Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

getting around pet passport?

getting around pet passport?

Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute
Default getting around pet passport?

It was mentioned in another thread that there are ways of getting around the pet passports requirements. Does anyone know if this is possible, if so can you PM me details?

thanks!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting around pet passport?

Originally Posted by Louisecooke
It was mentioned in another thread that there are ways of getting around the pet passports requirements. Does anyone know if this is possible, if so can you PM me details?

thanks!
Do you mean for pets returning to the UK from Canada, since pet passports have never been required for bringing them over here?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt there are ways round it if returning back to the UK. They will want to see proof of rabies and blood work, there may be a way of shortening the quarantine if that is what you are thinking of if they do not meet rabies requirements
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:36 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks!
I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Even though we decided not to take Harvey we did do his pet passport just in case we changed our minds. We were going to bring him over once we got sorted, you see.

I personally would advice you to have the pet passport done if you are taking your pet because if your plans fall through and you need to move back to the UK you will not have to put them in quarantine for six months or however long it is.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

thanks!

It's all here: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

It is quite simple although it may take in excess of 6 months from the country that you are importing the pet from. Still, it is better than having your pet in quarantine for 6 months in the UK.

HTH
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:42 am
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

Pet Passport is very simple and doesn't take that much time, ours was about 6 weeks from start to finish. We like most of the other posters did this in case for any reason we needed to return to the UK. The cost of 6 month in quarantine far exceeds what blood tests and rabies jab would be.

The Ross Family
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.overhill.co.uk/quarantine/quarantine.htm

I had a quick google for the cost of quarantine if the dog flies in and doesn't have the passport.

My vet has just quoted £160 to get the whole passport and he said to allow 7 months for the process. It seems fairly straightforward.

There was a thread by Ruby in the Moving back forum about this recently from the Canada end.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:37 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Deleted by Cassie

Last edited by Cassie 10000; Jan 29th 2009 at 6:48 pm. Reason: Misread OP's post
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the OP was asking how to return a pet that did not have a pet passport
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I thought the OP was asking how to return a pet that did not have a pet passport
Oh sorry I think I'm misreading it.

Except my apologies everyone.