Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going back to England

Wikiposts

Going back to England

Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:38 pm
Over here

virion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant future
Default Re: Going back to England

Its a shame you never waited for your son to even try school before coming back, September is just round the corner! I am sure his worries would have disappeared when he started.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Good Luck for the future and I wish you all the best.

At least you can say you tried

Karla x x x
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Smiths

You are obviously a caring mum and wife who is aware that her familiy's happiness is paramount.

The arrogance of some people on this forum is quite incredible sometimes.

Good luck Mandy home is where the people you love are.

so those of us that don't give up at the first hurdles/sign of upset are not caring mums

I don't believe its ignorance its disbelief that someone can leave/quit so soon after arriving. Not a 'dig' at Mandi moo by the way, maybe at the hubbie/son and others that i have read about that give up so soon after arriving.

I have 2 children/husband here in canada and 1 daughter/family in UK i love both equally so home is not where the people i love are.
As i've said before if husband wanted to return to UK im not sure i would want to go back now.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by gibbos1
H**Y S**TE MANDI, what the f*** is going on??????????
You have been such a big help and inspiration to me, I can't believe you are coming back. Surely your OH knew it was going to be hard for the first 12 months, bloody hell, your in a new strange country, new job, of course it's going to be different terminology and ways of doing things, that's why I have been asking all the employers I have been talking to for help and good training. They don't want to waste their time with a bloke, that gives up after 3 months, so surely they could help him, give him extra training, so that in 12 months he will be well on his way and would have picked a lot of it up.
I thought I read somewhere that you have three attemps at the red seal exam and if you fail all three, you take an entrance exam to see where you are in the Canadian plumbing and they put you into that year. So even if he got put onto say the second year, surely if you spoke to the company that he is working for, you could come to some sort of arrangement about keeping the same rate of pay, as long as they could see you were trying? I have been talking to some 2nd and 3rd plumbers, that are earning some bloody good money. Ok it might not be what he was earning over here in the UK, but surely you budgeted for the drop???

OHH really sorry for going on, just really shocked that you of all people, are giving up so early???????

I will send you an email/PM, please dont be offended by these words, just trying to understand.
As for your son, kick him up the ar** and tell him to get on with it. Explain to him, he will have a better way of life and future staying there in Canada.

Really sorry for you, will be intouch, good luck Mand,
kind regards,
Carl
OOOPPSS, I think I've bulls up with these comments, really very sorry Mandi.
I had just got in from nights and was having a look on the forum, when I found your thread and I was so shocked. I am finding it very difficult to get a WP with my experience in plumbing. You have giving me so much help and advice and reading your story from the start, I was sure you and your family would be one of the ones to make it.
It's just made me think. if your husband finds it hard after 25 years in the job, what chance do I have? Please tell your husband, that I apologise for speaking out of term and if we ever meet, I will have to buy him a few pints. What was the hardest part for him?

As for your son, I should not have commented, because my two are much younger. I was a bit shocked to hear he was finding it hard, a 16 year old, with all those girls and then when the winter gets there, all that winter sport? I know my two can't wait. Please send him my apologises too.

Once again I sorry to hear about your decision, but I forgot, it's your decision and I'm sure you hard a hard battle in making it.

If you want to give me a peace of your mind, please do.

Hope you stay in touch, because your views are much needed and again very sorry for the comments. Good luck with your new life, please let us know how you and your family are getting on and maybe, you never know, you might all decided to go back????

All the best, take care, speak soon,
regards,
Carl
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:13 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Irony would be in a few years the son decides he would like to move to Canada, would not be the first time.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

The Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jempee
so those of us that don't give up at the first hurdles/sign of upset are not caring mums

I don't believe its ignorance its disbelief that someone can leave/quit so soon after arriving. Not a 'dig' at Mandi moo by the way, maybe at the hubbie/son and others that i have read about that give up so soon after arriving.

I have 2 children/husband here in canada and 1 daughter/family in UK i love both equally so home is not where the people i love are.
As i've said before if husband wanted to return to UK im not sure i would want to go back now.
Sorry you feel that my post was aimed at you...it wasn't.

I just think that the number of people who wrote telling Mandy to wait till Sept (as if she hadn't thought about that already) were a bit much.

Why is putting the combined happiness of your family over your individual needs quitting? I personally think that she has been incredibly brave to do so.

BTW i said that the post were arrogant not ignorant....there is a difference
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:39 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Come on peeps everyone knows from experience that as kids we knew that happiness is all dependant on what is happening today. Not what fs but what was today. Whole lives have been ruined because of parents moving.

As kids we also knew Friends are great people you never ever drift apart your school social life will carrying on after work and it's never going to better.

And if you remember back to your childhoods I bet more than once you were forced to do something that, tho turned out to be good, was really horrible as you where forced to do it. Parents know nuffink.

So is really important that parents listen to their kids and do the life changing decision they want as they know best.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
Come on peeps everyone knows from experience that as kids we knew that happiness is all dependant on what is happening today. Not what fs but what was today. Whole lives have been ruined because of parents moving.

As kids we also knew Friends are great people you never ever drift apart your school social life will carrying on after work and it's never going to better.

And if you remember back to your childhoods I bet more than once you were forced to do something that, tho turned out to be good, was really horrible as you where forced to do it. Parents know nuffink.

So is really important that parents listen to their kids and do the life changing decision they want as they know best.

Hi
A very 'UK PC' passage.
reminds me of why we left.

My kids didn't want to come, friends etc etc ...
My girl was in a great school, picked out 'as young talented & gifted'by her school, my boy due to start there last september.
But after a month of starting school here she said
' moving here is like a dream come true, please don't ever move back to england'
My boy likewise has settled in well.
Cheers
Jerry
Old Aug 30th 2007, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Smiths
Sorry you feel that my post was aimed at you...it wasn't.

I just think that the number of people who wrote telling Mandy to wait till Sept (as if she hadn't thought about that already) were a bit much.

Why is putting the combined happiness of your family over your individual needs quitting? I personally think that she has been incredibly brave to do so.

BTW i said that the post were arrogant not ignorant....there is a difference
sorry makes me feel a little touchy. I think that maybe as i said in last post it is hard to believe that people go back after such a short time. Kids are fickle creatures I know that mine on many occasions has cried etc but she will have to stick it out or be very unhappy for the next few years as we are staying.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Next month we'll have been here three years and on balance if there was an easy way of returning to the UK then I'd do it. But that's no different to how I felt after being here for three months. My feelings haven't really changed but I do generally feel more settled here even I'm not completely enthusiastic about it.

I don't know how long people should give it before turning around and heading back but time can go by so quickly that I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to delay returning if there's a lot of unhappiness.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jempee
sorry makes me feel a little touchy. I think that maybe as i said in last post it is hard to believe that people go back after such a short time. Kids are fickle creatures I know that mine on many occasions has cried etc but she will have to stick it out or be very unhappy for the next few years as we are staying.

Also, can i just point out that our friends teenager is constantly on MSN talking to her old school friends in the UK. Although it's fine to keep in touch, but she's not really moving on with her life here and not putting much effort into making new friends here. Therefore she's constantly whining about not liking Canada and wishing she could go back to her friends and England. She's making their lives a misery.

Jo xx
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:35 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how you can be a black sheep twice, once when you leave the UK for Canada and again when you leave Canada for the UK.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:49 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you are probably back in the UK now, good luck to you all.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear of your troubles, only you know what is best for the family and I just hope that things work out for you back in the UK and there are no regrets.
I can not make much comment about it all as have no idea how you have all felt... none of us have felt at all homesick and feel so settled in our new life... even more so than we did in the UK.
Goodluck
xxx
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We moved over to the Okanagan in June and I've not been on the forum much since, so I am totally out of touch.

I am sorry to hear that you are facing another upheaval and all the hassles of another move. Having just started to get settled I don't envy you. It must've been a very tough call to make.

We've been through our ups and downs as a family since we arrived, it's hard going no matter how much you plan beforehand, and there have been times when I've woken in the middle of the night, felt wobbly and thought 'what the f... have I done?'. But overall, it's good and getting better.
So I'm with you all the way. We're getting ourselves sorted out now and I can't see us ever going back to the UK. (I know, never say never.) but I genuinely feel for you.

Good luck to you all, and I hope it works out for the best for you.
Take care.
OK Murrays

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.