Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Global Financial Crisis - Best Time To Move?

Global Financial Crisis - Best Time To Move?

Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

TrinaForest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Global Financial Crisis - Best Time To Move?

Hello,

My husband and I had planned to move to Toronto later in the year. But now we're not sure how the financial crisis is going to effect our success in finding jobs and stability. Do we wait, or do we take the plunge and hope for the best? Will it make a difference for a couple in our position?

My husband was born in Canada but moved to Cyprus when he was very young. We've visited Toronto a few times and decided that Canada has more to offer than this small island. We are both still young (27 & 34) so we thought now would be a good time to move somewhere different. My husband has ten years experience working as a computer technician/systems administrator. He does not have a college diploma, only a MCSA certification. I am hoping to work in sales, or as a receptionist.

We will have some money behind us ($25,000) that we were hoping to give as a downpayment on our own apartment if we decide to settle there. We want to find jobs fairly quickly so that our wages can cover our expenses.

We also need to buy basic furniture, and other essentials (we won't be bringing a container) so we're basically starting from scratch.

Will it make much difference if we go now? How easy would it be finding jobs in our fields?

Please advise.

Thankyou