Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting ready to move to Winnipeg

Getting ready to move to Winnipeg

Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:59 am
Just Joined

sashamoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting ready to move to Winnipeg

Firstly I would like to say a big Thank You to all the contributors on this site as you have help me with so many questions.

My OH has received his positive LMO and letter but his start date was 1st May. We were worried about sending the paperwork to the CHC in London in case we didn't get it back in time, but after viewing many posts and links he has decide to go straight to POE.

Myself and our 2 kids have decided to go a month after just in case of any problems at POE, even though I think everything will be ok (and he can sort out a few thing out ready for us coming)

I will have so much to do inbetween, rent our house out, transport our dog and cat, sell 2 cars and furniture etc. I'm excited and nervous at the same time!

I do have a couple of questions and I would appriciate any advice.

When me and the kids fly out, we will be travelling a 6 hour journey to London. Would the pets travel down and fly with us or do they get sent out separately and has any one used a company that do this for you and an idea of cost?

Carol

Last edited by sashamoo; Mar 24th 2012 at 10:26 am. Reason: b
Old Mar 24th 2012, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting ready to move to Winnipeg

Originally Posted by sashamoo
Firstly I would like to say a big Thank You to all the contributors on this site as you have help me with so many questions.

My OH has received his positive LMO and letter but his start date was 1st May. We were worried about sending the paperwork to the CHC in London in case we didn't get it back in time, but after viewing many posts and links he has decide to go straight to POE.

Myself and our 2 kids have decided to go a month after just in case of any problems at POE, even though I think everything will be ok (and he can sort out a few thing out ready for us coming)

I will have so much to do inbetween, rent our house out, transport our dog and cat, sell 2 cars and furniture etc. I'm excited and nervous at the same time!

When me and the kids fly out, we will be travelling a 6 hour journey to London. Would the pets travel down and fly with us or do they get sent out separately and has any one used a company that do this for you and an idea of cost?

Carol
Hi there, welcome to British Expats.
If you put a search in above using the keyword "pets" you will be inundated with old threads on peoples experiences of moving there pets to Canada. We shipped our dog from Yorkshire to Winnipeg last September with a company called Parair who we would highly recommend. Check out there website. If I remember correctly they cost about £1250 which was £50 more than Air Canada had quoted for us to arrange it all ourselves.
Good luck
Old Mar 24th 2012, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

daiske is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sashamoo,
I cannot help you about your questions....but... could you please post how much time were you waiting for your LMO?
Thanx
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Hi daiske,

We started the LMO process with the employer back in Jan 2012 and received in March. It seemed to take ages and was a great relief when it came through

Cheers
Old Apr 11th 2012, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GC44
Hi there, welcome to British Expats.
If you put a search in above using the keyword "pets" you will be inundated with old threads on peoples experiences of moving there pets to Canada. We shipped our dog from Yorkshire to Winnipeg last September with a company called Parair who we would highly recommend. Check out there website. If I remember correctly they cost about £1250 which was £50 more than Air Canada had quoted for us to arrange it all ourselves.
Good luck
Thank you GC44, just getting used to the search bit now i have members perks

How are you finding it in sunny Winnipeg and which side of the city are you on?

Cheers
Old Apr 11th 2012, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

daiske is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi daiske,

We started the LMO process with the employer back in Jan 2012 and received in March. It seemed to take ages and was a great relief when it came through

Cheers
Thanks for your reply.
You are lucky, we are still waiting after 14 weeks...It's so frustrating....
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Carol
Hi there, I'm just wondering how you have decided on what part of winnipeg to live? Best of luck with your move.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Hi there, I'm just wondering how you have decided on what part of winnipeg to live? Best of luck with your move.
Wow...2 more BE's in Winnipeg, this is becoming a trend! We'll soon be the new "goto" destination; seriously its a great place despite the negativity thrown our way the the rest of Canada.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

For those thinking of moving to Manitoba

As according to the Statistics, 3 percent of immigrants have gained social assistance after arriving there, around 85 percent of the immigrants are still working after three months; approximately 89 percent of immigrants are having full time jobs and 95 percent are happy and not thinking of leaving it. It is Evident from above that Manitoba’s immigrants are experiencing the highest employment rates and lowest unemployment rates in Canada.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:54 pm
B.E.Enthusiast

vettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
For those thinking of moving to Manitoba

As according to the Statistics, 3 percent of immigrants have gained social assistance after arriving there, around 85 percent of the immigrants are still working after three months; approximately 89 percent of immigrants are having full time jobs and 95 percent are happy and not thinking of leaving it. It is Evident from above that Manitoba’s immigrants are experiencing the highest employment rates and lowest unemployment rates in Canada.
Thanks for posting that Information
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vettemaster
Thanks for posting that Information
Not everything revolves around Toronto & Vancover
Old Apr 12th 2012, 6:11 pm
B.E.Enthusiast

vettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Not everything revolves around Toronto & Vancover
Exactly
Old Apr 12th 2012, 6:59 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
Congrats on the move, any questions about settling in etc. just fire away.
Darren
Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Thanks irish eyes, we are hoping to be on the west side of the city near the perimeter but renting is so expensive......
Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Arrow Re: Getting ready to move to Winnipeg

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi
Congrats on the move, any questions about settling in etc. just fire away.
Darren
Thanks darren. My main concern at the mo is to getting in ok at POE. Just gathering everything together, paperwork wise, and making sure we have all whats needed as my OH will be on route to Canada in less that 2 weeks but I'm sure I will have questions once we are all there