Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

getting married in canada

getting married in canada

Old Apr 10th 2011, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

lachem1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting married in canada

Hi i am coming to canada for 6 months to live with my girlfriend, we are thinking of getting married while i am there. I am a uk citizen.

Do i need to be in canada for a certain number of days before we can get married?
Would i need any paperwork to allow me to get married in canada being a uk citizen?

Any help is appreciated thanks
Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of
Default Re: getting married in canada

The process is pretty much the same whether you are a resident or not. I got married in Ontario while visiting for the summer. I had to go get a licence, show ID (passport etc.) to prove who I was, paid the fee and then you have x amount of time whle the licence is valid and then we had the wedding. The officiant registered it and then some time later a certificate is sent and that is pretty much all there was to it paperwork wise. Being married doesn't really entitle you to anything immigration wise so it is not a laborious process of interviews and inspections and all that to get married.
That all comes later if you apply for permanent resident status.
One thing I would say is make sure you document your wedding well. Lots of pictures and things to show later that it was a genuine wedding and not a quick convenience for ease of immigration.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting married in canada

There shouldn't be any problem. My husband came to Ontario to marry me and we didn't encounter any problems. We went to the town hall in the town I lived in and got our marriage license. We got married two months later. We had to show identification but there was no residency requirement.