Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going Kamping - newly landed in Nova Scotia

Going Kamping - newly landed in Nova Scotia

Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:11 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Kamping - newly landed in Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
ha ha no, I have friends that believe
Seriously? Have they told you what the secret actually is?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:15 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Going Kamping
Believe me if I could delete this thread then I would. I only posted it to introduce myself and offer to share my experiences in getting here with people who might find it useful. Aside from many lovely private messages welcoming me, (and advising me to avoid certain people who seem to live to put others down), for the most part all I've received is a barrage of insults and condescending remarks.

No 2 people's experiences will ever be the same and I did not ask for advice on how to settle or any other matter, so why some have to dismiss so readily what I love is purely just down to arrogance and simple bad manners.

I don't think this thread was meant to be an indictment of your decision to emigrate to Canada, I thought it was about camping and the fact that Canadian campsites are crap because they don't have roller skating.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Cazandi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
What defeatist bollox. If you don't, for example, have to grow old in Canada, it's better not to do it, to change things so you don't have to, rather than whistling a happy tune as you put up with it.
You have your opinion which I find negative but I am sure you have good reasons, I have a positive focus which you don't seem to agree with. I would say thats is your problem not mine.

Puzzled why it is "defeatist bollox" as you eloquently put it but I would probably rather not get into it.

Have a nice day
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:22 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Seriously? Have they told you what the secret actually is?
From what I can tell the secret is that if you stay in denial, things won't hurt you or something. Oh and there's something about how if you wish really really hard, you can get new stuff. In other words, delusional thinking.

I have a friend who went all Secret on me when her business wasn't doing well. Nonetheless, her business did end up failing due to circumstances out of her control (Canada Line).
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:23 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What defeatist bollox. If you don't, for example, have to grow old in Canada, it's better not to do it, to change things so you don't have to, rather than whistling a happy tune as you put up with it.
exactly
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cazandi
Puzzled why it is "defeatist bollox" as you eloquently put it but I would probably rather not get into it.
It suggests that one should smile happily and facilely rather than improving one's situation. I assume Mr. or Ms. Glibran owns a sweatshop as it's the sort of thing one would say to one's idiot minions.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:27 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Positive experience. Been here 4 years and kinda like it. Is it a dream or is it working, paying bills, eating and sleeping? A yogurt commercial it isn't. 'Nuff said.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:22 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me if I could delete this thread then I would. I only posted it to introduce myself and offer to share my experiences in getting here with people who might find it useful. Aside from many lovely private messages welcoming me, (and advising me to avoid certain people who seem to live to put others down), for the most part all I've received is a barrage of insults and condescending remarks.

No 2 people's experiences will ever be the same and I did not ask for advice on how to settle or any other matter, so why some have to dismiss so readily what I love is purely just down to arrogance and simple bad manners.
I have been reading this thread and not participating too much, but as one of the "older members" maybe I can make a few comments.

First, welcome to Canada, and welcome to BE. :

Second, I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying your time here, and long may that continue. There are many many people who successfully move over here, and for whom it does not get jaded or tired, but of course many of them do not post on here as they are off living their lives.

Many of us on here have made our experiences, good and bad, available to those who come after us, and continue to do so. Some people ask for advice and many are happy to give it whether or not it is solicited. We are well-used to newcomers having greater or lesser satisfaction with their new lives over here.

If you wonder why some of the responses have seemed less than friendly, there are a number of reasons. One is that some people on here are dorks, and they know who they are, so I don't need to name names. I think it is in many people's nature to rain on other people's parade (a la Eeyore)

Another factor though might be your own approach, don't you think? It's probably just enthusiasm, but you might have been a little more circumspect in your entrance to what is, after all, an established community. It was all a bit "TA-DAAAAAH!!!!! Here I am, look at me, aren't I the one. Read my blog, ask me anything you want to know, cos I've done it and it's all marvellous!"

In a way it is a bit of a refreshing change from the new folks that come here and don't seem to have any clue as to what it's all about. Personally, as I say, I am happy that you are happy. I even read some of your blog, and I wish you all the best in your new venture.

Just relax and don't try to fight everyone on here that tries to put you down, and You'll either become a longstanding and useful member on BE or you'll soon get fed up with the lot of us and go and do something more interesting instead!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:41 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think some people are just addicted to being offended.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:41 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I think some people are just addicted to being offended.
That you think that, offends me.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
That you think that, offends me.
ho ho.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:48 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Basically Canada is pretty much like the UK, just a bit crapper.
I see it the other way around, but I left England in 1963 a very different England than that of later years.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I see it the other way around, but I left England in 1963 a very different England than that of later years.
Did you meet Christine Keeler?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:03 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
West!

Edit to add: That's not knocking the East of Canada - I just want PP to move closer to us
YAY!

For me it is a dream come true. Plus I disagree - attitude is everything. A positive person can make the best of a bad situation and a negative person can just wallow and do nothing.

It's all about how you react to a situation and only you can choose how to do that and how to make the best or worst of it.
You need to realise that just because everything is new and shiney for you, other peoples experiences differ, it doesn't make them wrong, it doesn't make you wrong, it's just different and this is a discussion, no one is really raining on your parade, just discussing different opinions and circumstances.

Settle down and stop taking offence.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:51 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Did you meet Christine Keeler?
The name rings a bell somewhere in the back of my mind but no. Who is she?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.