Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GCSEs/High School Dip - ICES evaluation?

GCSEs/High School Dip - ICES evaluation?

Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default GCSEs/High School Dip - ICES evaluation?

The International Credential Evaluation Service in Burnaby has told me they can evaluate British GCSEs against the Canadian High School Diploma. Has anyone had this level of qualifications evaluated, and if so, what do you actually get? Is it a letter comparing the two, or something similar.

I have been told/read online several times that the HSD is equivalent to 5 GCSEs, grades A-C, including Maths, English and, I think, French. True?

Last edited by singingringingtree; Aug 27th 2010 at 9:11 am.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GCSEs/High School Dip - ICES evaluation?

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
The International Credential Evaluation Service in Burnaby has told me they can evaluate British GCSEs against the Canadian High School Diploma. Has anyone had this level of qualifications evaluated, and if so, what do you actually get? Is it a letter comparing the two, or something similar.

I have been told/read online several times that the HSD is equivalent to 5 GCSEs, grades A-C, including Maths, English and, I think, French. True?
High school is comparable to somewhere between A level and O level. Cannot see where you would need an equvalency certificate. This is more needed for higher education and professional quals.

If you put a UK school on your resume and put high school equivalent as qualifications, most employers for that level of job would accept that.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Aviator
This is more needed for higher education and professional quals.

If you put a UK school on your resume and put high school equivalent as qualifications, most employers for that level of job would accept that.
Thanks for that Aviator, that's helpful and good to know. It's really for my daughter, she will be studying further, in Canada, after A levels, but will want to work weekends/eves while she studies (waitressing, shop, barista etc).

As you say, AS level over here seems to be the age they leave High School in Canada, but their colleges only seem to be interested in the GCSE results
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Aviator, that's helpful and good to know. It's really for my daughter, she will be studying further, in Canada, after A levels, but will want to work weekends/eves while she studies (waitressing, shop, barista etc).

As you say, AS level over here seems to be the age they leave High School in Canada, but their colleges only seem to be interested in the GCSE results
If she want to go into further education, many schools will recognise foreign qualifications, such as GSCE Advanced level.

For casual work could list on her resume as;

'General Certificate in Education - Advanced Level
- List subjects

Equivalent to Canadian High School Diploma.'
Old Aug 27th 2010, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Northernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant future

My 18 year old just applied to Georgian College here in Barrie. She's taking a gap year but wanted to do some study here so she could build up a portfolio prior to applying to Uni and to make some friends. I stupidly left all her GCSE/AS certs in UK by mistake. When you apply to college/Uni here in Ontario you usually apply through OCAS (Canada's version of UCAS) and they will instruct you to get the UK quals evaluated through www.ontariocolleges at a cost of about $50....think it used to be free but not anymore!
We were lucky that Georgian allowed her to take a CPA test (basically a multiple choice English test at a cost of $30 to prove she had a good level of English) which is meant to be for mature students over 19. She passed that and has now been offered a place starting Sept 7.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that info Northernlass1. Doesn't sound as daunting as I thought. I'm glad your daughter has got her place sorted.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Northernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant future

If you have time I'd get colour photocopies of all her certs and get the school to stamp and sign them. Its probably better to send notarised copies rather then the originals incase you don't get them back. Daughter applied to U of T (Toronto Uni) last October (long story..chose wrong course and didn't get in). I sent them notarised copies of GCE's and AS levels. When she applied to Georgian www.ontariocolleges suggested we ring U of T and ask them to forward the copies of the certs to them. I rang U of T, was told to put it in writing, was then told it would go to committee to decide if they would forward them, I've never heard another thing from them hence why she sat the english test. I could have had the originals sent from UK but www.ontariocolleges advised against it incase they got lost...they also suggested she try to sit the CPA test. Have to say everyone has been incredibly helpful (apart from U of T but thats in their nature!!)...basically you just need to ask over here and people really do their best to find a solution
Old Aug 28th 2010, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I needed to have my UK qualifications looked at by ICES to prove I had equivalent of Canadian high school education, so I could start the realtors course here in Alberta. I could only find two of my A' Level certificates and they assessed me as having the equivalent of high school education and a year of University.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, that sounds about what I was guessing. What did you actually get from ICES, was it a letter or something? Also, can I ask what sort of cost? Thanks Snorkmaiden.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Northernlass1
If you have time I'd get colour photocopies of all her certs and get the school to stamp and sign them. Its probably better to send notarised copies rather then the originals incase you don't get them back.
Excellent idea, I'll get a couple of sets done. I am loathed to send originals to anyone.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that sounds about what I was guessing. What did you actually get from ICES, was it a letter or something? Also, can I ask what sort of cost? Thanks Snorkmaiden.
They sent me a letter and my cert back, and they sent a letter directly to the Realtors Association too. I think it cost $125.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
They sent me a letter and my cert back, and they sent a letter directly to the Realtors Association too. I think it cost $125.
Brilliant. Thanks for that.