Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting my PR soon - Which city?

Wikiposts

Getting my PR soon - Which city?

Old Sep 7th 2014, 8:41 pm
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Getting my PR soon - Which city?

Hi Guys,
I'm a manchester brit and I'm someone who gets to work remotely so I tried Canada about 6 months ago. I enjoyed my time there so much I decided to apply for FSW PR and now been accepted as part of the May2014 intake.

My question is guys, I went back to TO back June and July but felt a different a energy of the city. It didn't seem as new and was hit my some rudeness and abrasion in certain parts (mainly Liberty King and parts of Bathurst and King).

So my question is - Is Toronto not really all that much and the honeymooon period fizzes out quite quickly? Is it worth trying Van instead??

And should I only be in Canada for 6 months of the year and pop back when it freezes over?

thanks guys
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting my PR soon - Which city?

Wow, are you saying you applied in May and got approved already? That's crazy good, man.

Re: rudeness, people in Saskatchewan are nice, but the weather there is freezing.

Vancouver is very nice, but people are cold in their own weird ways.

If you can do remote work, I would definitely stick to the freedom of popping in and out.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:38 pm
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dishwashing
Wow, are you saying you applied in May and got approved already? That's crazy good, man.

Re: rudeness, people in Saskatchewan are nice, but the weather there is freezing.

Vancouver is very nice, but people are cold in their own weird ways.

If you can do remote work, I would definitely stick to the freedom of popping in and out.
No its "Accepted into processing and in progress" so expect I'll have it by new year.

Noticed being able to go in and out is a good thing .But Should I commit longer term to Toronto? I am a big city guy afterall
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

I think the answer is no-one can answer that for you, except yourself. Maybe bite the bullet and try it. Even better, do a trip before hand to see the different cities, see what vibe you like etc. I think the honeymoon does wear off but the fact is it's horses for courses. You have a remote job, skills, choices, that's a great place to be. Also weather is a huge factor so suss out what's right for you, temperature and wind chill speakin', Bro..

Good luck with it all.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

PS there will be plenty of people after me to give their very informed opinions too so hang on I have a flight to catch to Colombia so catch ya.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

If you're working remotely, why not try a different area for a few months each time and go from there?
Old Sep 8th 2014, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto is a large city and to move around it expecting nothing but kindness and love is naive to say the least. For all I know you may have said something/acted in some manner to precipitate the rudeness. Toughen up and get on with life. There will be people you perceive to be rude and abrasive in Vancouver or any city for that matter.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 1:36 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

My impression of Toronto is that it's a better place to live in than to visit. Some of the rudeness you saw might just be cultural difference, I'm thinking here of door holding, no one seems to do that.

If you are out of a Canada too long you won't maintain your PR status and if out of the province for too long you lose your health cover.i can't remember the precise a number of days.

Anyway you are aways off yet. How long does processing PR applications take at the moment?
Old Sep 8th 2014, 7:10 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
My impression of Toronto is that it's a better place to live in than to visit. Some of the rudeness you saw might just be cultural difference, I'm thinking here of door holding, no one seems to do that.

If you are out of a Canada too long you won't maintain your PR status and if out of the province for too long you lose your health cover.i can't remember the precise a number of days.

Anyway you are aways off yet. How long does processing PR applications take at the moment?
Around 27 months if it's being processed in the UK!

Processing times for federal skilled worker applications
Old Sep 8th 2014, 7:50 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie
No its "Accepted into processing and in progress" so expect I'll have it by new year.
Think you're being overally optimistic there.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:22 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie

Noticed being able to go in and out is a good thing .But Should I commit longer term to Toronto? I am a big city guy afterall
AS Aviator says, it's a bit of a moot point for some time! Processing times are over 2 years for applications through London. There's plenty of time for you to visit numerous cities as a non-committed tourist first.