Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting a line of credit

Wikiposts

Getting a line of credit

Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Getting a line of credit

Originally Posted by JB0591
dont forget to add on 13% tax even if buying a 2nd hand car. I brought privately and paid the tax when we registered the car.

That is Ontario for you......not sure about Alberta

<added this as your location says Manc-Toronto and did not read original post saying its now Calgary>
Yes I had assumed I needed to add tax on to the prices I see on Autotrader.ca but did not realise you pay the tax when register the car - thanks.

Yes I need to change signature - a job offer = change of plans
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:03 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delsol79
Very useful indeed and really appreciate that.

I am very tempted by new car prices however whilst I have a confirmed job offer I don't know how it is going to work out. Therefore the option of getting finance from a dealer (even though I have seen 0%!) worries me in case I need to pull out during the 3 year period - penalties are huge.

At least with a straight bank loan you can sell the car and pay it back anytime.

Pushing me more towards a new car is the 2nd prices which I know everyone says are ridiculous. I am looking at a Honda Civic Sedan Si. The MSRP is $27k or for about $19-21k I can buy a 2008. Only 6-7k depreciation in 3 years - WOW.
I do not believe there are any penalties if you pay off such a loan either from the auto sale proceeds or re-financing. I have done it twice without being penalized.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I do not believe there are any penalties if you pay off such a loan either from the auto sale proceeds or re-financing. I have done it twice without being penalized.
If you get a loan from the bank of $15k and buy a car then surely after a year if needed you could sell the car and pay off the loan.

If I financed a brand new car over a three year period but after one year I needed to get out, do I not have to pay all the outstanding payments before I hand back? Is the car then sold and any profit above residual value taken off the payments I owe?

Maybe I am missing something but the bank loan option just seems much "cleaner" if you need to sell up.

Last edited by delsol79; Jan 27th 2011 at 1:23 am.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Chrysler offer a new type of financing, and there are no payoff penalties.

http://www.chryslercanada.ca/customerchoice/en/

GM have a no penalty early payoff too.

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/services...s-introduction

These website may be helpful: http://www.caasco.com/automotive/buying-a-car/ and http://www.creditfinancing.ca/auto-financing