Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going to the dentist

Going to the dentist

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:23 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going to the dentist

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Out here in Alberta the fee for a basic filling would probably be at least $200 - just to give you some idea.

The whole service is different too. Assuming its the same out your way - dont expect a private room with one dentists chair. The dentist will start your treatment, leave you with an assistant, and move on to another patient. You are unable to see the other patients - but you can hear it all. Our dentist roams around at least three chairs. The childrens pediatric dentist has six chairs (she does have one chair in a private area - but no door - for those more 'troublesome' treatments).

Have fun.

Mrs G
I've never experienced or even heard of that type of dental office layout before! I'd be out the door pretty quick.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBC
My kidlet lost his crown this afternoon (I won't mention the toffee his friend gave him ) - this happened after the dental surgery was closed, but I have just had a phone call from the dentist (from her home!) advising what to do in case kidlet gets in pain - and sorting out an appointment for tomorrow.

Did anyone get service like this in UK?!

Clare
Yeh, Mr B gives service like this all the time. He's particularly tough with the nitwits who call just after the shops have closed on a Sunday, or just after the football's finished on a Saturday...and begins to question if they're in such pain why then they waited so late in the day to call!!!

Seriously though, if you're a registered NHS patient with a toothache they are obliged to see you within 24hrs - no better than the service you're getting in Canada. Here, in Glasgow, if you call his surgery after hours you get a message to ring the dental hospital which has an evening walk-in clinic until 10pm that you are welcome to attend. All the Glasgow dentists take it in turn to staff this clinic at the hospital. If you call later than that Mr B will see you instantly providing you are bleeding or massively swollen...and frankly if it's that bad you should be down A&E, but anyhow, it's a pretty good emergency on-calll system.

Biiiiink
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I've never experienced or even heard of that type of dental office layout before! I'd be out the door pretty quick.
Neither had we, but Glas mentioned it in a previous thread so I was telling Mr B about it, he's horrified and will have nothing to do with such a set-up when he gets to Canada. We've all read about the folks who get the wrong kidney removed...etc etc, slip-ups would be far too easily done! If you've got all those chairs, get associates in!!!!!