Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

General info needed for UK plasterer

General info needed for UK plasterer

Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

vern753 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General info needed for UK plasterer

HI just joined the site and have a few questions, after hearing that canada is requiring plasterers i have looked around the net and have found my self a little confused with it all. I suppose that I am looking for point in the right direction as regards the general procedure in obtaining guaranteed work and then visas.
I have looked at the points system briefly and both me and my partner could qualify.

Im also looking for info regarding approx salary for both me as a plasterer and my partner as a pathology support worker.

what sort of work would a UK plasterer be carring out in canada? I understand that it is mainly taping but there has to be some sort of wet plastering.

We are still in the idea process at this moment and are just looking for any info that might help us

thanks
Steve and Kim
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General info needed for UK plasterer

Watching our house & neighbourhood being built and talking to the builders - 'true' plastering is only used when renovating very old houses. It's now just drywall with tape over the joints then a skim over that tape and around doors/windows so no plastering as you know it - same goes for the ceiling. Drywalling - self employed/subcontract, if you work a hell of a lot of hours I've been told $60,000-$70,000 per year but thats dependant on the province as building is on a slow down in a lot of places. Sorry can't help with work/visa, things have changed recently and I haven't really kept up with it.
Originally Posted by vern753
HI just joined the site and have a few questions, after hearing that canada is requiring plasterers i have looked around the net and have found my self a little confused with it all. I suppose that I am looking for point in the right direction as regards the general procedure in obtaining guaranteed work and then visas.
I have looked at the points system briefly and both me and my partner could qualify.

Im also looking for info regarding approx salary for both me as a plasterer and my partner as a pathology support worker.

what sort of work would a UK plasterer be carring out in canada? I understand that it is mainly taping but there has to be some sort of wet plastering.

We are still in the idea process at this moment and are just looking for any info that might help us

thanks
Steve and Kim
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:58 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Steve and Kim
There is definately work out there for plasterers - as the other poster said more in the taping side though. I know drywall companies across Canada are calling out for tapers - they are so thin on the ground that they get paid really well, and treated MUCH better than the drywall guys do.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:02 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

My OH's a plaster and it's good to know they get well paid in Canada, makes a change from here
Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:14 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
My OH's a plaster and it's good to know they get well paid in Canada, makes a change from here
It drives my OH crazy - he's a drywaller. The tapers basically get away with murder...because they know there is no-one to replace them! lol
Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:20 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
It drives my OH crazy - he's a drywaller. The tapers basically get away with murder...because they know there is no-one to replace them! lol
My OH's been a plaster a long time although he doesn't work at it 24/7 now. How come the tapers get paid more, surely it's an easier job than actually plastering?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

kirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to all

they never seem to of heard of plastering around here ... and rendering is called stucco nope dont know why either. They have alot of artec tho, but dont know what they call it ?

but tapers are treated like gods
the complete opposite to the UK where a taper is there to get over the drywallers problems ... The tapers here are incharge it seems, if they following a bad tacker they can get him sacked...
and they still begging for more tapers here even with the downturn...
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:43 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

Originally Posted by kirstya
they never seem to of heard of plastering around here ... and rendering is called stucco nope dont know why either. They have alot of artec tho, but dont know what they call it ?

but tapers are treated like gods
the complete opposite to the UK where a taper is there to get over the drywallers problems ... The tapers here are incharge it seems, if they following a bad tacker they can get him sacked...
and they still begging for more tapers here even with the downturn...
Thanks kirstya, we've got our PR already and just need to sell the house. We're heading to Ontario so hopefully my OH can get a job that pays well I've noticed that they seem to use stucco everywhere and no real pastering anywhere!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

vern753 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies people, does anyone know where these taper shortages are? have read a little about british columbia needing labour, I ask because I would like to contact some contractors over there and see what the scope is for work.

Thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:14 am

Thanks for the replies people, does anyone know where these taper shortages are? have read a little about british columbia needing labour, I ask because I would like to contact some contractors over there and see what the scope is for work.

Thanks
There are taper shortages across the whole of Canada - so you can really pick and choose where you want to go, rather than it being dictated to you