Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

General inquiries for a newbie

General inquiries for a newbie

Old Aug 7th 2022, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General inquiries for a newbie

Originally Posted by Mjlittler90
Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for immigration services, I've seen a few, MDC, great North visa, Canadian immigration services but not sure which one to use. A Google search doesn't really clarify best rated ones either. I know they're all private company's but I just wondered if anyone had any memories of who they used?

Thanks again!

Matt
Unless you have very complicated circumstances, I suggest you’d be better off applying yourself, rather than paying rather a lot of your hard earned money to a company to do it for you. You still have to do most of the work in pulling things together and folk on this forum will offer advice if you have queries along the way.
Old Aug 7th 2022, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Mjlittler90 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I thought that would be the best way to go I, guess not. How do you go about applying yourself is it just through an embassy website?
Old Aug 7th 2022, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at the Wiki above for first steps? There’s a Beginners Guide to applying which would be a good first step - you’ll need to invest a bit of time to read and digest all the info. It will seem complicated at first but don’t let that put you off - it all starts to make more sense after a while.
Old Aug 7th 2022, 3:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mjlittler90
OK, I thought that would be the best way to go I, guess not. How do you go about applying yourself is it just through an embassy website?
As above, unless you have something like a criminal record or medical issues, no need to use a consultant, just do it yourself. Start with the eligibility tool on the official website -
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html

And if you do decide to use a consultant, make sure they're properly licensed - https://college-ic.ca/protecting-the...ion-consultant

HTH.
Old Aug 8th 2022, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

A side note: you mention you recognize Canada is a huge place, which is a good start. However, I'd recommend researching the differences of each province to understand, even at a superficial level, how they differ, what sort of landscapes they offer, what the local values are, the local climates, and so on. Some provinces in Canada are flat grasslands and are generally featureless and are thousands of miles away from the nearest mountains. Some provinces are extremely urban and industrial, great for jobs, but not so great if you're wanting true wilderness, which can be a four hour drive from the city. Some provinces are rural backwaters with old fashioned values where the nearest big city is a 12 hour drive away and everything is cheap for a reason. Others provinces are mountain wilderness, great for hiking but expensive, and a scary place to drive in the winter. And so on. These are all generalizatoins, but I make this point because in the UK you are never more than a short train ride away or a cheap flight from somewhere completely different. You want mountains? Fly to Switzerland. You want city life? Go to London or Manchester or wherever. You want rural village life? It's a short drive outside of town. In Canada, this is often not the case. Domestic flights are extremely expensive in Canada, trains sometimes only come three times per week, and if you wish to drive somewhere completely different, you may be in your car for a few days. So pick wisely. If the job is in a flat featureless prairie grassland but you're coming to Canada because you want mountains, you may learn the hard way your imagined lifestyle may not match the destination. So research the variations of each province to fully understand the picture of Canada in your mind meets the reality of Canada on the ground where you might end up.

Last edited by Lychee; Aug 8th 2022 at 9:09 pm.