things better - that's my motto.

If you are all so truly unhappy here then stop moaning about it and belittling those of us that are happy and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:07 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Not so much failed dreams as reality after the first flush of enthusiasm about emigration passes. IMHO it's how you make that reality - that for example, life is generally the same either side of the pond, that you still have to work, pay taxes, etc etc - work that is important.

Your shiny enthusiasm is wonderful. I hope you still have it after a couple of years and winters.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Going Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to all

I'm sure we will. We had it back in the UK too, so no reason it would change.

Life is definitely what you make it as you say. We were happy in the UK, just wanted more space, cleaner air and more freedom for our son - now we have that so as far as I can see things will stay bright and shiny.

How is beautiful Newfoundland?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:17 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Going Kamping
How is beautiful Newfoundland?
Dank, this morning.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

It's a bit overcast her too but the sky is definitely brightening, I'll try to send some your way
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Nah - Just leave it where it is - i have to get on a flight to Nova Scotia this afternoon

Been crap all weekend in town by all acounts but it was 25 DegC and sun splitting the rocks all weekend up at backside pond
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Yep, was nice here yesterday too

Have a great trip
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Cant see it being "great" - its Nova f@#cking Scotia I'm going to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.