Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

george best has died

george best has died

Old Nov 25th 2005, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

nickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the rough
Default george best has died

To all you football fans over in canada, the sad news that George best has died this afternoon. i hope he shall be remembered for what a fantastic player he was and not all the bad stuff.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Wild George will become famous soon enoughWild George will become famous soon enough
Default Re: george best has died

Originally Posted by nickybum
To all you football fans over in canada, the sad news that George best has died this afternoon. i hope he shall be remembered for what a fantastic player he was and not all the bad stuff.
The BBC reports that before his death he was asked what he had spent all his money on..his reply.."Girls, booze and the rest I squandered"
Old Nov 25th 2005, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

nickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Wild George
The BBC reports that before his death he was asked what he had spent all his money on..his reply.."Girls, booze and the rest I squandered"
ahh i like that
Old Nov 25th 2005, 3:41 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

ahh i like that
Yeah but bear in mind that he made that quote years ago.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

I am a football fan and have a "George Best" video. He was an amazing player, sadly I only saw him play live in the twilight of his career for Fulham with Bobby Moore.

But I have to say I'm amazed by the coverage his death has received. Since Princess Di the UK press seem to want to out do each other on the amount of coverage.

GB's death was the first story on BBC World this morning (Friday). I am sure there is more important news. I have it on good authority that Sky and the BBC went overboard too.

Perhaps they are trying to cover up the mess that the UK's domestic gas supply is in, especially given the onset of the cold spell.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 2:29 pm
Vi

rossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond repute

I agree he was an amazing player and from what i hear a very nice guy to both friends and fans alike.
The addiction of alcohol took his career and his life away from him and that is tragic however would we feel the same about him if our wife /husband/partner also needed a liver transplant and non was forthcoming and we watched them die..........would we feel the same sympathy for George knowing he had a second chance of life which he wasted and our loved ones died not having had that chance?
I dont pass judgment but its worth thinking about.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade

But I have to say I'm amazed by the coverage his death has received.
I'm waiting for his physician to launch a media career... he certainly seems to have enjoyed the press conferences, interviews and releases over the last few years. What will he do now? Get on with curing the sick perhaps?
Old Nov 26th 2005, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rossandvi
I agree he was an amazing player and from what i hear a very nice guy to both friends and fans alike.
The addiction of alcohol took his career and his life away from him and that is tragic however would we feel the same about him if our wife /husband/partner also needed a liver transplant and non was forthcoming and we watched them die..........would we feel the same sympathy for George knowing he had a second chance of life which he wasted and our loved ones died not having had that chance?
I dont pass judgment but its worth thinking about.
i completely understand what your saying, but i think alcoholism is a disease
and i have seen friends and family go through this. and i think some can escape and some can't. it just depend on the person. if a member of my family had needed a transplant and hadn't got one then maybe i would feel a little bitter yes.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 4:21 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps they are trying to cover up the mess that the UK's domestic gas supply is in, especially given the onset of the cold spell.
The coverage has been a bit over-the-top, but the gas supply thing's a non-story that barely rated page 9 in the broadsheets even when it first broke (since the issue is not one of supply but price). Main stories have been the stranded motorists on Bodmin and Jeffrey Archer's re-joining of the tories.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hutch
(since the issue is not one of supply but price).
The issue is supply if someone pays a higher price meaning your supply is affected.

Gas story
Old Nov 26th 2005, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

PROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant future

The issue is supply if someone pays a higher price meaning your supply is affected.

Gas story
As a football player (Even though he played for @&! Utd) the man had no peers, including Pele.

Let us not forget, he was given a 2nd chance in life and P!ssed it up a wall

RIP
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:39 pm
..and Family

Cadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PROLLINSON
As a football player (Even though he played for @&! Utd) the man had no peers, including Pele.

Let us not forget, he was given a 2nd chance in life and P!ssed it up a wall

RIP
we must also remember that just giving new internal organs doesn't cure alcoholism...
Old Nov 27th 2005, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

How old was he?
Old Nov 27th 2005, 7:51 pm
..and Family

Cadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Calgal
How old was he?
Born: 22 May, 1946 therefore he was 59
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:02 pm
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

R.I.P
My Son is 8 and was really sad to hear the sad news. He is a massive Man Utd fan. George Best should be remembered for his skills on the pitch and not what he did in his personal life. Noboby is perfect