Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting a job on the IEC 2014

Getting a job on the IEC 2014

Old Oct 13th 2013, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

twist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting a job on the IEC 2014

So I have been in Vancouver for 5 months now, and finding a job here is tough!

For people planning on visiting Vancouver on the 2014 IEC, it is worth bearing in mind that getting a job maybe a little harder than you would expect. I have a degree and quite a bit of work experience in various occupations ( mainly office jobs and tourism) and so far I have applied for 60 - 65 jobs, some entry level like coffee shops and retail assistants, some mid level and a few higher end jobs. And for all those applications, I managed to get just 2 interviews, one of which was successful but for a seasonal job, the other I haven't heard back from. And savings go down very quickly here, even if you don't party much.

Was a bit of a shock as there are a lot more jobs available here than in the UK, but somehow there seems to be much more competition for them, from people who are willing to work for next to nothing. For example (as my last boss told me) my seasonal job paid $13ph but people where offering to do the same job for just $8ph so that they could work there - and they had 50 applications within the first day of advertising (luckily I was one of the first)

I just wanted to prepare everyone, I'm sure not everyone finds it so hard, sometimes luck will play a part, but after looking at job websites while I was in the UK, and seeing how many where available, I was surprised at how difficult it was to get even an interview.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

segaste is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a job on the IEC 2014

I've been here a week and I've applied for loads. They've all been low level entry jobs (shop work, etc) just to be earning some money.

I'm probably going to give it a few months in Vancouver and then head elsewhere if I'm still unemployeed.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 4:00 am
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

I think its because so many people are out that way who want jobs, that makes it more difficult....
My advice is to Hand CV's in Person - that seemed to work for me but I am in a different area to you.

Also check this out...
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Findin...yment_Agencies

Good luck
Old Oct 15th 2013, 4:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

So you're suggesting that the lower mainland of BC, population say 3 million, has more jobs available than the SE of England, population 30 million?
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:02 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twist_freeride
So I have been in Vancouver for 5 months now, and finding a job here is tough!

For people planning on visiting Vancouver on the 2014 IEC, it is worth bearing in mind that getting a job maybe a little harder than you would expect. I have a degree and quite a bit of work experience in various occupations ( mainly office jobs and tourism) and so far I have applied for 60 - 65 jobs, some entry level like coffee shops and retail assistants, some mid level and a few higher end jobs. And for all those applications, I managed to get just 2 interviews, one of which was successful but for a seasonal job, the other I haven't heard back from. And savings go down very quickly here, even if you don't party much.

Was a bit of a shock as there are a lot more jobs available here than in the UK, but somehow there seems to be much more competition for them, from people who are willing to work for next to nothing. For example (as my last boss told me) my seasonal job paid $13ph but people where offering to do the same job for just $8ph so that they could work there - and they had 50 applications within the first day of advertising (luckily I was one of the first)

I just wanted to prepare everyone, I'm sure not everyone finds it so hard, sometimes luck will play a part, but after looking at job websites while I was in the UK, and seeing how many where available, I was surprised at how difficult it was to get even an interview.
good information that you have provided for others & I wish you good luck & stick with it.

I would like to share with you about a neighbours kid (home grown Canadian) that went to London UK on an IEC. Cold turkey, no relatives in the UK At 28 highly qualified in her field with a degree to boot. She had a difficult time finding related work, she stuck to her guns that it had to be in the field of her expertise. After the penny dropped & reality set in, she ended up doing a few hours per week in menial jobs. It took her 9 months to land a decent job working for way less pay to her UK born & trained counterpart, add to that having to report to someone way less qualified.

Although she took $12,000 with her, lived in a room share & watched every penny, she was running out of money fast, parents sent more & at 8 months (totally teed off) booked her return flight several days before getting the job.

I think the IEC gives those under 30 an opportunity to see the world, however some folks on IEC have high expectations they can land a job similar to where they left off in their home country.

Its the short form immigrant story which you know will be over in 12 months - its not always that easy

So, you're on an IEC from the UK - you have a degree with 6 years experience & you want to do what?

What about a job pumping gas, working in a variety store or maybe a fast food joint, or working in a restaurant washing dishes? There are all kinds of jobs available - maybe two or three PT jobs at minimum wage.

On an IEC you are here for the adventure & if you find a decent job, all the better.

I'm sure that there are many UK folks on IEC's that are in the same boat as the OP - I'm wondering how some of them made out?
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
On an IEC you are here for the adventure & if you find a decent job, all the better.
I think that's how you have to view it. Don't go into it thinking you will carve out the next stage of your career. You might, but more likely, you will not, or it will be a slow year-long stepping stone....
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:21 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
good information that you have provided for others & I wish you good luck & stick with it.

I would like to share with you about a neighbours kid (home grown Canadian) that went to London UK on an IEC. Cold turkey, no relatives in the UK At 28 highly qualified in her field with a degree to boot. She had a difficult time finding related work, she stuck to her guns that it had to be in the field of her expertise. After the penny dropped & reality set in, she ended up doing a few hours per week in menial jobs. It took her 9 months to land a decent job working for way less pay to her UK born & trained counterpart, add to that having to report to someone way less qualified.

Although she took $12,000 with her, lived in a room share & watched every penny, she was running out of money fast, parents sent more & at 8 months (totally teed off) booked her return flight several days before getting the job.

I think the IEC gives those under 30 an opportunity to see the world, however some folks on IEC have high expectations they can land a job similar to where they left off in their home country.

Its the short form immigrant story which you know will be over in 12 months - its not always that easy

So, you're on an IEC from the UK - you have a degree with 6 years experience & you want to do what?

What about a job pumping gas, working in a variety store or maybe a fast food joint, or working in a restaurant washing dishes? There are all kinds of jobs available - maybe two or three PT jobs at minimum wage.

I'm sure that there are many UK folks on IEC's that are in the same boat as the OP - I'm wondering how some of them made out?
Doesn't really explain why there are THOUSANDS of young people working in finance, media, tech and healthcare in London, many starting out as temps or part-time and within several months securing well paid permanent work. Probably more like hundreds of thousands.

Best not to over-generalise on a single unfortunate example.

The OP will find the Vancouver market competitive, but that doesn't mean he has to completely lower his aspirations.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:43 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

You're not very employable with a ONE year visa for degree related jobs.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:55 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Doesn't really explain why there are THOUSANDS of young people working in finance, media, tech and healthcare in London, many starting out as temps or part-time and within several months securing well paid permanent work. Probably more like hundreds of thousands.

Best not to over-generalise on a single unfortunate example.

The OP will find the Vancouver market competitive, but that doesn't mean he has to completely lower his aspirations.
we shall see after the year is over.

Would you employ someone as a permanent employee knowing they only had a one year visa?

If you mean Canada - likely there are temps in jobs who are probably permanent residents, or are you saying (do you know for sure) that some of these folks are all on IEC's from the UK

Good point about temps - the OP could try the temp agencies

As for hanging in tough - I agree
Old Oct 15th 2013, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of employers in Canada are not familiar with the IEC work permits and what can happen after the work permit expires and how that person can get PR status.
Would you employ a person who might only have 10 months to work?
The usual jobs working in a bar, restaurant and service industry have such a high turnover employers know the chances of these workers will move on so there is also a pool to pick from bearing in mind how many students there are in Canada looking for part time or seasonal work.
Getting the higher skilled jobs can be a challenge.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 8:12 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. I was lucky I transferred but they had never heard of the IEC Scheme. Hopefully I get the second visa..
Old Oct 15th 2013, 9:01 pm
Yo

Is there no way to extend a stay if one gets work on an IEC?
Old Oct 15th 2013, 9:03 pm
Dichotomus tinker

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...asp?q=181&t=17
Old Oct 15th 2013, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There are over 50 ways to get PR status if working on an IEC work permit.
The IEC work permit itself cannot be extended so they need to either see if they are eligible to apply under one of those routes or get the employer to apply for an LMO or qualify under another programme such as Federal Skilled Trades etc.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 10:45 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
There are over 50 ways to get PR status if working on an IEC work permit.
The IEC work permit itself cannot be extended so they need to either see if they are eligible to apply under one of those routes or get the employer to apply for an LMO or qualify under another programme such as Federal Skilled Trades etc.
Are they able to continue working while their status is in limbo (assuming that they have applied under one of the other 50 programs)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.