Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GB Pound Vs CAD Dollar - HOW LOW CAN IT GO?

GB Pound Vs CAD Dollar - HOW LOW CAN IT GO?

Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GB Pound Vs CAD Dollar - HOW LOW CAN IT GO?

Originally Posted by Southcote
Is that right - I wasn't aware of that. How do you benefit, as a credit on your capital gains allowance ?
A capital loss can only be offset against a capital gain. If you don't have any capital gains in the year you can carry the loss bacttk three years and offset it against any gains in those years. If none, you carry it forward indefinitely until you make a capital gain you can use.

In your final return you can usually claim unused capital losses, but as you are dead by then you probably won't care.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:20 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deva
With countries running massive deficits current debt levels are only relevant as a starting point for where debt will be in 3-5 years. What's your take on UK vs Canada deficits? I think Canada is a clear winner there.

One can also debate about what is included in the 64% and 57%. Provincial debt? Unfunded pension liabilities? PFI?

Small difference in unemployment and central bank rates? In the current, very unstable economic environment who cares? I'm pretty sure Canada has always had a higher unemployment rate than the UK by some measures.

Of course speculation plays a role FX. And speculation is normally rooted in some reality.
I am not quite understanding the deficit question. I do believe that in Canada they have started to take measures to cut spending already where as in the UK this is clearly not going to happen till after the next election (mid next year I suspect).

To me national debt is national debt- it is the money that a country owes. I am sure the two countries owe money on different things but they still owe money of which Canada owes more.

The point with unemployment is that it continues to rise in both countries at around the same rate. Job security is not any greater than in Canada and I doubt business confidence is either.

Speculation plays a big part in all markets and is reknowned for distorting reality largely due to human beings and "herd behaviour".

I appreciate Canada has oil but I have several freinds who work for BP and they have told me that the Calgary Oil Sands has not been the golden goose they thought it was and the extraction of the oil has been far more difficult and expensive than they ever anticipated.

Apologies for not multi-quoting I have just come in from Wembley watching England- Belarus. I am very tired and I have a long day tomorrow.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
I too would be interested to hear more about this - we landed around a year and a half ago, with exchange about $2.10, and we need to move some of our English cash over now; it won't wait. How do we claim this as a loss????

Thanks so much!
Complete section 5 of schedule 3 and file this with your tax return.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

omro is an unknown quantity at this point

Do we think it will go back up any time soon? Rough guess of course.

I am skeptical we'll see 1:2 again for a very long time if at all.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:21 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In your final return you can usually claim unused capital losses, but as you are dead by then you probably won't care.
Sod that, I'm claiming it and taking it with me!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by James Martindale
I am not quite understanding the deficit question. I do believe that in Canada they have started to take measures to cut spending already where as in the UK this is clearly not going to happen till after the next election (mid next year I suspect).

To me national debt is national debt- it is the money that a country owes. I am sure the two countries owe money on different things but they still owe money of which Canada owes more.
The UK deficit is likely to be in the £175-200 billion range for the current year and could prove very difficult to get under control. The UK had deficits during the boom years and it is yet to be seen if any UK political party has the strength to bring the fiscal situation under control.

Canada's deficit this year should be around $60 billion. This is a much smaller percentage of GDP. Canada ran surpluses during the boom years and I think tackling the deficit is seen as a political priority.

The result? National debt is growing at a much faster rate in the UK than in Canada. If the UK's debt % does not already exceed Canada's it will soon and the gap will widen dramatically in the coming years in Canada's favour.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 1:52 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

wow, $1.63 I haven't checked the rate for ages. I feel sorry for the poor bastards moving over here this month...hopefully it gets better.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:28 am
mck
Just Joined

mck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gryphea
Souvy

Can you not just get it sent into a sterling account in Canada? HSBC have one

Of course I realise you need to eat etc and so it has to be transferred into a CAD $ account at some time, but at least you would be in control of it then?
Scotsman gets bumped off
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:13 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

The UK deficit is likely to be in the £175-200 billion range for the current year and could prove very difficult to get under control. The UK had deficits during the boom years and it is yet to be seen if any UK political party has the strength to bring the fiscal situation under control.

Canada's deficit this year should be around $60 billion. This is a much smaller percentage of GDP. Canada ran surpluses during the boom years and I think tackling the deficit is seen as a political priority.

The result? National debt is growing at a much faster rate in the UK than in Canada. If the UK's debt % does not already exceed Canada's it will soon and the gap will widen dramatically in the coming years in Canada's favour.
We will see.

You have to remember that in the UK you are likely to get a majority government who will have 5 years to execute their plan. In Canada there seems to be an election every two years- never a majority and policey implementation problems.

Also even if Canada does cut their deficit marginally quicker does this explain a 30% shift in exchange rate in the last 12 months???? As mentioned both countries are in recession, have low interest rates and rising unemployment.

It has been around 2 dollars for every pound for the last 30 years according to recent stats published by another wise poster on here. It is inevitable that soon Canadian exporters will start to struggle forcing the Canadian government to act on the strength of their currency.

The other big factor swings back to the fact that anyone holding any currency other than the pound would be wise now to consider buying pounds while things are low and everyone else appears to be selling. In the next 2 or 3 months everyone else will cotton on to the undervaluation of the pound and start buying it shifing it upward again (Herd Behaviour).

I stand by my belief that this time next year we will see the pound back towards the 1.85-1.95 level.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice

Currently at 1.676 - up 4c or 2.5% today!

I guess 'volatile' is the word.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

We will see.

It is inevitable that soon Canadian exporters will start to struggle forcing the Canadian government to act on the strength of their currency.
If they can, I think it is more of a case of the US dollar falling than the Canadian dollar rising. Most economists are saying get used to the high C$ dollar.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

We will see.

The other big factor swings back to the fact that anyone holding any currency other than the pound would be wise now to consider buying pounds while things are low and everyone else appears to be selling. In the next 2 or 3 months everyone else will cotton on to the undervaluation of the pound and start buying it shifing it upward again (Herd Behaviour).

I stand by my belief that this time next year we will see the pound back towards the 1.85-1.95 level.
Of course, sell high - buy low. Amazing how many people cannot grasp this.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

We will see.

You have to remember that in the UK you are likely to get a majority government who will have 5 years to execute their plan. In Canada there seems to be an election every two years- never a majority and policey implementation problems.

Also even if Canada does cut their deficit marginally quicker does this explain a 30% shift in exchange rate in the last 12 months???? As mentioned both countries are in recession, have low interest rates and rising unemployment.

It has been around 2 dollars for every pound for the last 30 years according to recent stats published by another wise poster on here. It is inevitable that soon Canadian exporters will start to struggle forcing the Canadian government to act on the strength of their currency.

I agree if the CAD/UK exchange rate returns to historic norms then it should be at $2 again within a couple of years or so. However, it does depend on whether the new UK government has the political strength and desire to do what needs to be done to reduce public spending. If they back off or are half-hearted about it then we could be entering uncharted territory.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

I agree a minority government will be a comparative disadvantage. But you have to realise that having slayed the deficit in the 1990's, and then run nearly 10 years of surpluses, there is a commitment to low or no deficits across all parties in Canada that doesn't exist in the UK. When it comes to deficit reduction Canada has 'been there, done that'.

The Canadian deficit is around 4% of GDP. The UK deficit is approx. 12%. Canada could run a 4% annual deficit forever. Several years of 12% will cause huge damage in the UK. This is what I believe is driving the exchange rate. Until the markets see a coherent plan to get the UK deficit back to 5% or so I believe sterling is likely to languish.

If history was a perfect predictor for future events we would all be rich. The economic upheaval of the past couple of years has been so great who knows what the future holds.

What can the Canadian government do to weaken the dollar? The FX market is so massive it is difficult for anyone to influence it.

I think it's unlikely but it could happen and I hope it does. We still have significant savings in the UK and my wife's income is earned in pounds. 2+ looks impossible to me for the next 3-5 years at least.

Anyhow, enough boring economics stuff. I'm off to Florida to enjoy the exchange rate. Packing awaits.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anyhow, enough boring economics stuff. I'm off to Florida to enjoy the exchange rate. Packing awaits.
Maybe buy some property while you are down there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.