Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting married back in the UK

Getting married back in the UK

Old Jun 5th 2016, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting married back in the UK

We've been in Canada for 3 years, and are going back to Scotland in November to get married. One of the venues we've been looking at has a lot of 'overseas weddings', and said there might be things we needed to organise because we don't live in the UK. This is coming 2nd hand from my mum but the phrase she used was 'proclamations/bans'?? She said she was told that if we were coming from another country to get married in the UK we need some kind of certificate. However I've no idea if we actually do, because we're still British citizens with UK passports.
Anyone got any experience with this sort of thing?
(Also is there anything we need to do when we get back to Canada?)
Thanks!
Old Jun 5th 2016, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married back in the UK

Honestly i'd just get married at the courthouse in Canada before you go then just have your ceremony in the UK.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

As per the below, you need to give notice:

I Want to Get Married in Scotland. How Do I Go About It? | National Records of Scotland

http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//registration/rm1-leaflet-revised.pdf
Old Jun 6th 2016, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I only know the English and Welsh system and know Scotland is very different but you need to give notice so may weeks before you intend to wed. if you live in the UK you typically give notice at your local registry office. if you don't live in the UK you normally have to give notice at the central registry office for your county who check visas/passport/ID/etc.

When giving notice you tell them where you are planning on marrying and you then contact that council's office to arrange a registrar. After so many weeks have elapsed a certificate is sent from the office where you gave notice to the office who will marry you. The registrar cannot marry you without the certificate.

This only applies to a civil ceremony if you are marrying in a church then the deacon will normally guide you through the process but it involves having the Banns read at so many Sunday services before you marry.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 2:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
.... if you are marrying in a church then the deacon will normally guide you through the process but it involves having the banns read at so many Sunday services before you marry.
That is not necessarily true, but if the banns haven't been read three times in the weeks preceding the wedding, you'll need a "special licence" from the court. ..... Our local vicar in England, forgot to read the bans for one couple, and had to pay for a special licence so the couple could get married.

I seem to recall hearing that at least one half of the happy couple have to have lived in the area (county? ) for two weeks preceding the wedding, so foreign residents can't just roll in to town and get married two days later. I do not know if that applies in Scotland.