Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

General advice please on where to start?

General advice please on where to start?

Old Nov 25th 2013, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

trixyangel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General advice please on where to start?

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on a forum so I hope I'm doing it right! My boyfriend and I are both 22 and are looking at moving to Canada. We both live in London at the moment but would like to move abroad. I have read quite a few posts on here but was hoping you guys could give me some general advice?

My boyfriend is currently on an Electricians Apprenticeship and should be qualified in September 2015 and I am a Manager within a London Borough Council. I've been reading a lot on here and was wondering if I want to try and get a job in Canada would I be better off getting some kind of degree, at the moment I only have GCSE's?

We're looking at booking a trip to Canada for about 3 weeks or so to do some sightseeing and get a feel for the place and see whether it's right for us as well as take a look at some of the businesses there and try and get some contacts. We're also going to a Canada Live event in London in February to get some info about living costs, immigration etc.

Is there anything else you think we should be doing in the meantime to help us in the future if we decide to apply? Thank you so much for any advice in advance!

Old Nov 25th 2013, 9:37 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General advice please on where to start?

Hi, welcome to our merry band! www.cic.gs.ca will be your friend (well, sort of). I'd have a look there and at the wiki (top of this page) for start-off information.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rivingtonpike,

Thank you for the links!
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trixyangel
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on a forum so I hope I'm doing it right! My boyfriend and I are both 22 and are looking at moving to Canada. We both live in London at the moment but would like to move abroad. I have read quite a few posts on here but was hoping you guys could give me some general advice?

My boyfriend is currently on an Electricians Apprenticeship and should be qualified in September 2015 and I am a Manager within a London Borough Council. I've been reading a lot on here and was wondering if I want to try and get a job in Canada would I be better off getting some kind of degree, at the moment I only have GCSE's?

We're looking at booking a trip to Canada for about 3 weeks or so to do some sightseeing and get a feel for the place and see whether it's right for us as well as take a look at some of the businesses there and try and get some contacts. We're also going to a Canada Live event in London in February to get some info about living costs, immigration etc.

Is there anything else you think we should be doing in the meantime to help us in the future if we decide to apply? Thank you so much for any advice in advance!

A very wise decision.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:27 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely it would be a good idea for you guys to do a trip out here and to see if you like it.

Given your ages, easiest way to get work visas would be IEC. That will give you a one-year work permit for Canada. YOu can extend it for a second year, but if you want to stay after that you'll need to sort out another form as you can't have IEC for more than two years. The IEC program will open in the next month or two. Spaces are very limited - I think they were gone within 24 hours the past two years, so depending when you're thinking, you may have to either move extremely quickly, or wait until next year.

There is a bucket of information about IEC and other work permits on the Wiki, I suggest you make yourself a cup of tea and have a good read through what's there then come back with more questions.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Hi, welcome to our merry band! www.cic.gs.ca will be your friend (well, sort of).

it won't, but www.cic.gc.ca might be...
Old Nov 26th 2013, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks SchnookoLoly! We're not in any rush at the moment we're just trying to get as much info as possible and also save up some money. My boyfriend would need to finish his qualification first as well and I'm looking into whether I would be better off getting some form of qualification in Management or similar to help me to try and get a position. I'll definitely have a read of the IEC with a large cup of tea!