British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   General info needed for UK plasterer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/general-info-needed-uk-plasterer-588359/)

vern753 Jan 31st 2009 7:01 pm

General info needed for UK plasterer

HI just joined the site and have a few questions, after hearing that canada is requiring plasterers i have looked around the net and have found my self a little confused with it all. I suppose that I am looking for point in the right direction as regards the general procedure in obtaining guaranteed work and then visas.
I have looked at the points system briefly and both me and my partner could qualify.

Im also looking for info regarding approx salary for both me as a plasterer and my partner as a pathology support worker.

what sort of work would a UK plasterer be carring out in canada? I understand that it is mainly taping but there has to be some sort of wet plastering.

We are still in the idea process at this moment and are just looking for any info that might help us

thanks
Steve and Kim

macmike41 Jan 31st 2009 8:57 pm

Re: General info needed for UK plasterer

Watching our house & neighbourhood being built and talking to the builders - 'true' plastering is only used when renovating very old houses. It's now just drywall with tape over the joints then a skim over that tape and around doors/windows so no plastering as you know it - same goes for the ceiling. Drywalling - self employed/subcontract, if you work a hell of a lot of hours I've been told $60,000-$70,000 per year but thats dependant on the province as building is on a slow down in a lot of places. Sorry can't help with work/visa, things have changed recently and I haven't really kept up with it.

Originally Posted by vern753 (Post 7233916)
HI just joined the site and have a few questions, after hearing that canada is requiring plasterers i have looked around the net and have found my self a little confused with it all. I suppose that I am looking for point in the right direction as regards the general procedure in obtaining guaranteed work and then visas.
I have looked at the points system briefly and both me and my partner could qualify.

Im also looking for info regarding approx salary for both me as a plasterer and my partner as a pathology support worker.

what sort of work would a UK plasterer be carring out in canada? I understand that it is mainly taping but there has to be some sort of wet plastering.

We are still in the idea process at this moment and are just looking for any info that might help us

thanks
Steve and Kim

AmyDavid Jan 31st 2009 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by vern753 (Post 7233916)

thanks
Steve and Kim

There is definately work out there for plasterers - as the other poster said more in the taping side though. I know drywall companies across Canada are calling out for tapers - they are so thin on the ground that they get paid really well, and treated MUCH better than the drywall guys do.

FlirtyKnickers Jan 31st 2009 10:02 pm

My OH's a plaster and it's good to know they get well paid in Canada, makes a change from here:o

AmyDavid Jan 31st 2009 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers (Post 7234373)
My OH's a plaster and it's good to know they get well paid in Canada, makes a change from here:o

It drives my OH crazy - he's a drywaller. The tapers basically get away with murder...because they know there is no-one to replace them! lol

FlirtyKnickers Jan 31st 2009 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 7234393)
It drives my OH crazy - he's a drywaller. The tapers basically get away with murder...because they know there is no-one to replace them! lol

My OH's been a plaster a long time although he doesn't work at it 24/7 now. How come the tapers get paid more, surely it's an easier job than actually plastering?

kirstya Feb 1st 2009 3:04 am

they never seem to of heard of plastering around here ... and rendering is called stucco nope dont know why either. They have alot of artec tho, but dont know what they call it ?

but tapers are treated like gods
the complete opposite to the UK where a taper is there to get over the drywallers problems ... The tapers here are incharge it seems, if they following a bad tacker they can get him sacked...
and they still begging for more tapers here even with the downturn...

FlirtyKnickers Feb 1st 2009 9:43 am

Originally Posted by kirstya (Post 7234872)
they never seem to of heard of plastering around here ... and rendering is called stucco nope dont know why either. They have alot of artec tho, but dont know what they call it ?

but tapers are treated like gods
the complete opposite to the UK where a taper is there to get over the drywallers problems ... The tapers here are incharge it seems, if they following a bad tacker they can get him sacked...
and they still begging for more tapers here even with the downturn...

Thanks kirstya, we've got our PR already and just need to sell the house. We're heading to Ontario so hopefully my OH can get a job that pays well:thumbup: I've noticed that they seem to use stucco everywhere and no real pastering anywhere!:blink:

vern753 Feb 1st 2009 3:45 pm

Thanks for the replies people, does anyone know where these taper shortages are? have read a little about british columbia needing labour, I ask because I would like to contact some contractors over there and see what the scope is for work.

Thanks

AmyDavid Feb 2nd 2009 12:14 am

Originally Posted by vern753 (Post 7236375)
Thanks for the replies people, does anyone know where these taper shortages are? have read a little about british columbia needing labour, I ask because I would like to contact some contractors over there and see what the scope is for work.

Thanks

There are taper shortages across the whole of Canada - so you can really pick and choose where you want to go, rather than it being dictated to you :)