Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GB Pound Vs CAD Dollar - HOW LOW CAN IT GO?

GB Pound Vs CAD Dollar - HOW LOW CAN IT GO?

Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GB Pound Vs CAD Dollar - HOW LOW CAN IT GO?

Originally Posted by johnh009
If they can, I think it is more of a case of the US dollar falling than the Canadian dollar rising. Most economists are saying get used to the high C$ dollar.
Pound is also significantly higher against the Euro today
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Can you bring it over in more frequent and lesser amounts? Is there a threshold beneath which you can avoid capital gains tax?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Rumours about QE being paused or something apparently.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by elizabeth_action
Can you bring it over in more frequent and lesser amounts? Is there a threshold beneath which you can avoid capital gains tax?
50% of your gain is taxable at your tax rate. You can also claim a capital loss, if applicable, to be offset against any future gains:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4037/t4037-e.html
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elizabeth_action
The only way to do this would be to bring it over in a year when your marginal rate is lower, thereby lowering the amount you pay or bringing small amounts once a year. This all depends on your personal circumstances and you should really consult an accountant.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 10:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
The only way to do this would be to bring it over in a year when your marginal rate is lower, thereby lowering the amount you pay or bringing small amounts once a year. This all depends on your personal circumstances and you should really consult an accountant.
I bet most people just transfer the cash and don't even give the tax implications a second thought. I know I did (not that I have a gain to declare)
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about

If at 'Landing' say the exchange rate is 1.75.

Then you remain in Canada for 6mths so becoming a tax resident, i suppose it would be fair to assume that you pay tax on income earned from the date of landing and that this would include any gains made on the exchange rate higher than 1.75.

What if tax ties with the UK are not severed and an individual returns to the UK before the 183day mark, how long would he need to stay in the UK to get round the 183 limit or would it just continue when they got back to Canada?

I think i know the answer to this but its 1am and i'm tired so i'd like a clear headed response if someones got one.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
[...]
It is important we point out some key economic facts- because there has been some slightly misleading information posted in this thread and talk of the Canadian economy doing well and being ahead of the UK is frankly ludicrous.

1/ Canada has a national debt at 64% of it's GDP versus the UK which is 57%.
[...]
That's misleading indeed. You seem to be comparing an early 2009 UK figure with a 2007 Canadian one.

At first glance, a proper 2007-to-2007 comparison looks even worse: UK 44.1%, Canada 64.2% (source: IMF).

But a single-point-in-time comparison is of little benefit; the currency markets are concerned more with the likely future trajectory of the debt-to-GDP ratios. The IMF's most recent projections for those are:

2009 - UK 62.7 / Canada 75.6
2010 - UK 72.7 / Canada 76.6
2014 - UK 87.8 / Canada 65.4
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:05 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dis-Illusionist
If at 'Landing' say the exchange rate is 1.75.

Then you remain in Canada for 6mths so becoming a tax resident, i suppose it would be fair to assume that you pay tax on income earned from the date of landing and that this would include any gains made on the exchange rate higher than 1.75.

What if tax ties with the UK are not severed and an individual returns to the UK before the 183day mark, how long would he need to stay in the UK to get round the 183 limit or would it just continue when they got back to Canada?

I think i know the answer to this but its 1am and i'm tired so i'd like a clear headed response if someones got one.
Don't get caught up with the 183 day issue. Tax residency is a question of fact and there are many different facts to be considered. Essentially you become tax resident in Canada when you move here to live. If you land but don't move to Canada to live straight away then the Canadian government has no interest in your forex gains or losses.

However, once you move to Canada to live you become tax resident here, and you will remain so until you leave Canada and sever all residential ties. If you do cease to be a tax resident in Canada all your world-wide assets will be deemed to be sold and required on that date, so the CRA capture any unrealized capital gains that occurred while you were a Canadian tax resident. There are many exceptions, but the point is, once you are a tax resident of Canada you cannot escape taxation of gains or income simply by having temporary absences from the country.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Don't get caught up with the 183 day issue. Tax residency is a question of fact and there are many different facts to be considered. Essentially you become tax resident in Canada when you move here to live. If you land but don't move to Canada to live straight away then the Canadian government has no interest in your forex gains or losses.

However, once you move to Canada to live you become tax resident here, and you will remain so until you leave Canada and sever all residential ties. If you do cease to be a tax resident in Canada all your world-wide assets will be deemed to be sold and required on that date, so the CRA capture any unrealized capital gains that occurred while you were a Canadian tax resident. There are many exceptions, but the point is, once you are a tax resident of Canada you cannot escape taxation of gains or income simply by having temporary absences from the country.
Am I right in thinking that Canada is the same as the UK in that if you don't need to pay any tax you don't need to declare it (i.e. if your gain is less than the threshold)?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Maybe not for long. Possibly five billion more going into Lloyds and the government does not really have the money on hand to lend. Nothing more than a dead cat bounce.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...r-darling-cash
Old Oct 16th 2009, 3:55 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Am I right in thinking that Canada is the same as the UK in that if you don't need to pay any tax you don't need to declare it (i.e. if your gain is less than the threshold)?
That's right, you do not need to file a tax return if you don't owe any tax. Unless they ask you to of course.

There is no general capital gains threshold in Canada so you usually pay tax on half of every dollar you earn. That said, there is a de minimis limit of $200 gain/loss on forex so you don't have to worry about gains and losses on holiday money.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE
That's right, you do not need to file a tax return if you don't owe any tax. Unless they ask you to of course.

There is no general capital gains threshold in Canada so you usually pay tax on half of every dollar you earn. That said, there is a de minimis limit of $200 gain/loss on forex so you don't have to worry about gains and losses on holiday money.
As I said, I never considered the tax implications last year when I transferred, I was just after the best price. Didn't make any "profit" though, so I'm not feeling guilty about not thinking about it and thus not declaring it.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

SNOWDUDE is an unknown quantity at this point

Today - 1GBP = 1.68 CAD

Everyone will it on!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

SNOWDUDE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Which still leaves you $140K better off. What's your beef?
If it panned out that way, unstable rates resulting in having to shell out $20K for sod all, thats the price of a good car over there isnt it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.