Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting Canadian job from the UK?

Getting Canadian job from the UK?

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Oolon Colluphid is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Getting Canadian job from the UK?

Hello folks, newbie here, please be gentle! I've browsed round here, and haven't found much on this, so hope you don't mind a new thread...

(ETA: Sorry, just realised this might be better in the Immigration forum Mods, please could you move this if you agree? Thanks!)

My wife and I are seriously considering emigrating. It's obviously a way off yet, but it takes a lot of planning, yeah?

Thing is, I repeatedly read that it is far better to have a job lined up before one moves (not to mention it helping with the points -- the more the merrier!). But how do you apply for a job -- more accurately, lots of jobs over some long-ish period -- from 6,000 miles away?

I currently work in admin for Hampshire County Council (can you see why Canada is tempting?!), and have done retail. I've a degree in Classics (LOL!) and plan to have an Open University BSc by the time we move.

But none of this makes it likely that I'll get head-hunted(!) or whatever. All the sorts of work I am familiar with will, if this country is anything to go by, automatically want to interview me: mere letters and CVs and what-have-you won't, I'd have thought, be sufficient. And I can't afford to jump on a plane each time I get invited to interview!

So... how's it done? Can it be done? How did you nice people manage?

Thanks for any ideas.

Cheers, Simon

Last edited by Oolon Colluphid; Aug 22nd 2005 at 1:32 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 2:29 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Canadian job from the UK?

Ok I’ve done it twice….this is my advice

Tip one is find all the web site’s that relate to the field of work you want…. And watch and read regularly.. The jobs are advertised.. but people are right that many are often filled by internal word of mouth… but I can assure you as I’ve just been hiring they do look at all the resumes that come in from the web sites… but having a personal referral locally helps get an interview… but you don’t have that option so

Second find a video conferencing facility close by..

When you apply I would point out that you are either expecting a PR visa by ‘X’ or already have it.. (or if your hoping for a work visa… make sure that the job your going for it’s the type that would be difficult to find a candidate for…other wise it’s a waste of both your and their time) and don’t forget to state that you are more than willing to do 1st interviews by video conference and that facility X is available in your area..
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Oolon Colluphid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting Canadian job from the UK?

Many thanks Mike. I'll look into it a bit nearer the time... sounds a bit scary though (doing an interview via video conferencing -- face-to-face is bad enough! )

Cheers, Simon