Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting the Social insurance number (SIN) - quickest option?

Getting the Social insurance number (SIN) - quickest option?

Old Jan 11th 2021, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting the Social insurance number (SIN) - quickest option?

Hey guys, I just arrived in BC on a work permit, and need to sort out the SIN and a bank acc ASAP for my employer to enrol me in.
I am under quarantine for 2 weeks, so trying to figure out the quickest way to get these 2 sorted.

Any suggestions given the COVID related circumstances?

I can't seem to apply online because this says I need address proof - this is a bit of an obstacle even if I am doing at a branch after quarantine, as I won't have some official document showing address until I open bank acc or something after quarantine.
Applicants guide – Online application for Social Insurance Number - Canada.ca

For bank acc, I checked with MBO and RBC both clearly say you need to visit a branch, and online banks like Tangerine and Simplii need the SIN.

Trying to contact the SIN support line on phone at the minute, 1.5 hour waiting list...

Thanks
Old Jan 11th 2021, 8:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting the Social insurance number (SIN) - quickest option?

There are more options than just a bank account for proof of address. Do you have a lease or contract for where you are presently living? Do you have any utility /phone bills in your name? Do you have an employment contract with your name and address on it? Any of those is sufficient for proof of address.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...e.html#address
Examples of acceptable proof of address:
  • a letter or document from a government (federal, provincial, territorial or foreign)
  • a letter or document from a financial institution (bank statement, credit card statement, mortgage contract or statement, etc.)
  • a residential tenancy agreement/ lease
  • a bill (from among others a telecom provider, a cable provider, a utility provider, etc.)
  • any document issued by a school, college or university that shows your address
  • employment contract that shows your address
  • a letter from an organization or an institution attesting the mailing address of the applicant. The organization/institution and the applicant must sign the letter confirming the mailing address
Your alternative is to apply by mail
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...sin/apply.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...g.html#primary

As to the bank - you can start the process online with Scotia bank or one of the others - then make an appointment to complete it for when you have finished quarantine - people often start the process from overseas. They may even write to you if you ask them nicely. You will be issued with an account number etc., in advance. Lots of info in our wiki: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Banking-Canada
https://online.royalbank.com/cgi-bin...2152#/newcomer

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 11th 2021 at 9:00 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2021, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently staying at a airbnb for quarantine. so no tenancy or lease documents i can show - I don't want them to send it here as i will move out soon. my employers offer letter had my uk address, guess i'll have to wait out till quarantine is over and visit a branch to get it done on the day.
Old Jan 12th 2021, 3:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eversmannx
I am currently staying at a airbnb for quarantine. so no tenancy or lease documents i can show - I don't want them to send it here as i will move out soon. my employers offer letter had my uk address, guess i'll have to wait out till quarantine is over and visit a branch to get it done on the day.
Do you have another place to move to, once your airbnb booking has ended? If you do, then apply by mail and have it sent there (20 day maximum turnaround) - no proof of address required. If you attend in person you will need proof of address.
An offer letter is not a contract of employment.
Old Jan 12th 2021, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Do you have another place to move to, once your airbnb booking has ended? If you do, then apply by mail and have it sent there (20 day maximum turnaround) - no proof of address required. If you attend in person you will need proof of address.
An offer letter is not a contract of employment.
Yes, I will be staying at a friends place until we find the place to rent and it will be our temporary address for all purposes.
I contacted the support line today and they did say, no address proof required when applied in person...
Old Jan 12th 2021, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

BananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond repute

In November 2019 I applied for my SIN at the Service Canada office in Richmond, BC. They did not ask me for proof of address. They issued me with a sheet of paper with my SIN written on it along with my address. I used this sheet of paper as proof of address to open a bank account at a branch of BMO in Richmond.
Old Jan 12th 2021, 11:53 pm
Banned

Yes, I will be staying at a friends place until we find the place to rent and it will be our temporary address for all purposes.
I contacted the support line today and they did say, no address proof required when applied in person...
Old Jan 14th 2021, 12:12 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Yeah I was just going to add that I'm a member of a social media group where this question comes up frequently and the recommendation always seems to be to just go to Service Canada once out of quarantine. Apparently the online application is next to useless and a lot of people are refused after weeks of waiting even when they've supplied all the right details.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

I got a call from an officer for my query, and yeah it looks as my online application won't be accepted because any form of letter with the employer also needs to show their signature and not just mine. I have an appointment at a center soon after quarantine now to get this sorted.

While on this topic, they said, i am able to open bank account if they are non interest bearing (SIN is not required for this) - but wasnt able to figure out what type of account this would be....
I need both the SIN/bank account to get started with work, so having one without the other isnt really much use.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 4:13 pm
Banned

I got a call from an officer for my query, and yeah it looks as my online application won't be accepted because any form of letter with the employer also needs to show their signature and not just mine. I have an appointment at a center soon after quarantine now to get this sorted.

While on this topic, they said, i am able to open bank account if they are non interest bearing (SIN is not required for this) - but wasnt able to figure out what type of account this would be....
I need both the SIN/bank account to get started with work, so having one without the other isnt really much use.
A chequing account is non interest bearing
https://cba.ca/opening-a-bank-account