Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GB Pound Vs CAD Dollar - HOW LOW CAN IT GO?

GB Pound Vs CAD Dollar - HOW LOW CAN IT GO?

Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: GB Pound Vs CAD Dollar - HOW LOW CAN IT GO?

Originally Posted by Madhouse
I'll second that! What a nightmare. Still, as others have said before in this thread, our move to Canada is not based solely on financial reasons. However, we are reconsidering our expectations of the house we will be able to afford! Even so, we will still be able to afford a much bigger place than in the UK. Great thread.
Here, here, Madhouse. Whilst the current economic climate isn't as rosy as it has been in the "good ol' days", it's not going to put us off our application. We're going to submit our FSW1 application in the next few months, so things might have picked up by the time we land (assuming we get the visa, of course!). However, so long as we actually have the required funds to land at that time, we'll be going. Can't put a price on happiness!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: GB Pound Vs CAD Dollar - HOW LOW CAN IT GO?

Originally Posted by Madhouse
I'll second that! What a nightmare. Still, as others have said before in this thread, our move to Canada is not based solely on financial reasons. However, we are reconsidering our expectations of the house we will be able to afford! Even so, we will still be able to afford a much bigger place than in the UK. Great thread.
Before coming to Canada, years ago I used to base myself in the UK and just work overseas on a contract basis. Often I think that was a better way to go.

Last edited by johnh009; Oct 12th 2009 at 2:03 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Before coming to Canada, years ago I used to base myself in the UK and just work overseas on a contract basis. Often I think that was a better way to go.
I pretty much did the same, although I did not get much choice where I went. Much preferred coming home to Canada.
Not keen on this retirement lark though. Now looking for a job, much to the OH delight.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

WendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant future

We are waiting to exchange on our house at the minute. The exchange rate is causing lots of grief in our household. Everytime I check it it's even lower!

I want to go regardless but my husband is having a hissy fit and thinks we should pull out of the sale of our house and wait it out here. If we do this we'll never go as my oldest child is 16 at the end of the week.

I'd happily leave my money over here and transfer what we need as it comes along, but we're stuck with needing to buy a house as we are taking over four cats and two dogs and will not find a rental that will let us have all those.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:23 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNOWDUDE
There have been a lot of interesting points on here, a big shock was learning of the double whammy effect of being hit over the head with a low rate followed by a kick in the pants CGT hit if the rate subsequently increases.

I have looked at the rates over the last 20 years (see below averages for each year) and what it does show is that the current rate is not unusual in the long term. If we see our application though, our predicament would then be wether to make an early landing / transfer on the assumption things will get worse - in one of the years I listed the lowest rate was in the $1.30s !!!! or wait it out till the last possible minute which with meds this month would be Oct 10. The only thing I can pin any hope on is that the Tories will grasp the nettle on public spending etc and that the markets will respond positively.And yes I know I'm assuming they will win - but baring a miracle Gordon is gone.

Year Average
1979 $2.49
1980 $2.72
1981 $2.43
1982 $2.16
1983 $1.87
1984 $1.73
1985 $1.77
1986 $2.04
1987 $2.17
1988 $2.19
1989 $1.94
1990 $2.08
1991 $2.03
1992 $2.13
1993 $1.94
1994 $2.09
1995 $2.17
1996 $2.13
1997 $2.27
1998 $2.16
1999 $2.40
2000 $2.25
2001 $2.23
2002 $2.36
2003 $2.29
2004 $2.38
2005 $2.21
2006 $2.09
2007 $2.15
2008 $1.96
2009 $1.80

Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by montpro
Hhhmmm, scary reading - especially for anyone who has become 'tax resident' at $1.70 to the £ and still has assets (cash/property) in the UK !!!!
I am starting to think that they are softening the UK public up for entry into the Euro. The Czech Republic has just signed the Lisbon Treaty and there is only one more country left in the EU to sign (Italy) I believe. Watch the pound stabilise when it reaches around par with the Euro, then, Brown will drop the news on the British public. Remember, he also signed the Lisbon Treaty for the UK, also without consulting the public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Lisbon

Last edited by johnh009; Oct 13th 2009 at 11:36 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:01 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I am starting to think that they are softening the UK public up for entry into the Euro. The Czech Republic has just signed the Lisbon Treaty and there is only one more country left in the EU to sign (Italy) I believe. Watch the pound stabilise when it reaches around par with the Euro, then, Brown will drop the news on the British public. Remember, he also signed the Lisbon Treaty for the UK, also without consulting the public.

I doubt this. Brown won't give up being able to print money as this will mean that debts actually have to be repaid.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I doubt this. Brown won't give up being able to print money as this will mean that debts actually have to be repaid.
That's true, but his buddy Tony Blair is making waves to become Head of the European Parliament so Brown may have it forced on him. But, yes, you are correct, given their debt, the UK would not actually qualify to join the Euro currency.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Should have joined the Euro from the beginning.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:28 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this is the case. The last thing the UK needs at the moment is interest rates being set by a European central bank. I think we may get the Euro eventually buit I think it will be implemented when the Labour Party come back in 15 years.

I think people need to stop panicing (I for one have- but in times like this you need to be rational). The pound and US Dollar are both fairing badly at the moment and that is because traditionally they were viewed as solid currencies for currency speculators. Now is probably a good time to stock up on pounds if you have another currency as I think in the next 3/4 months it will hit the bottom and the rebound will begin. I will not put a time on the rebound but I expect the pound to be higher versus the Euro and Canadian dollar in 12 months than it is now.

Remember currency is a market in it's own right and linking the currency to the negative situation in the UK is a dangerous game to play.

It is important we point out some key economic facts- because there has been some slightly misleading information posted in this thread and talk of the Canadian economy doing well and being ahead of the UK is frankly ludicrous.

1/ Canada has a national debt at 64% of it's GDP versus the UK which is 57%.

2/ I know it may be measured differently and I don't have the figure to hand but unemployment is still higher in Canada.

3/ The central interest rate in Canada is 0.25% versus 0.5% in the UK.

The bottomline for me is there is no other factor than speculative currency trading that explains the current rate of exchange between the pound and the canadian dollar. Therefore I re-iterate that the bottom is just around the corner.

Last edited by JamesM; Oct 14th 2009 at 9:41 am.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Really? £2b wasted by April 2007 and Gold now hitting an all time high? I call that throwing money away!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1654931.ece

another reason to add to the list of why i'm off!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

SNOWDUDE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by James Martindale
I don't think this is the case. The last thing the UK needs at the moment is interest rates being set by a European central bank. I think we may get the Euro eventually buit I think it will be implemented when the Labour Party come back in 15 years.

I think people need to stop panicing (I for one have- but in times like this you need to be rational). The pound and US Dollar are both fairing badly at the moment and that is because traditionally they were viewed as solid currencies for currency speculators. Now is probably a good time to stock up on pounds if you have another currency as I think in the next 3/4 months it will hit the bottom and the rebound will begin. I will not put a time on the rebound but I expect the pound to be higher versus the Euro and Canadian dollar in 12 months than it is now.

Remember currency is a market in it's own right and linking the currency to the negative situation in the UK is a dangerous game to play.

It is important we point out some key economic facts- because there has been some slightly misleading information posted in this thread and talk of the Canadian economy doing well and being ahead of the UK is frankly ludicrous.

2/ I know it may be measured differently and I don't have the figure to hand but unemployment is still higher in Canada.

The bottomline for me is there is no other factor than speculative currency trading that explains the current rate of exchange between the pound and the canadian dollar. Therefore I re-iterate that the bottom is just around the corner.
I sincerely hope youre correct. Our problem is it looks as if our visas will be issued before the end of this year so we potentially face "landing" at a time with very low rates. From previous contributors to this thread I understand that a low rate creates the potential for a significant Canadian CGT charge if the rate improves. Below is a little scenario which is my understanding of how CGT would apply to an improvement in rates between "landing" and bringing over the bulk of your assets, it would be great to hear comments on this from any of you tax experts out there.

Scenario,

Land - 1 Jan 2010 when the exchange rate is say; $1.60

Left behind UK assests, house(rented out) & savings valued at £350K or $560K on the date of landing.

1 Jan 2011 exchange rate say,$2.00, UK house sold & savings transferred to Canada and now worth $700k (assuming no other capital growth)

Capital gain due to improvement in exchange rate = $160K (CGT payable on 50%) therefore tax to pay in Canada would be $20.3k

Last edited by SNOWDUDE; Oct 14th 2009 at 10:25 am. Reason: Corrections
Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by James Martindale

Good post. I am moving back to the UK in a couple of months so I am loving this exchange rate. Canada, however, does have significant mineral wealth which will bring in money when the World economy improves. Who owns these companies that mines the minerals and how the government manage the money when they get it is a different story.

Maybe with an election around the corner, the pound is being manipulated downwards as a last ditch attempt by Brown to revive the economy.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:31 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNKH
Really? £2b wasted by April 2007 and Gold now hitting an all time high? I call that throwing money away!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1654931.ece

another reason to add to the list of why i'm off!
So he's just spent £2b? He can always get more paper, the BOE have already printed over £150b for him.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNOWDUDE

Scenario,

Land - 1 Jan 2010 when the exchange rate is say; $1.60

Left behind UK assests, house(rented out) & savings valued at £350K or $560K on the date of landing.

1 Jan 2011 exchange rate say,$2.00, UK house sold & savings transferred to Canada and now worth $700k (assuming no other capital growth)

Capital gain due to improvement in exchange rate = $160K (CGT payable on 50%) therefore tax to pay in Canada would be $20.3k
Which still leaves you $140K better off. What's your beef?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.