Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

getting married in the UK/flight prices

getting married in the UK/flight prices

Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

123me is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting married in the UK/flight prices

I am Canadian and my boyfriend is British and we are deciding where and when to get married. Our divorces are now finally through and I am going for holiday the first of the year for 12 days. I have read posts before that say you have to be in the country for a certain number of days before you can get married, is that the case, or was that post perhaps referring to British citizens that were living abroad? If we get married in January then we can start the application process then, and have another ceremony in Canada in the summer. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Also, where are the best sites to look for the best flight prices?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting married in the UK/flight prices

I do know you need a special visa to get married in the UK, but afraid I don't know any more than that! I'm not sure how many people on here will know about it (as obviously most are UKC's), so perhaps a quick Google will answer the question?? Alternatively, it may be worth posting in the marriage visas section of the US forum as they know lots about getting married in the UK there - I know neither of you are in the US, but I'm sure they'd be able to help.

Good luck with the wedding.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:12 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 123me
I am Canadian and my boyfriend is British and we are deciding where and when to get married. Our divorces are now finally through and I am going for holiday the first of the year for 12 days. I have read posts before that say you have to be in the country for a certain number of days before you can get married, is that the case, or was that post perhaps referring to British citizens that were living abroad? If we get married in January then we can start the application process then, and have another ceremony in Canada in the summer. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Also, where are the best sites to look for the best flight prices?
Not sure about marrying in the UK but we married in BC a couple of years ago and it was dead easy. There's no limitation on time and you just need to pop to a Service Canada (i think) to get a licence. We got our licence the day after arriving and were married the day after that.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment, you cannot just go on a visit to the UK and get married.

First of all, you have to get permission to enter for marriage purposes (crazy) by going to the nearest British Embassy.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/wh...ip/documents/#

Applying from overseas

If you are currently outside the UK and you want to come here to get married or register a civil partnership, the documents you need will depend on how long you intend to stay in the UK.

If you are coming to the UK as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership and you plan to leave the UK after the ceremony, you must get entry clearance (permission to enter) for a visit for marriage or a visit for civil partnership.

Then you have to obtain a certificate of approval of marriage prior to the ceremony. (Conversely, if you get married in an Anglican Church, you don't need approval.)

They are about to change the law on the issuance of certificates of approval for marriages, as it was challenged, so that you will not need to get approval prior to marriage.

It is supposed to come into effect at the end of 2010 or early 2011. However, until it does you are required to obtain a certificate of approval before marriage.

See: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/sit...32-coa-changes (change of law)

It would be far easier to get married in Canada.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 1st 2010 at 2:18 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

I also hold a Dutch passport, do the same rules apply in that case?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 3:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure, but I think you won't need a marriage permit if your other passport is an EEC one. (taken from pdf below).

2.1 If you
(a) are an EEA (European Economic Area) national exercising rights of residence in the UK, or
(b) are the family member of an EEA national exercising rights of residence in the UK, or
(c) have settled status in the UK (i.e. are free of any restriction on the period for which you may remain; this is normally signified by an indefinite leave to enter or remain stamp or residence permit in your passport) then you will not require a certificate of approval for marriage or civil partnership in order to be able to give to a registrar notice to marry or register your civil partnership.

However, in order to get a England/Wales marriage licence residency rules dictate that both parties be resident in the district they are applying to for 7 days before applying and then there is a 15 day wait for the marriage licence.

I suggest you have a read of the websites and also this pdf.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...oaguidance.pdf

4.2 In England and Wales, both of you must have at least seven days residence in a registration district before you can give your notices to marry or register your civil partnership. Those notices can be given at any designated register office, but both of you must attend together.

4.6 After you have given notice to marry or register your civil partnership, you have to wait 15 full days before your wedding or registering of your civil partnership can take place (14 days in Scotland and Northern Ireland).

It looks like you could circumvent this by marrying in Scotland where you can submit the application for a marriage licence up to 4 months in advance - but you would need to read this to double check. http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files...on/rm1text.pdf

More information on registering for a marriage licence can be found here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...hips/DG_175717

I really would suggest getting married in Canada!

Edit: Do you by any chance live in Newfoundland? If you do, NF and the UK government have an agreement that residents can register for a marriage licence without being present in England:

For marriages: British or Commonwealth citizens are able to give notice in the country they are living in, provided that that country has signed up to the 'British Subjects Facilities Acts 1915 and 1916'. You can find out which countries are eligible below. The other party must be a resident of England or Wales

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_176221.pdf - Canada (Newfoundland only)

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 1st 2010 at 3:16 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, and yes I think it would be best to get married here in Ontario!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply, and yes I think it would be best to get married here in Ontario!
When we were looking into it, the spouse "permission" had just come into force - so we decided on getting married in canada - was just soooo much less hassle!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Right, it looks like it....
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

El Richo, did you get married at City Hall?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:26 pm
Banned

In Ontario it is so much easier.

Step one - get your divorce paperwork together (see below)

Step two - fill out this form: Marriage Licence Application

Step three - go to city hall, submit the application together with a copy of the divorce absolutes and ministers authorisation and the identification papers required (see link) and pay the fee. Edit: just found out as you are divorced you have to fill in this form too: Statement of Sole Responsibility

Step four - get married!

A marriage licence is valid for 3 months.

Marriage after divorce

Canadian Divorce: If you were divorced in Canada, you must provide the original or a court-certified copy (photocopies not accepted) of your certificate of divorce, or Decree Absolute. A certified copy of your certificate of divorce may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce. Please note that a Judgement issued by the Court is not acceptable proof of divorce.

Foreign Divorce: If you were divorced, or your marriage was dissolved or annulled outside of Canada, please request additional forms, which provide further information and instructions. A foreign divorce kit will be provided to you outlining the steps required to proceed. Note: You will forward the completed kit to the Province of Ontario, Minister of Government Services for authorization. This process could take up to 4 weeks to complete. You must get authorization from the Minister of Government Services before a marriage licence can be issued to you

Foreign Divorce Kit
Foreign Divorce Kit forms may be obtained at the Customer Service Centre at City Hall.

An applicant whose former marriage was dissolved or annulled in a jurisdiction other than Canada must obtain authorization from the Ministry of Consumer & Commercial Relations BEFORE a marriage licence can be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants, or a lawyer representing them, must submit:

● A completed Marriage Licence Application signed by both applicants.
● A copy of the Decree(s) of Divorce or Annulment (certified by the proper Court Officer in the jurisdiction where the divorce/annulment was granted or sealed by the Court). When the decree is in a language other than English or French, a certified translation is also required.
● A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both applicants. Blank Affidavit.
● A legal opinion of an Ontario Solicitor, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario.

The above information must be submitted to:
Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600. 189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8

In addition to the above, and in order to expedite this authorization: please enclose the telephone number and return address where the couple can be contacted if further information is required.If a courier is required, please purchase a prepaid envelope.After receiving written authorization from the Office of the Registrar General, return to your local municipal office with the completed marriage application form, and the authorization letter to obtain your Marriage Licence.

Full details: http://www.toronto.ca/marriage/index.htm

Edit: We got our licence from City Hall and then went to Niagara Falls to get married (it was really cheap, lol)

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 1st 2010 at 5:33 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 6:20 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

El Richo, did you get married at City Hall?
Nope we were married in a location within downtown Vancouver
Old Nov 1st 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all this valuable information.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:27 pm
Banned

You are very welcome
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I disagree, we were married in UK b/c it was way too much hassle in Ont. As you are divorced you basically have to have your divorce decree validated (for lack of better word) by a Ont lawyer...cha ching....UK they just need to see the divorce decree
Also in Ont, you do not get your marriage cert right away and you have to wait for it.....the one they give you at the wedding is ceremonial and not accepted by immigration. The one you get in UK the day you marry is acceptable. Yes you need a COA to marry in UK, but less hassle then waiting forever in Ont for divorce to be certifed and waiting for marriage cert.
You do need to post the bands in UK and depending on what county you are marring in depends on time frame. We married in Essex and I believe it was 14 or 16 days....you need to check out both countries in detail and figure out what is best for you and your time frame and bank acct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.