Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going Kamping - newly landed in Nova Scotia

Going Kamping - newly landed in Nova Scotia

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:45 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Kamping - newly landed in Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Flogger
I can't moan. my last vehicle in the UK was a 1978 VW camper. Whole forests would wither and die as i drove past. Also top speed up a slight incline was around 50mph. I once got a fist waved at me by the driver of an ice cream van, as he flew past.

never learn't my lesson from my previous van which blew up on me on the M27.
dont remind me
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Going Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to all

To put everyone's rather rude comments to rest, we do work at a camp site. When holidaying ourselves we would choose a more rural and remote site with less facilities, but as my partner got the position of Operations and Facilities Manager this is where we have landed. It is a popular place and may follow a corporate image, but many who travel with kids like the facilities and we are close to Halifax and all the city has to offer. We actually wanted to move to Newfoundland, but this position came up, we got through on the NSNP and we couldn't be happier. The people we've met are so friendly and kind and have gone out of their way to make us feel welcome, unlike the people on here!

We had never been in an RV until we came to Canada on our first fact finding mission 2 years ago. We chose to tour around so that we could find out as much as possible about places without being restricted to hotels.

I put my blog address on the site as I thought it might give people an idea of what life is like here and certainly from the lovely private messages I've received, then this is indeed the case.

I had thought this was a nice forum for like minded people, not somewhere I would get ripped to shreds by cynical people who know nothing about me after my very first post. So much for this being a friendly site!!!

At the end of the day, we had a dream to move to Canada to make a better life for our family and within 2 years have made that dream come true - just thought I might be able to share something that might be of value to others. We only applied for residency in October 2010 and we moved in in April of this year - I guess we must know what we're doing after all!

Last edited by Going Kamping; Jun 3rd 2011 at 2:17 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:13 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Going Kamping
To put everyone's rather rude comments to rest, we do work at a KOA camp site. This is not somewhere we would choose to stay ourselves, but as my partner got the position of Operations and Facilities Manager this is where we have ended up. We actually wanted to move to Newfoundland, but this position came up and we have got through on the NSNP.

We had never been in an RV until we came to Canada on our first fact finding mission 2 years ago. We chose to tour around so that we could find out as much as possible about places without being restricted to hotels.

I put my blog address on the site as I thought it might give people an idea of what life is like here and certainly from the lovely private messages I've received, then this is indeed the case.

I had thought this was a nice forum for like minded people, not somewhere I would get ripped to shreds by cynical people who know nothing about me after my very first post. So much for this being a friendly site!!!

At the end of the day, we had a dream to move to Canada to make a better life for our family and within 2 years have made that dream come true - just thought I might be able to share something that might be of value to others. We only applied for residency in October 2010 and we moved in in April of this year - I guess we must know what we're doing after all!
Nobody's being rude its just that many people who have been in Canada a while have had theirs dreams tempered by the reality of living here. Most through experience now understand a lot about Canadian culture, plus its political and social philosophy, and the long cold winters aside, this has served to remove the blinkers that naivety bestows. It can thus appear to newcomers that we're a cynical bunch. You're as welcome here as anyone else and if you persevere with a sense of humour and perspective I'm sure you'll find lots of people to be friends with and learn a great deal. I'll be interested in reading your blog in about three to four years time. Good luck with your adventure.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Going Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to all

So why rip into what we are doing and suggest I'm simply posting for marketing reasons - just seems cruel and bully like to me. Nothing to do with how life is here or how tough it can be.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

That's not what I'm saying at all. We did want to move to Newfoundland, Nova Scotia was our second choice, but we love it here or we wouldn't have uprooted ourselves and moved across the world.

I feel I'm having to be defensive because of how people have posted and I'm maybe not saying what I mean. We are happy to be here, my partner has a job he loves and my little boy is happy in school.

So please everyone, enough already - you're making me want to leave this forum after only one posting as everyone is being so dismissive and mean!

We love our new lives and have been planning for the last 2 years for this move.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:30 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I thought

I feel I'm having to be defensive because of how people have posted and I'm maybe not saying what I mean. We are happy to be here, my partner has a job he loves and my little boy is happy in school.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:31 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

So why rip into what we are doing and suggest I'm simply posting for marketing reasons - just seems cruel and bully like to me. Nothing to do with how life is here or how tough it can be.
It was the lack of provided context coupled with the constant references for and about KOA. Welcome to the forum though and as I said I've only ever been to campsites in the UK with lots to do and I'm not a very rustic type. If it didn't have mini golf and a swimming pool for us kids and a pub and bingo for dad and mum we never stayed there. I can appreciate the desire to get away from it all though.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:10 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It was the lack of provided context coupled with the constant references for and about KOA. Welcome to the forum though and as I said I've only ever been to campsites in the UK with lots to do and I'm not a very rustic type. If it didn't have mini golf and a swimming pool for us kids and a pub and bingo for dad and mum we never stayed there. I can appreciate the desire to get away from it all though.
Anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnlJXvOVaPE
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by lmartin999
This is proper camping.

http://www.cayton-bay-caravans.co.uk/entertainment.htm
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:26 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

No Cannon and Ball though. However I see they are playing Skegness in August, so there is potential. This place would work well for a good night out:

http://www.northshore-skegness.co.uk/entertainment.php
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

um.. I didn't make a rude comment but I guess my question got lost in all the other stuff! Where in NS did you move to? I for one would like to hear how you've found settling in etc., because we're hoping to be able to move out there too.
You have to take a lot of comments on this forum - as with any busy internet forum - with a pinch of salt. This is a friendly forum, but for a few people who seem to like to try to rile people at any opportunity!

So, where did you move to? Where did you move from in the UK? How quickly did you settle in? People often say things are more expensive than they expected... do you find that?
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Izzi, thought it safer to message you rather than risk another tirade of alledged wit and banter!
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Many memories of Summer hols there my friend

Again this is probably a thread I shouldnt mention the new travel trailer I just bought
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Go ahead nldfc, just be prepared for the outbursts - lol
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Go ahead nldfc, just be prepared for the outbursts - lol
No thanks mate - The new travel trailer , the park site i bought for the year and the set of golf clubs I misappropriated from canadian tire would probably get me castrated on this site

ps - The wife made me buy the trailer and the campsite with no disco on it and the Canadian Tire manager was being that much of a twat I couldnt help myself with the golfclubs - none of it was anything to do with me at all

Last edited by nldfc; Jun 3rd 2011 at 11:33 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.